PDA

View Full Version : Make your own grips

Hamley
-10th May 2004, 20:32
What happened if you cut a french grib in half and then molded clay around it to fit your hand perfectly. Then put it in the oven, to make it hard!

Be pretty cool to have your own designed ortho grip to fit your preferences the best.

Noah

vil
-10th May 2004, 22:13
Cool idea, but I think clay would be too brittle. You could always use it to make a cast and create your own metal handle though. If your metalworking skills are up to it.

As an aside, I wonder why we don't see more use of material like squash racket grip tape on handles. Anyone? Seems like it could work quite well on a french grip, but would be a bit more difficult (still doable, for sure) on a pistol grip.

Rdb811
-10th May 2004, 23:27
When I had a French grip, I used squash racquet tape to widen it, to prevent me from gripping it too hard. (Many years ago, when I played squash abit, this was invaluable advice, along with 'get a better racquet'). I never tried it on pistol grips, obvious that it wouldn't work.

The Gardere grip was deised around an imprint of Gardere's hand.

pqg
-11th May 2004, 00:19
Originally posted by vil
As an aside, I wonder why we don't see more use of material like squash racket grip tape on handles. Anyone? Seems like it could work quite well on a french grip, but would be a bit more difficult (still doable, for sure) on a pistol grip.

I think it's because the purpose of that tape is to provide a layer of friction between a sweaty hand and a smooth metal/plastic handle. In fencing that layer of friction is already provided by a glove.

Rdb811
-11th May 2004, 00:23
I don't remember there being a problem with using a club on the tape, and I was definately using it on my squash racquet to widen the grip, not to replace the existing lining.

Biggles
-11th May 2004, 00:35
five quid for a gardere grip from LP and your kitchen's not a mess! just be sure and drill it out first before you try and fit it to your blade! :grin:

vil
-11th May 2004, 01:55
Originally posted by pqg
I think it's because the purpose of that tape is to provide a layer of friction between a sweaty hand and a smooth metal/plastic handle. In fencing that layer of friction is already provided by a glove.

But the glove gets sweaty too! Admittedly not as much as your hand itself, but maybe enough to make your grip a little less sure after a few tough matches.

I was really just thinking that it seemed a bit strange that French grips - and sabre grips, for that matter - still have a rubber or leather covering, when there have been better(?) options available for years.

Maybe the real reason is that so few people use French grips these days..?

pqg
-11th May 2004, 08:12
Originally posted by vil
But the glove gets sweaty too! Admittedly not as much as your hand itself, but maybe enough to make your grip a little less sure after a few tough matches.

Obviously the glove gets sweaty, but so does the squash grip. However, both are made of a material which absorbs the moisture to maintain friction levels. (whereas in both the hand and a bare handle surface moisture decreases it)

pinkelephant
-11th May 2004, 08:28
The light weight fibre glass handles have tennis racket grip round them - or at least they do when my son has had one for a while! It works very well.

bufc99
-11th May 2004, 15:05
Originally posted by Biggles
five quid for a gardere grip from LP and your kitchen's not a mess! just be sure and drill it out first before you try and fit it to your blade! :grin:
I got one a few months ago and had terribel trouble fitting it. It was perfect on my steam blade but when I tried it on my electric it was hell. I spent about 15minutes with a very fine, very small circular file filing out the inside, just enough so that it owuld fit. It ain't mobing in a hurry but it's on now at least.

gbm
-11th May 2004, 15:33
I had the same problem - I had to attack it with a file for 10 mins or more. Then I put it on, waved the sword around for a bit, and took it off because it is illegal. Making any sort of French grip have 'attachments' would make that illegal as well, I don't know about finger moldings.
Leather is used instead of rubber on better grips because it absorbs moisture, while rubber gets very slippery when wet (there's one for Neo!).

Neo
-11th May 2004, 23:12
Originally posted by goodbadandme
I had the same problem - I had to attack it with a file for 10 mins or more. Then I put it on, waved the sword around for a bit, and took it off because it is illegal. Making any sort of French grip have 'attachments' would make that illegal as well, I don't know about finger moldings.
Leather is used instead of rubber on better grips because it absorbs moisture, while rubber gets very slippery when wet (there's one for Neo!).

Someone called?

As long as you took the pomel off it wouldn't matter - if it hasn't got a pommel, you can't pommel with it :P

talking about Gardere grips - Roger doesn't the club have one that is pommelless (and thus perfectly legal)? Does have a dead blade right enough (the one that I retaped cos the wire was just about hanging out, but was too late)

You could pommel with an LP large pistol grip - the protruding bit at the end is well big! (was trying it today incidentally :P)

Biggles
-11th May 2004, 23:25
Then I put it on, waved the sword around for a bit, and took it off because it is illegal.

How is the gardere illegal? I've used it in several comps with no complaints, though I mainly use pistol grip now.

As I can't be ar**d to spend the next three hours reading through the rules, I'm hoping you can answer for me!

And if it is "illegal" why is LP selling it without a warning label??

Rdb811
-12th May 2004, 00:19
Originally posted by Biggles
Then I put it on, waved the sword around for a bit, and took it off because it is illegal.

How is the gardere illegal? I've used it in several comps with no complaints, though I mainly use pistol grip now.

As I can't be ar**d to spend the next three hours reading through the rules, I'm hoping you can answer for me!

And if it is "illegal" why is LP selling it without a warning label??

The rule which may or may be relevent is:

6. If the grip (or glove) includes any device or attachment or has a special shape (orthopaedic) which fixes the position of the hand on the grip, the grip must conform to the following conditions.

(a) It must determine and fix one position only for the hand on the grip.

(b) When the hand occupies this one position on the grip, the extremity of the thumb when completely extended must not be more than 2 cm from the inner surface of the guard.

I'll leave the comments to others.

The grip not the abiliy to pomell is the wording of the rules, even if the intent is otherwise.

I have no idea what lurks in the Streatham club cupboard.

Neo
-12th May 2004, 00:34
lol it used to be the only right handed electric foil (hence phil was using it before he got his own and then Aidan) but one night the wire was coming out at the end, so I tried taping it and it appeared to work on Vicky's test box, but nothing registered on proper box.

ah well... :(

Neo
-12th May 2004, 00:41
Originally posted by Rdb811
I have no idea what lurks in the Streatham club cupboard.

I've heard rumours there's something alive and scary in there :S

Rdb811
-12th May 2004, 01:05
I wondered where the sabreurs had gone.

Rdb811
-12th May 2004, 01:10
Originally posted by Neo
lol it used to be the only right handed electric foil (hence phil was using it before he got his own and then Aidan) but one night the wire was coming out at the end, so I tried taping it and it appeared to work on Vicky's test box, but nothing registered on proper box.

ah well... :(

All good stuff, but perhaps of limited interest to the browsing public - now go and do some revision (or are you sitting a Fencing Lore exam?)

(I think the weapon in question was a donation - will get it fixed on a sensible grip and stop the Gardere falling into teh hands of beginners)

Neo
-12th May 2004, 01:18
Originally posted by Rdb811
All good stuff, but perhaps of limited interest to the browsing public - now go and do some revision (or are you sitting a Fencing Lore exam?)

(I think the weapon in question was a donation - will get it fixed on a sensible grip and stop the Gardere falling into teh hands of beginners)

too late to study now, should be sleeping :)

I'm not sure its an actual gardere grip (doesn't have a pommel) might be some kind of weird orthopaedic grip (though it looks like a gardere, just without the pommel). A nice medium or large pistol grip would be nice :D Since Aidan and Phil now have their own weapons, the next person to use it will likely be Louise.

Rdb811
-12th May 2004, 01:23
I think it's a actually a Spanish grip, which is illegal.

Sleep - good idea. I suppose these posts are marginally more productive than playing thse Yeti games.

Neo
-12th May 2004, 01:32
I fancy some online red alert II, but I know if I do that I'll still be sitting here at 8am trying to send my ships/airforce to wipe out some guys nuke silo (I like Naval Battles, backed up by masses upon masses of fighter jets, rather than land based)

Could always play aoe2 right enough, been a while since I played that too (again I like the naval battles :D)

KayJay
-12th May 2004, 06:54
(a) It must determine and fix one position only for the hand on the grip.

(b) When the hand occupies this one position on the grip, the extremity of the thumb when completely extended must not be more than 2 cm from the inner surface of the guard.

Being a foreigner, my grasp of the English language is obviously more tenuous than I realized - I fail to see how my gardere doesn't comply with both of the above. In the absence of any indication to the contrary I would take "extremity" to mean the nail-end of the thumb. After all, a gardere simply provides a more rigid version of the position of the hand on what I still insist is a "normal", ie French, grip. Or has that also been banned by the self-appointed authorities whose notion of normality involves enough rules and regulations to satisfy any jobsworth and a foil straight out of Luke Skywalker's armoury?

PS Rise of Nations is the boss, for my money!!

wingnutLP
-12th May 2004, 07:23
The argument against it is that you can remove your hand from the location it is meant to be held and hold it far up by the pommel.

Therfore it does not "It must determine and fix one position only for the hand on the grip."

I think this is BS because if you really wanted to you could hold a pistol grip by the bit that pokes down by your wrist (it would be useless admitedly!).

Therfore all pistol grips are illegal?

gbm
-12th May 2004, 08:47
You can easily pommel with a Gardere, with a pistol grip a strong beat would probably disarm you. There is only one obvious way to hold a pistol grip since it has finger mouldings and things, but you can hold the grips OR the pommel on a Gardere. It's all relative, as even you admit holding a pistol by the sticky-out bit would be useless.

Possibly it is BS, though.