PDA

View Full Version : Olympici Grand Prix Epee Budapest February 2015

lyming
-4th February 2015, 20:23
My 9 year old will be entering for this event this weekend. The weapon required is size 0 but with a small bell in the Under 11.

Question - what is a definition of a small bell or guard ?

I had spoken to Leon Paul who had made up our weapons and apparently when you order a size 0 blade only a specific size guard will fit. Meaning to assume that it must be their smallest. Trouble is my daughter also fence with size 2 blades but from what I can see, both the guards appear to be the same size.

I know that I had ordered the weapons to be the lightest possible, therefore I would assume that the guard that she has on both size 0 and 2 must be the smallest.

Our coach in Hungary had mentioned that our guard may not conform. Do the European circuit use a different specs ? I had the new safety clip for the Xtreme helmet fitted as per the FIE requirement which does not appear to be enforced yet on our local events.

Any technical information would be appreciated .

lyming
-10th February 2015, 20:32
Eleanor came ranked 2nd in a European poule of 54 girls - 1st poule. 15th overall after 2nd and 3rd poule. She was the highest ranked 2005 girl. Their format was the best scores in the first 2 poules will be entered into the Final 8 who will then compete for proper ranking. There is no
DE. First to 4 points and 2 minute matches. Interesting and rather fast paced format.

We did noticed a lot of blade straightening on the floors between each point. Rather irritating or just inferior quality blades ??

By the way, coaching in any language was allowed - Chris Howser. I heard that it is usually allowed on the FIE circuits but not on the English circuit. Why is that ? I think it's more exciting rather than everyone contains their emotions. Even the young girls were quite vocal !!!

Had a great time !

Cyranna's Father
-10th February 2015, 20:49
Eleanor came ranked 2nd in a European poule of 54 girls - 1st poule. 15th overall after 2nd and 3rd poule. She was the highest ranked 2005 girl. Their format was the best scores in the first 2 poules will be entered into the Final 8 who will then compete for proper ranking. There is no
DE. First to 4 points and 2 minute matches. Interesting and rather fast paced format.

We did noticed a lot of blade straightening on the floors between each point. Rather irritating or just inferior quality blades ??

By the way, coaching in any language was allowed - Chris Howser. I heard that it is usually allowed on the FIE circuits but not on the English circuit. Why is that ? I think it's more exciting rather than everyone contains their emotions. Even the young girls were quite vocal !!!

Had a great time !

Blade straightening is very often a move that relates to the concept "breaking state", an opportunity to refocus in ones own situation or break the flow of your opponents focus if they are enjoying a purple patch. (see also shoelace tying, hair rearrangement, etc).

I think you MAY find that coaching during the action is not officially permitted in any language or in any country however these things are overlooked or ignored in countries where it has become common practice. (I stand ready and happy to be corrected by any FIE refs reading this). The sad thing is when you see, as I have, fencers turn to their coaches at the end of each point for direction as if they have no imagination of their own or perhaps are under instruction not to fight their own bout.

sounds like you had a good time though, many more to come

cesh_fencing
-10th February 2015, 21:26
Initially well done to Ellie. Great little fencer and a talent to watch out for in the future..

By the way, coaching in any language was allowed - Chris Howser. I heard that it is usually allowed on the FIE circuits but not on the English circuit.

I have never said that other competitions do not ignore the rules (whether in the UK or abroad), however I feel that fencers improve more by having to think themselves.

When young British fencers go as a squad abroad and there is only 1 or 2 coaches to 12 or more fencers, the chances that your fencer will have a coach at the end of the piste foor every fight is pretty low. If a fencer is not experienced in dealing with fencing off their own back, then they will be at a huge dis-advantage.

The EEJS is set with the intent to be different and one of those intentions is to ensure that fencers start to think for themselves and do not just rely completely on a coach (as they cannot be guaranteed to be there all the time). This levels out the field for fencers with coaches attending and those without.

lyming
-4th March 2015, 09:05
To be honest, when anyone fences with their mask on and their micro concentration is on the opponent in front, there really is very little chance that they actually pay attention to the side lines in the heat of a point ! But it all adds to the excitement as everyone gives their 2 cents worth !

Of course we will comply with the rules of EEJS !:whistle: