PDA

View Full Version : blisters

valentino46
-10th December 2014, 11:48
Hi guys,

Not really strength and conditioning, but how does people cope with blisters? specifically ones on the wrist and in-between the thumb and finger? i fence foil and have done for 11 years, only recently have a started to get blisters (last 3months or so) ive tried tape, loosen my grip, changing the glove and handles, not a lot else I can do really.

One thing I have noticed is that I seem to be going through gloves quite quickly, just before the material changes (wrist) I have a satellite event this weekend and I want to make sure i don't get any, throughout the event.

Any help would be great :)

Cheers guys.

Nick E
-10th December 2014, 12:08
My son had a problem with his wrist getting rubbed. It was almost certainly how he was gripping the weapon, but ever since has worn a sweat band on his weapon arm wrist. Problem solved. Though his grip has changed too 😀

ChrisHeaps
-10th December 2014, 12:34
Hi guys,

Not really strength and conditioning, but how does people cope with blisters? specifically ones on the wrist and in-between the thumb and finger? i fence foil and have done for 11 years, only recently have a started to get blisters (last 3months or so) ive tried tape, loosen my grip, changing the glove and handles, not a lot else I can do really.

One thing I have noticed is that I seem to be going through gloves quite quickly, just before the material changes (wrist) I have a satellite event this weekend and I want to make sure i don't get any, throughout the event.

Any help would be great :)

Cheers guys.

I started to go through gloves really quickly which is very annoying because they cost a lot. I use the Leon Paul Gryptonite because they have a nice fit but the durability is terrible. Bit of customer feedback there for you LP! I use pistol grip and they wear through on the centre of wrist, top of thumb in the crease where it joins the 1st finger and the pad on the second finger.

To prevent this I now glue thick bits of leather cut off an old sofa to those contact points. No more wear and no blisters either.

Vicomte_de_Bragelonne
-10th December 2014, 23:04
I too used the Gryptonite for about a year. The first of these I had was great fit but wear in exactly these same areas and with the second of these I bought, terrible blisters too. I put it down to extremely inconsistent sizing and the span at the point of the crease at thumb/forefinger being far too small for the hand size. As a size 8.5 I had to go up to 9.5 just to get hand in glove, leaving it far too loose over the rest of the hand, hence rubbing and blisters. (I also had to try on 4 or 5 to find one that eventually fitted best)

Have since changed to another brand with grippy bits - much better fit and no blisters!

Nick E
-11th December 2014, 05:43
I too used the Gryptonite for about a year. ...........
Have since changed to another brand with grippy bits - much better fit and no blisters!

Same problem. Exactly the same solution !!!

Pete Eames
-11th December 2014, 19:45
I've filed off part of the end of my handle as an edge from a previous bit of work I did on it had a bit which was digging in to the heel of my hand. That's sorted my problem.