PDA

View Full Version : Ebay prices - again?

KayJay
-7th May 2004, 15:52
Talking about crazy prices on ebay, take a look at this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=135&item=4129656899&rd=1

"Unusual foil"? Or would you describe it as an Italian foil mounted upside down??

Ah me - I used to love my old Italian foil, bought in Germany, in the 60s...now no use to people whose hands appear to be a different shape to the rest of humanity's!! ;)

oddball
-7th May 2004, 19:40
Definately upside down!!
Italian foils are brilliant, no one nicks them at comps because they are so unusual.

symon
-7th May 2004, 23:00
either thats a VERY unusual italian foil or someones got an armouror with a drink problem! ;)

KayJay
-8th May 2004, 20:46
Hot off the press -

Evangelista's "Art & Science..." - 22.50 inc p&P (8 new @ Amazon)

Knackered steam foil........40 inc p&P (28 @ LP)

Seriously manky mask - 21 inc (& auction still running...)

Has the whole world gone mad, for Pete's sake? :rolleyes:

uk_45
-8th May 2004, 20:57
people think they are getting a bargin on eBay and don't think to cheek the new price.

gbm
-8th May 2004, 23:03
But it's the bidding pressure... you can't let it go to someone else... you have to have it. You have to have it now... just click the bid button...

Tom_W
-9th May 2004, 01:37
err....

I can only hope some crazy rich (perhaps lottery winner) fool is bidding..

most of us normal fencers have more moxie, don't we?
if you don't then I hope you are my next competition opponent!

gbm
-9th May 2004, 10:26
Just pointing out that some people get carried away on Ebay! (It's so hard to pull out when the bid price goes ever so slightly over what you were hoping! I usually do pull out, though.)

oddball
-10th May 2004, 11:46
Could be some celebrity thinking to look good in *aged/
distressed* fencing clobber..

gbm
-10th May 2004, 11:57
Like Madonna, then.

oddball
-10th May 2004, 11:58
Exactly!

gbm
-10th May 2004, 12:13
Some aged/distressed fencing gear to match herself...

J_D
-11th May 2004, 09:36
I look at some of the stuff on ebay, especially masks, and think "I hope they don't intend to actually use that when they get it". Knackered, unsafe equipment....well I suppose they could put it on a shelf somewhere.

Does anyone get beginners coming to clubs with stuff like that? Do they get told that they aren't allowed to use it?

Peanut_UK
-11th May 2004, 10:08
Originally posted by oddball
... Definately upside down!! ...

Is it just me, or is the seller someone that clearly doesn't have a clue about foils?! "Unusual" my a$$ - try "taken apart, put back together wrong, stuck in the attic for years"? Or "I bought a new handle then realised I had no clue"? Or am I being a bit harsh?

Re: the unsafe kit - we've had beginners turn up with kit from the dark ages, and we've told them they can't use it. Sometimes takes a while to get the message thru as well. If you boil it down to "Look, if I hit you in the face and you're wearing that mask, you will die", it normally does the trick... ;)

gbm
-11th May 2004, 10:14
Would be better with a mask punch test...

gbm
-11th May 2004, 10:26
Love to see somebody buy these and try to fence in them...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=310&item=3677156827&rd=1

gbm
-11th May 2004, 10:26
Just shows you how much mask technology has moved forwards.

uk_45
-11th May 2004, 15:14
Spot the difference between them and the X-Change

gbm
-11th May 2004, 15:29
The X-change system has a bib that can be removed. The old masks don't even have a bib!
Note the primitive predecessor of the 'Contour Fit' system!

uk_45
-11th May 2004, 15:30
Yeah i think yoe would be safer fencing in a bucket with eye holes than that!

gbm
-11th May 2004, 15:35
Unless you were fencing some particularly vindictive individual who kept aiming for the eye-holes! At least with the mask, you can keep your chin down to cover your neck...

uk_45
-11th May 2004, 15:43
That just mean!

gbm
-11th May 2004, 15:50
Have you never fenced anybody mean? (I have now passed Hayleyjades' post count!)

KayJay
-12th May 2004, 00:21
Where is the cut-off point in terms of masks etc? One of mine dates from the early 70s as I recall but is pretty much pristine and is fine for practice (and even a foil bout or two, in my opinion). It doesn't have an elastic strap but a few seconds with a riveter would sort that out - in the 60s in Germany I was in a uni club where a bunch of them would even fence with no mask at all... Does anyone have a definitive answer, please?

And while we're on the subject of masks - Uhlmann or LP? Or is that a tactless question given the forum sponsor?

gbm
-12th May 2004, 08:54
Buy the following items to test masks (I don't have them though):
a 130 degree mask front angle checker
a 30kg mask punch test (apparently not to be used on FIE masks for some reason).
Then try ripping the bib off, drop kicking it across the room - I'm sure you can think of some more.
Another problem with old masks is the lack of flank protection - the bib is smaller than on modern masks.

And it's not a tactless question - you'll just always get the same answers! (F100C LP mask with Contour Fit for 350N foil/epee)

Australian
-12th May 2004, 09:34
Originally posted by goodbadandme
Buy the following items to test masks (I don't have them though):
a 130 degree mask front angle checker
a 30kg mask punch test (apparently not to be used on FIE masks for some reason).
Then try ripping the bib off, drop kicking it across the room - I'm sure you can think of some more.
Another problem with old masks is the lack of flank protection - the bib is smaller than on modern masks.

And it's not a tactless question - you'll just always get the same answers! (F100C LP mask with Contour Fit for 350N foil/epee)

350N mask? *shudder*

i never use anything but FIE 800/1600N stuff, esp around my face... for my own safety, the money is worth it

and its a 12kg punch test i think, not 30 :)

gbm
-12th May 2004, 09:42
Sadly, in my case, in the balance between a tiny bit of extra safety and money, money comes first.
And you are probably right at 12kg not 30kg.