PDA

View Full Version : CW Vets results

ChrisHeaps
-16th November 2014, 18:00
Am I missing something or are there no results from the CW Vets being posted on the competition website during the day?

Seems a bit, well, you know.

jahl
-16th November 2014, 19:26
I've had a text to say Chris Howser, OPS Epee, England has won the Men's Epee but do not know any other results.

Keith.A.Smith
-16th November 2014, 19:50
I think Jane Hutchison has won the sabre.

Nick E
-17th November 2014, 07:05
After the excitement of last week, is there really no coverage, posting of results, or anything for the Vets??? Very disappointing I have to say.

bafco
-17th November 2014, 07:07
After the excitement of last week, is there really no coverage, posting of results, or anything for the Vets??? Very disappointing I have to say.

Nothing on the web site this morning. As for the web site itself I am afraid the only thing I can say is "the 1990's called, they'd like their web site back".

M'son
-17th November 2014, 08:00
Ditto disappointment.
I understand that George won the 50+ medal beating a Candian 10/5 . Jane beat a fencer from Singapore in the final 10/9 and it was Chris Howser v Leslie McDonald in the mens epee final with Chris winning.
Sorry don't know much else as carrier pigeon was too tired !

Nick E
-17th November 2014, 14:50
If this works I have attached photos of the Men's Epee rankings sent down by Chris Howser.

Gav
-17th November 2014, 14:56

I don't know very much about the vets competition to be honest. It's being run by a different team from last week and that's about it. I've let the powers-that-be know. I know that local net issues from last week have rolled into this and there's fewer staff on hand to jump to it. that's all I really know.

Keith.A.Smith
-17th November 2014, 18:35
Any results from today?

cesh_fencing
-17th November 2014, 19:00
Only finish so far is ME Team

1st Canada
2nd England
3rd Aus

WS team and WF individual up to final..

cesh_fencing
-17th November 2014, 20:32
Gillian Worman wins Women's Foil and Jim Crawford Men's Sabre

Women's sabre team - Only result not put up in Hotel..

kdavidson
-17th November 2014, 21:20
CVFC Women's team sabre
Gold - England
Silver - Scotland
Bronze - Australia

kdavidson
-17th November 2014, 21:20
CVFC Men's team epee
Gold - Canada
Silver - England
Bronze - Australia

kdavidson
-17th November 2014, 21:21
CVFC Women's foil
Gold - Gillian Worman (NIR)
Silver - Kate O'Connell (ENG)
Bronze - Jenny Bonney-Millett (AUS) and Sheila Anderson (SCO)

kdavidson
-17th November 2014, 21:37
CVFC Men's sabre
Gold - Jim Crawfurd (WAL)
Silver - Michael Howard (AUS)
Bronze - Rob Penton (WAL) and Pete Hutton (ENG)

Steve Johnson
-18th November 2014, 01:26
Here I was, wondering if the vets were going to get a continuation of the excellent live streaming video coverage from last week, or which kept me up at night during the Vet Worlds from Hungary recently. I took it for granted that we were going to get the in-progress results so those of us who couldn't be there could share in the excitement. I mean, the infrastructure is there, all you need to do is not take it away immediately, right?

Apparently not.

I do the rankings and results for Western Australia as a volunteer, so I have some idea of what's involved. If I had Engarde and an Internet connection, I could get at least a full final ranking page on the Internet a minute or two after each event ended. It's not rocket science.

I now understand the view expressed by one of my international representative friends that he dislikes the joint open/vet Commonwealths, because when the vet comps stand alone the athletes are treated with respect rather than as an afterthought; as second-class citizens. Here, I think "second" is being rather generous. This is not a good look for Commonwealth, Veteran or Scottish fencing.

Thanks to those people who are at least getting some partial results out, posting pictures of printouts on social media, etc. Your efforts are appreciated. Thanks also to those people who have volunteered to help run the event and who are doing what they can under the circumstances.

Gav
-18th November 2014, 08:44
Here I was, wondering if the vets were going to get a continuation of the excellent live streaming video coverage from last week, or which kept me up at night during the Vet Worlds from Hungary recently. I took it for granted that we were going to get the in-progress results so those of us who couldn't be there could share in the excitement. I mean, the infrastructure is there, all you need to do is not take it away immediately, right?

Your assumption is incorrect. To get the same quality of streaming you need: the cameramen (and women), the camera directors, the runners, the camera assistants, the producer, the director, the lighting people, the sound engineer (who is still there and actually acting as a volunteer) and sundry media people. Plus ALL of their kit, food and accommodation. Simply put - no one could afford it.

Apparently not.

Though I agree that the CVFC could be streaming its results better.

I do the rankings and results for Western Australia as a volunteer, so I have some idea of what's involved. If I had Engarde and an Internet connection, I could get at least a full final ranking page on the Internet a minute or two after each event ended. It's not rocket science.

I've put in bold the key part. The internet connection is not reliable. It's a major failing of the venue. Everyone seems to think that there's a dedicated leased line or equivalent there - trust me, it's not - it's rubbish. At one point last week we were reduced to getting information out via my phone*... I'm back in Edinburgh, my phone is not available.

Thanks to those people who are at least getting some partial results out, posting pictures of printouts on social media, etc. Your efforts are appreciated. Thanks also to those people who have volunteered to help run the event and who are doing what they can under the circumstances.

Agreed. People are trying their best.

*ps. phone reception is also awful. To get a signal we had to put my phone in a corner of the office.

nippy sweetie
-18th November 2014, 14:39
People are trying their VERY best under difficult circumstances. Dedicated volunteers have put in weeks of work. Gav has said it all.

M'son
-18th November 2014, 18:04
well done Ingrid Heskit who has made it to the WE final at 8pm tonight. Congrats too to Nicky Hull who has bronze.

cesh_fencing
-18th November 2014, 18:41
People are trying their VERY best under difficult circumstances. Dedicated volunteers have put in weeks of work. Gav has said it all.

The team there are certainly doing their best in the circumstances.

Not helped that a big portion of their team escaped after the main Commonwealths finished, and now when they have far more fencers to deal with they are understaffed.

Real shame as the team must be feeling the pressure, especially after probably being knackered after helping running the previous event.

I am sure there will be a review when everything has finished to see how things can be improved for future events.

cesh_fencing
-18th November 2014, 20:14
Ingrid wins 9-8 in priority extra minute, after priority went to her Canadian opponent...

Well done....

nippy sweetie
-19th November 2014, 07:48
Bottom line- it comes down to boring old money. Who`s expected to fund an all singing all dancing comp for the Vets? Maybe if there was much (any) interest in Vets fencing outwith the Vets themselves it might be possible to raise some funding but bottom line is that there isn't. Hard I know. I`m pretty sure that previous posters complaining (and the small number of divas at the event itself) are completely unrepresentative of Vets fencing. Thinking back to previous Commonwealth Vets that I have attended, things are not bad at all!!

gethylogic
-19th November 2014, 20:05
In case anyone hasn't found the results: http://www.cvfc2014.co.uk/results/

graham paul
-20th November 2014, 19:37
Bottom line- it comes down to boring old money. Who`s expected to fund an all singing all dancing comp for the Vets? Maybe if there was much (any) interest in Vets fencing outwith the Vets themselves it might be possible to raise some funding but bottom line is that there isn't. Hard I know. I`m pretty sure that previous posters complaining (and the small number of divas at the event itself) are completely unrepresentative of Vets fencing. Thinking back to previous Commonwealth Vets that I have attended, things are not bad at all!!

Entry costs this time seemed very high, I have calculated that entry fees should have amounted to 26,915 +entry fees for the 'B' team events.
I paid 85 to enter the men's foil. The first round was split into 2 waves due to lack of pistes for the entry of 57. Fencing was started at 0830, and finished with a medal presentation after 2200.
Graham

J_D
-24th November 2014, 09:59
The team there are certainly doing their best in the circumstances.

Not helped that a big portion of their team escaped after the main Commonwealths finished, and now when they have far more fencers to deal with they are understaffed.

Real shame as the team must be feeling the pressure, especially after probably being knackered after helping running the previous event.

I am sure there will be a review when everything has finished to see how things can be improved for future events.

Firstly I accept that the team on the ground did their absolute best, and were worn out by the vent.

What is more difficult to accept is that the Vet's event was far bigger, the fencers contributing more to the pot than the seniors. Was there real sponsorship of the senior event, it certainly was not visible when I was there, so it felt that the vets were subsidising the seniors (whether that is true or not).

I can accept that we had no streaming, that the results service was constrained by the internet access, but other elements are more difficult to accept:

For the sabre, we had two rounds of 8 poules in two waves. It had to be two waves as there were insufficient referees. Remember that we had paid a referee levy of 30/weapon. At least the event started to move once we got into the final wave with poules being split. I was also grateful for the quality of the referees.

The foil was similar, but this time the wait was so excessive that although the first poules went out at about 08:40, it was somewhere around 16:15 before the first DEs started.

What is a review going to be worth? The next two CVFC events are in the southern hemisphere, so I don't reckon this team will be running before the memory starts to fade.

harry26
-10th February 2015, 05:32
Jane beat a fencer from Singapore in the final 10/9.