PDA

View Full Version : starter kits

James
-11th May 2003, 19:34
are there any starter kits you can buy for fencing that come with an epee?
looking at the leon paul site its that they only come with a foil
i know its more usual to start with foil
but ive quickly moved on to epee
and i'd be wanting to be able to fence electric with it
where should i look
and what should i go for?

thanks
james

Barry Paul
-11th May 2003, 20:05
No problem contact Leon Paul 0207 3888132 or sales@leonpaul.com and we can give you a quote for a starter kit with a epee. Barry

kingkenny
-12th May 2003, 12:05
Advise not blatant advertising.

:bash:

Gav
-12th May 2003, 12:08
Hmm...

Looks like this thread has been moderated.

srb
-12th May 2003, 12:11
I know Blades do flexible starter kits as well.

They can be contacted on 01784 255522.

srb

haggis
-12th May 2003, 12:15
Yeah. Heavily and tactlessly moderated. Am I in danger of being moderated for pointing this out?:( Never been keen on a totalitarian state.

James
-12th May 2003, 12:29
next time just pm me such information
we "must" keep the moderators happy
im not really bothered at all about blatant advertising being moderated as long as there is no bias towards leon paul
and so far ive seen none

James

kingkenny
-12th May 2003, 13:07
I will write up some rules for the forum, I don't want it to turn into a corporate advertising board. The forum is there for informal chat and passing on of knowledge. As you can see from the rest of the forum we welcome comments on kit from all manufacturers and suppliers however, there should be no advertising on the board.

Barry is an exception (he paid for the board!) but you at least know who he is and can take what he says with "a pinch of salt" if you wish to.

We have only had to moderate 2 posts since we started (one related to abusive language and this one) refering to me as "Totalitarian" is a bit unkind and unnecessary.

Don't make me :bash: you. ;)

gofence
-12th May 2003, 13:07
No bias,
- then how come the blatent leon paul plug stays in and its only mine that gets moderated out. Given that I only put mine in after the blatent advertising from Barry this strikes me as quite clealy unfair bias towards Leon Paul.

If you dont want any advertising (which I am happy to adhere to if everybody else does likewise) then at least have the decency to apply the rule uniformly.

gofence
-12th May 2003, 13:18
Kingkenny,
Even though you say Barry is an exception - I notice that you allowed yourself to blatently advertise Leon Paul kit on another thread (seond hand kit). So is Barry the exception or is it Leon Paul that is the exception.

And by the way hosting a forum like this is very cheap.

bydande
-12th May 2003, 13:26
You cant have one rule for Barry and one rule for everybody else. Rules should apply to all, with no exceptions.

haggis
-12th May 2003, 13:29
Totalitarian, adj. - Of, relating to, being, or imposing a form of government in which the political authority exercises absolute and centralized control over all aspects of life, the individual is subordinated to the state, and opposing political and cultural expression is suppressed: “A totalitarian regime crushes all autonomous institutions in its drive to seize the human soul” (Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr.).

King Kenny

A little harsh perhaps but I do object to this little piece of double standards. If you are confident that LP kit is that good then why not let other companies offer links to their sites when someone posts a question about starter kits. If the LP kit and price are best the customer will buy it. Since I don't know Mr gofence by name and I don't work for him or his company, would it be ok for me to post the same details that he did?

Regards

Haggis

rory
-12th May 2003, 13:43
And I see that haggis' member type is now "Conspiracy Theorist" :)

It's a difficult question.

Barry pays for the forum (however little it costs) - what benefits can/should this afford?

KingKenny, as well as being moderator here, is also an LP employee (correct me if I'm wrong?)

How much crossover should there be between the roles of moderator/LP employee?

I think the best idea would be a concrete set of posting guidelines, in a prominenet place on the site (say the top menu bar, by the calendar button?).
How about it, KingKenny?

Personally, I buy PBT (http://www.pbtfencing.com)! :)

- rory

kingkenny
-12th May 2003, 13:57
I know the definition of Totalitarian, all I said was that I think it is unfair and unkind seeing as I have only modified 2 posts.

I am afraid that I am sticking by my guns here.

If you went to a site paid for by Porsche and started going on about how much better your Farrari was then it would be moderated likewise with any two football teams or any number of other examples.

I will reiterate that I am happy for general discussion of the merrits of one manufacturer vs another however direct advertising is not allowed. I will write up a set of guidelines and attach them to the menu bar.

Seeing as Barry pays for the site I will not be modifying his posts and as I said people can take his comments with a pinch of salt if they wish.

rory
-12th May 2003, 14:08
I think everyone understands that the board is an LP resource.

Personally, as long as the guidelines are clear it doesn't bother me.

What I would suggest, however, is that if the moderators are going to moderate postings, they edit rather than delete them.

The unpleasant aspect of this moderation for me was seeing that a posting I'd already read had suddenly vanished with no easy explanation. You know how paranoid fencers are - we always think the worst.

Maybe in future you could put "[moderated]" at the end of posts you've sorted, rather than deleting them?

bydande
-12th May 2003, 14:20
OK in the spirit of advising and not advertising - I dont work for any fencing company - I would "advise" James to look at the following sites:
http://www.gofence.com
- the cheapest and best value fencing kit in the UK.
and
http://www.uhlmann-fechtsport.de/inhalt_e.htm
the german website for Uhlmann. They do good kit and its reasonably priced if you can buy it in Germany. The English distributor (Blades) has an exclusive agreement with them and as a result hikes the prices in old blighty up by 30-40%. So dont buy it here.

bydande
-12th May 2003, 14:25
Maybe we fencer should just stick in a few quid each and do our own non supplier sponsored forum - with a veto on employees or owners of any supplier being moderators.

Gav
-12th May 2003, 14:29
Someone on another thread has noticed and is now taking a poll:

http://fencingforum.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=215

haggis
-12th May 2003, 14:47
Illuminatus - Shea & Wilson??

Gav
-12th May 2003, 14:53
Yep. Suprised to see someone else get it so quickly, no-one else I know has read it.

Of course those who have realise that it is a survival manual not a work of fiction... @<|

James
-12th May 2003, 16:29
cool
thank you all
i opologise for starting an argument
however
i like getting information about as many different companies as possible
although i question the posting of details by those with a conserted interest
any way
im sure that leon paul will be able to under cut any other offers that are made
nothing like a bit of competition to keep the prices down for the consumers

James

srb
-12th May 2003, 17:58
James

The other option that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet, is to go to a sponsored competition and have a look at the equipment stand. Then it means you can try any kit on to see if it fits, without having to travel miles to a shop.

For example in a couple (obviously to keep it neutral!!!) of competions I have fenced in recently;

The Invicta was sponsored by Blades,
The Nottingham was sponsored by Leon Paul.

Therefore they both had stands selling their kit. Have a look on the competiton programme to see if there are any competions near you that you can go and watch. If you're fencing in the epee at the Inverclyde, you might be able to get kit during the foil the day before. I'm sure someone like Gav will know if its sponsored, and let you know. Otherwise speak to some of the small suppliers and get them to bring some kit with them.

At the Birmingham, Lindsay Watkiss brought some bits for me, and I bought some stuff from Ian from Duelist at the Excalibur. Basically there is a lot a good kit around nowadays, so take your pick.

But - be warned - There is a secret fencing equipment law - If you only have £1 in your pocket, you will spend £2. If you have £1 in your pocket and a credit card - stay at home!!!

(Didn't realise about the phone no. bit earlier - oops)

Hudson
-12th May 2003, 18:08
Never take your credit card to a comp with a trade stand or into a fencing shop, it will some how get out of you wallet/purse and onto the sales counter while your not looking.