PDA

View Full Version : Leon Paul Junior Series 2016

LP Fencing Centre
-11th August 2015, 16:45
The Leon Paul Junior Series (LPJS) will be 30 years old next year having started in 1986 with just 2 foil competitions in London. Now the series covers all three weapons and is the introduction to competitive fencings for nearly all young fencers.

Following an anonymous survey of current LPJS organisers, Leon Paul are planning to make some improvement to the LPJS for 2016. Today I have written to all LPJS event organisers setting out these improvements.

If you are an LPJS event organiser and have not received an email from me please let me know via the address below. Likewise if you are interested in running an LPJS event in 2016 please contact me for more information.

email: Jon Willis (jon@leonpaul.com)

There will be no changes to anything LPJS related this year so no need to worry. I will be announcing the changes to the 2016 LPJS in the coming months.

danKew
-27th October 2015, 15:08
I will be announcing the changes to the 2016 LPJS in the coming months.

So, with only 9 weeks left of this year ... do you have any news for us? Nudge, nudge :D

LP Fencing Centre
-27th October 2015, 15:55
So, with only 9 weeks left of this year ... do you have any news for us? Nudge, nudge :D

New website goes live on the 2nd November

danKew
-27th October 2015, 16:01

Cool. :cool:

Debsy72
-6th November 2015, 09:01

Did I miss something? Has it happened?

LP Fencing Centre
-6th November 2015, 09:08
Did I miss something? Has it happened?

Website building is more of an art than a science (so I am lead to believe). Its very nearly ready, we are just debugging the last few things and should be online very soon (I was hoping for this afternoon with fair wind, but certainly Monday).

To help people plan the start of next year, here are the events that have been confirmed to date.

January 9th - Cornwall Epee
January 9th - Cornwall Sabre
January 10th - Millfield Foil
January 30th - London Epee
January 31st - London Sabre

February 20th - Bristol Foil

March 13th - Kings Canterbury Epee

April 2nd - Durham Foil
April 3rd - Durham Sabre
April 3rd - Durham Epee
April 9th & 10th - London Foil

danKew
-6th November 2015, 11:49

Debsy72
-6th November 2015, 13:29
Website building is more of an art than a science (so I am lead to believe). Its very nearly ready, we are just debugging the last few things and should be online very soon (I was hoping for this afternoon with fair wind, but certainly Monday).

To help people plan the start of next year, here are the events that have been confirmed to date.

January 9th - Cornwall Epee
January 9th - Cornwall Sabre
January 10th - Millfield Foil
January 30th - London Epee
January 31st - London Sabre

February 20th - Bristol Foil

March 13th - Kings Canterbury Epee

April 2nd - Durham Foil
April 3rd - Durham Sabre
April 3rd - Durham Epee
April 9th & 10th - London Foil

Don't I know it! Just taken over editing one regional website and trying to write a new county one!!

It didn't look different but I wasn't sure if it was a subtle change as it has just recently undergone a revamp. Thanks for the heads up!

rugauger
-8th November 2015, 17:07

Oh yes - do I know that feeling, Dan!

LP Fencing Centre
-13th November 2015, 11:46
The new website is now live and can be found at

www.leonpauljuniorseries.co.uk

Please note that some features, such as results and rankings, are not yet active because the website is for the 2016 season (for the remainder of 2015 please continue to use the current .com website).

All LPJS competitions from 2016 will be entered online via the new website portal. There will no longer be ‘paper entry’ into competitions, whether direct to the organiser or paid entry on the day. The entry process will be automated, so that if you create an account for your fencer you won’t even have to fill in their details each time you enter an event. Real time entry lists will be available, using fencers’ current LPJS rankings to seed all the entrants.

The certificates which fencers used to receive for taking part in an LPJS event will be replaced with LPJS Passports and stamps. More details about the passports and stamps can be found on the website, including information which explains how to get hold of one ready for the new season.

Not all events for 2016 are on the website yet (some organisers have not held their 2015 competitions!), so keep an eye out for new competition listing. As soon as the 2016 competitions appear on the website you can enter them and get yourself organised for the season ahead.

We have been debugging the website for a few weeks now but if you find any problems please can you drop me an email (jon@leonpaul.com) as I don't check the forum daily.

danKew
-13th November 2015, 12:28
When I create an account is it for me as a parent or my children as participating fencers?

danKew
-13th November 2015, 12:41
When I create an account is it for me as a parent or my children as participating fencers?

Tried to delete this, because I was being special and not reading the form properly. Ignore me.

LP Fencing Centre
-13th November 2015, 14:07
There was an issue with usernames being over 20 characters, so anyone trying to create an account with a long email address as their username was being refused. This has now been corrected

Debsy72
-17th November 2015, 20:33
Boys passports arrived today. Nice touch and helps Mum with the referee signalling :D

Thanks

lyming
-17th November 2015, 20:49
Yeah passport arrived today ! I noticed that there is a LPJS code at the back page. It's below the bar code. Is that the LPJS membership number as of now and the old LPJS number obselete ?

Jon Willis
-17th November 2015, 21:01
Yeah passport arrived today ! I noticed that there is a LPJS code at the back page. It's below the bar code. Is that the LPJS membership number as of now and the old LPJS number obselete ?

No, the number on the passport is the Passport id number. Your LPJS number remains the same but is auto generated via the website now.

pushymum
-28th November 2015, 22:05
Hello there,

When will Leon Paul J Series start taking PayPal?

Thanks

Alli Gibbons
-6th December 2015, 11:58
It seems there are currently no entrants for the Boys U11 in Millfield on 10th Jan. Is that correct? It seems there is a paper entry form on the old website, so I wonder whether some have entered that way and may not be listed on the new website...

Debsy72
-6th December 2015, 12:47
It seems there are currently no entrants for the Boys U11 in Millfield on 10th Jan. Is that correct? It seems there is a paper entry form on the old website, so I wonder whether some have entered that way and may not be listed on the new website...

I contacted the organiser about my sons u13 entry because i sent a cheque with paper entry. He was happy to destroy my cheque and i entered via the website. As you say there may be entries via the paper route so guessing something will be posted on here soon.

LP Fencing Centre
-8th December 2015, 14:10
Lets try and answer these questions.

When will Leon Paul J Series start taking PayPal?

The new website takes online card payment through sagepay, there are no plans to change this to PayPal.

Is the new website showing correct entry lists?

I have been in touch with Tristan from Millfield and have updated all the entry lists this morning bar one fencer who I am waiting for a date of birth from.

It is very important that all entries LPJS entries for 2016 come through the website. Event organisers can no longer take direct entries or entries on the day. Everything is going to be automated and requires the website database to be correct.

I contacted the organiser about my sons u13 entry because i sent a cheque with paper entry. He was happy to destroy my cheque and i entered via the website.

If anyone has entered direct to an organiser already this is the best thing to do. As this is the start of a new system there will be a little bit of flex in the system while everyone catches up. If you have any worries, drop me an email (jon@leonpaul.com) and I'll help you.

So far the new website has 31 LPJS events listed for 2016 and has taken 89 entries. Leon Paul have posted out 70 LPJS Fencer Passports to fencers who have create an account on the new website.

LP Fencing Centre
-16th December 2015, 10:48
Bit of an obvious statement but still true!

The stamps for organisers to 'validate' LPJS Fencer Passports have been sent out to the competition organisers but the only way for fencers to get a passport is to create an account on the new LPJS website (http://leonpauljuniorseries.co.uk/).

All competitions are now entered online via the LPJS website (http://leonpauljuniorseries.co.uk/). If you create an account for your fencer its a simple process with a few clicks as the website saves the fencers details & you have an option for sage pay to store your payment card details for one-click payment (like Amazon).

January Competitions

Saturday 9th Cornwall Epee (http://leonpauljuniorseries.co.uk/competitions/view/LPJScorepee16) & Cornwall Sabre (http://leonpauljuniorseries.co.uk/competitions/view/LPJScorsabre16)

Sunday 10th Millfield Foil (http://leonpauljuniorseries.co.uk/competitions/view/LPJSmilfoil16)

Saturday 23rd Manchester Foil (http://leonpauljuniorseries.co.uk/competitions/view/LPJSmanfoil16)

Saturday 30th London Epee (http://leonpauljuniorseries.co.uk/competitions/view/LPJSlonepee16)

Sunday 31st London Sabre (http://leonpauljuniorseries.co.uk/competitions/view/LPJSlonsabre16)

2015 Rankings

When the Rankings have been finalised for 2015 the normal prize procedure will be followed. Then in late January, the .com website will be merged with the new .co.uk and all results & rankings transferred.

Debsy72
-13th January 2016, 22:01
Are LPJS competition bouts allowed to be 2 mins if the rules state 3 minutes for a certain age?

LP Fencing Centre
-13th January 2016, 22:12
Are LPJS competition bouts allowed to be 2 mins if the rules state 3 minutes for a certain age?

Going to need a little bit of background to answer this but if the rules say 3 minutes then the maximum fight time should be 3 minutes.

cesh_fencing
-14th January 2016, 12:29
The old LPJS site had - 2. Fencers to have two rounds of pools, the results of which will be used to seed for the subsequent direct elimination. The exception here is for under 9 fencers who will be in pools throughout.

At LPJS events held at the LP centre last year (and many others), only had one round of poules and the Under 9s were not poules throughout and had DEs.

These formats have now changed on the Rules on the new website which gives organisers more flexibility.

I think the series rules have been more of a guidance, which have in the past been adapted to take into account various circumstances for events.

If the LPJS central office does want to ensure that things are far more compliant, then organisers, fencers and coaches could do with knowing so that they can step in and show the rules if an event does start to do something else.

See this on the new rules - U9's start the match and following each valid hit with their back foot on the on`-guarde line rather then their front foot.%0 - Should be interesting to see in action or for referees to remember..

Debsy72
-14th January 2016, 19:36
Going to need a little bit of background to answer this but if the rules say 3 minutes then the maximum fight time should be 3 minutes.

Sorry! I was just having a read through the new website the other day and this rule caught my eye:

'Poule matches are fenced to 5 hits or 3 minutes apart from U9s who fence to 5 hits or 2 minutes.'

I was surprised that at u13, Millfield ran 2 min bouts in the poules. I have never really agreed with 2 minutes if fencers are used to 3 min bouts in all other competitions. Unfortunately the other half was with son and wouldn't have thought to question it.

So, are the rules on the website for LPJS competitions guidelines or rules to be adhered to. Just so I know ;-)

wolo
-14th January 2016, 19:51
There was a little confusion at Milfield with some of the Refs taking the timing for Under 9s as the time for all age groups. I believe this was corrected once it was pointed out, but unfortunately, some of the Under 13s had already completed their poules.

My understanding from the new website is as they state on the front page,

LPJS Competition Rules
All LPJS events are run to the same format and follow the BFA & FIE rules with the a few amendments specifically related to age groups.

Debsy72
-14th January 2016, 21:44
There was a little confusion at Milfield with some of the Refs taking the timing for Under 9s as the time for all age groups. I believe this was corrected once it was pointed out, but unfortunately, some of the Under 13s had already completed their poules

Thats a shame, really unsettled my son. Put that one down to experience :(

LP Fencing Centre
-15th January 2016, 07:37
Sorry! I was just having a read through the new website the other day and this rule caught my eye:

'Poule matches are fenced to 5 hits or 3 minutes apart from U9s who fence to 5 hits or 2 minutes.'

I was surprised that at u13, Millfield ran 2 min bouts in the poules. I have never really agreed with 2 minutes if fencers are used to 3 min bouts in all other competitions. Unfortunately the other half was with son and wouldn't have thought to question it.

So, are the rules on the website for LPJS competitions guidelines or rules to be adhered to. Just so I know ;-)

The rules on the new LPJS website are to be adhered to, all poule fights are 3 mins apart from U9s. It sounds like Millfield was a few individual errors rather than competition policy.

The idea behind the new website and revamp to the LPJS as a whole is to try and standardise events and in turn, raise the standards of all LPJS competitions throughout the UK. Our research has told us that parents of young and new fencers firstly want a high standard of competition but then want a consistency from all the different events they enter throughout the year.

cesh_fencing
-15th January 2016, 08:14
The idea behind the new website and revamp to the LPJS as a whole is to try and standardise events and in turn, raise the standards of all LPJS competitions throughout the UK. Our research has told us that parents of young and new fencers firstly want a high standard of competition but then want a consistency from all the different events they enter throughout the year.

This is great. It will certainly mean that fencers/parents can go to events and have a far better idea of what to expect.

Debsy72
-15th January 2016, 10:55

Yes I agree and I will pass onto other club members/parents who are new to this. I have learned a lot in 6 months because I wasn't even aware of the 'no hit for 1 minute' rule in the DE when son was moved onto the next period in Cardiff (u11). I think I have it all covered now :D

Thanks for clarifying.

Alli Gibbons
-17th January 2016, 09:06
The rules on the new LPJS website are to be adhered to, all poule fights are 3 mins apart from U9s. It sounds like Millfield was a few individual errors rather than competition policy.

Just for information, all of the U11 poule fights at Millfield were 2 minutes, so i think it was indeed a misunderstanding at competition level.

cesh_fencing
-14th February 2016, 11:05
Are there any more events in the LPJS this year? Nothing seems to be on the calendar for the rest of the year.

http://leonpauljuniorseries.com/calendar

jahl
-14th February 2016, 11:12
Are there any more events in the LPJS this year? Nothing seems to be on the calendar for the rest of the year.

http://leonpauljuniorseries.com/calendar

You're looking at the old website, new one is here

https://www.leonpauljuniorseries.co.uk/

cesh_fencing
-14th February 2016, 13:22
oops