PDA

View Full Version : Old crock question....

KayJay
-13th May 2004, 07:00
Having had 5 knee ops I find myself in pain most of the time (nothing that a tough old bird can't handle - usually...).

I usually strap my knees up very tightly with tubigrip but it doesn't work particularly well. Has anyone got any advice on different knee supports that reduce mobility as little as possible while actually doing some supporting? :help:

pinkelephant
-13th May 2004, 08:33
I really would suggest seeing a physio for advice. The trouble with tubigrip is that it pushes the kneecap back - not alsways a good thing. You may need support around the kneecap but not on top of it.

KayJay
-13th May 2004, 08:42
Did the whole physio thing - they can't help (in fact made it worse at one stage....)

The last thing the surgeon had to say was "keep using them until they pack up completely and then we'll see about atrificial knees" - fat chance of me letting them get their hands on me again!!

As an aside, it's amazing how much difference there is between private treatment for such things and the NHS.....if only I could still afford the private treatment! :(

KayJay
-13th May 2004, 08:43
actually, he might even have said "artificial"...

Hudson
-13th May 2004, 09:11
i use a knee support i got from argos. has a padded hole for the knee and support down either side of the knee, found it very good. Though i had to modify my breeches to fit over it.

pqg
-13th May 2004, 09:22
There are plenty of knee supports available with a hole for the kneecap. They're designed to fix the kneecap in one position without pushing it in, so should be better than tubagrip. Having dislocated my back knee twice fencing, I never fence without one. They're usually made of neoprene which is a good strong supporting material, but (because it's designed for outdoor sports such as rugby to keep the joint warm aswell as secure) does get incredibly sweaty over a long days fencing...

overlunge
-13th May 2004, 10:29
You might consider taking up some extra off-season weight training to strengthen your quadriceops and hamstring muscles. Rely on your body's nature bracing system.

If all else fails, there are extensive range of knee support form neoprene to elastic with velcro plus flexible slates to support your co-lateral ligaments.

Some even use adjustable slates (stainless steel) to restrict amount of flexion/extension you can do.

American company called Berg is trusty.

May I ask what operation you have done for your knee? Just out of my lowly physio curiousity.

KayJay
-13th May 2004, 11:50
various different types/makes but found them either offering insuffient support or too restrictive/inflexible. The annoying thing is that it not really support I need in terms of the knees being weak (I think?), I suspect that I just need to restrict the movement sufficiently to avoid the pain but not enough to make it too stiff for reasonable movement. I'm not sure that makes sense but that's how it feels!

I keep the knees pretty mobile (some weight-machine training but mainly several months a year in the mountains of France, walking/tree-felling...and I walk several miles pretty much every day in London)

The ops were arthroscopies/menisectomies, overlunge, the first 4 done by John Browett (supposedly the best - does loads of high-profile footie players etc).

KayJay
-13th May 2004, 11:51
What pees me off most about the whole saga is that I'm reasonably certain it was started by the head-case PE master at boarding school who decided that I had knock-knees (no-one else had noticed...) and spent months making me hop around the gym with a rugger ball full of sand between my knees to spread them out.......

Sorry if you thought my comments were aimed at physios in general - not what I meant at all!!

overlunge
-13th May 2004, 19:24
The operations you have described are arthroscopic debridement. It cleans out the debris from all the strains and tears you put on your menisci. Which are your primary shock absorber in your knee.

From a pure (some how stubborn) professional point of view, I have always achived good result with specific exercise rehabilitation.

Bracing is the last line I would go to, as I have said previously. If you are keen, the rigid frame knee support worn by many grid iron players is an option...

Sorry, due to geographic reason I can't ask you to come to my clinic and get treated for free (as in New Zealand) But can keep post me regarding your symptoms, maybe I can help you with.

J_D
-13th May 2004, 23:39
reminds me of one of the reasons I started fencing: I had some bone shards removed from my non-swordarm elbow following a fall from a climbing wall, wondered what sport I could take up with only one good arm!

Jambo
-14th May 2004, 06:10
Is the pain a problem during fencing or afterwards? If its afterwards then a (correctly sized) tubigrip, ice and anti-inflammatories should help. Have you consideered glucosamine and cod liver oil? Supposed to be quite helpful for some people with joint pain problems.

KayJay
-14th May 2004, 06:47
Before, during and after!!

I take glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM, Omega3 etc and rub on a concoction of glucosamine, emu oil,wintergreen etc. Oranges seem to make it worse (but, surprisingly, not lemons!) Steroid shots don't help (and I don't like the idea anyway - not to mention it makes me queasy to remember the sight of hypo needles sticking out of both sides of my knee... :( )

Trouble is (and I can't imagine I'm alone in this predicament) a mechanical solution ideally needs to fit under breeches/socks and offer the correct support without being too constictive......don't want much, do I!!

There's nothing more annoying than not being able to lunge because you don't know if you can get back en garde again afterwards :o