PDA

View Full Version : Broken foil wire - need some help

Timmay
-15th May 2004, 10:57
Just got myself my first electric foil and having taken it apart to adjust the tang so the blade points that little bit off centre Ive put it back together and have managed to pinch the wire and break it so theres about 10-15mm left from where its glued to the blade. Is there anyway I can attach the now two bits of wire back together ie solder them or am I better off re-wiring the whole thing? If I need to rewire it what do i need and where is the best place to go to get it?

cheers

Timmay

reposte
-15th May 2004, 11:16
The best option is to rewire the whole thing.

sparkymark567
-15th May 2004, 11:36
It can be quite tricky to rewire a blade. It will probably take a few attempts if you've not done it before. Consider getting someone else to do it for you. You could send it to either Leon Paul or Duellist and they can rewire them, for a small charge.

Timmay
-15th May 2004, 15:53
figured that was gonna be the case :(

Saxon
-15th May 2004, 17:15
You could try soldering another piece of blade-wire onto the stub you have left, but you'd have to make sure that once you did it, the insulation was faultless.

It seems an awful faff and expense to get the weapon back to Pauls (or elsewhere) for a rewire, particularly with a new weapon.

In future (of course you've learnt now) make sure you get the wire through the hole in the middle of the bracket which holds the socket on, but under the pad. Then as you reaffix the grip, get the wire into the notch which lines up with the top surface of the blade.

As you tighten up the weapon, it helps to have it plugged into a test box, so you can hopefully see a short before the wire breaks.

HTH

Timmay
-15th May 2004, 21:22
cheers for your help saxon, think I'll try soldering it first - at the end of the day i can't lose anything by doing it (except maybe my temper whilst trying to usu a soldering iron!) and yes a most valuable lesson learnt!

Leonardofury
-16th May 2004, 22:21
I'd suggest soldering (mainly because I hate rewiring). I've don't that on a foil before and wrapped insulation tape round and it was fine.

Tubby
-19th May 2004, 11:38
if the wire is broken half way down the blade (as it popped out of the groove on my son's 2 month old Allstar and got hit and broke at the U10 in Bristol), can that be soldered or is it a total rewire?

Timmay
-19th May 2004, 12:20
I would think that would be a total rewire - going on the difficulty i had trying to solde the end of the wire back on, plus you also have the problem insulating the soldered joint, I would also imagine a soldered joint in the middle of the blade would soon break.

Leonardofury
-19th May 2004, 15:25
That is a rewire job it would be very hard too repair and get right. then you would have to get it back in the groove.

Australian
-19th May 2004, 16:15
Originally posted by Tubby
if the wire is broken half way down the blade (as it popped out of the groove on my son's 2 month old Allstar and got hit and broke at the U10 in Bristol), can that be soldered or is it a total rewire?

just rewire it... foils are fairly simple and cheap to do

stevejackson
-19th May 2004, 20:03
If the stub of wire is long enough say 10 to 15 mm (half inch) the fastest cure is solder the broken piece on then cover with heat shrink tubing for the full length, and shrink down. This gives insulation and mechanical support to the joint if you choose the right size of sleeve (1.5 to 2.5 mm). Total repair time about 5 mins.

If you choose this route don't forget to remove both the cotton covering and the varnish - the varnish in modern foil wire laughs of attempts to solder through it. The tip is if the wire is brown then the varnish is stil present, clean copper is pinkish in colour.

This trick is not strictly legal as the rules require double insulation within the guard but no one will ever challenge and if they do they can't remove the sleeving any how.

Tubby
-19th May 2004, 21:58
thanks for the advice everyone.

imported_sword_fixer
-20th May 2004, 08:35
Armourer stevejackson?

Rdb811
-20th May 2004, 23:01
The same.

imported_sword_fixer
-21st May 2004, 08:27
Steve, did you ever get the e-mail I sent you re the AG website?