PDA

View Full Version : Appeal to LPJS comp organisers

Baldric
-17th May 2004, 20:37
Hi Guys

On behalf of parents, I would like to thank all those who organise and run the various comps.

However, please listen to this heartfelt appeal!

By the nature of the series, many families travel long distances for their kids to compete. I appreciate that it feels good to hold the presentation ceremony at the very end, but for those of us travelling hundreds of miles, it really is a pain to have to wait 2 or 3 hours after an age group finishes for our kid to collect their tin.

At Bude last weekend, amongst the medallists were 2 from Kent, 2 from London, and 2 from Hampshire just amongst the people I know - all facing 3 - 5 hour drives home. All the parents that I talked to commented on the inconvenience of the long wait.

Bude was a great competition - smoothly run, nice venue, good presiding, friendly organisers, but however you look at it, its also miles away from home. At least it was Saturday - the Sunday ones when school follows the next day is worse.

Please consider making presentations as soon as practical!

PS. Edinburgh on 6th June - got to get back to Portsmouth that night. AAARRRGGGHHHH

vikkia
-18th May 2004, 06:50
Why are you doing edinburgh on the 6th June when there is Portsmouth on the 5/6th June, That seems insane!!:confused:

Baldric
-18th May 2004, 08:24
My daughter's age group is fighting on Sat at P & S and Sunday in Edinburgh.

Courtesy of a ridiculously indulgent father, and a couple of bucket shop airline tickets, she is fighting in both.

Insane? - maybe. Committed? - she is, and I should be!

tigger
-18th May 2004, 08:58
Hi Baldric

The plan was to hold the U15 presentations (boys and girls) together, the U13s together and so on. unfortunately the girls entry was unusually small (among other things 3 pulled out at the last minute), and the boys was quite large. None of the other age groups had to wait a huge amount of time and that wasn't the intention. In retrospect we should have just got the girls finished and let you go.

Thanks for your other comments on the event.

Cheers

Jon

Andy W.
-18th May 2004, 10:39
I'd agree with the comments about hanging around once 'our' event has finished. It is nice to win medals and things and fair for the organisers to want to make a 'bit of a thing' of it, but the prospect of a long trip home does make one's feet itch! - The Nationals are particularly bad for making you hang around.
Its one of the reasons we're not doing so many competitons at the moment.

Andy W.
-18th May 2004, 10:40
I'd agree with the comments about hanging around once 'our' event has finished. It is nice to win medals and things and fair for the organisers to want to make a 'bit of a thing' of it, but the prospect of a long trip home does make one's feet itch! - The Nationals are particularly bad for making you hang around.
Its one of the reasons we're not doing so many competitons at the moment.

Tubby
-18th May 2004, 11:51
Originally posted by Baldric
My daughter's age group is fighting on Sat at P & S and Sunday in Edinburgh.

Courtesy of a ridiculously indulgent father, and a couple of bucket shop airline tickets, she is fighting in both.

Insane? - maybe. Committed? - she is, and I should be! :thumbs_up I couldn't find a doffing cap smilie - all the same, I've gotta doff my hat at your effort.

Though it does give me an idea - fly down to Portsmouth on the Friday - get the daughter to fence up in U13 and son in U9, fly to Edinburgh with son Saturday night, daughter flies to Leeds/Newcastle get picked up by wife for U14 epee in Harrogate on Sunday, fly back to Leeds - sorted.

Doh! Just remembered the daughter's on a water sports adventure day on the Saturday and the boy caving. Thank god, otherwise it would have cost a fortune.

PM1
-18th May 2004, 22:44
oh but where have i heard this all before......:grin: something about Pisa to Stoke to deepest darkest Haworth in a w/end...it's sobering/rewarding to know I'm not the only one...:)

tigger
-19th May 2004, 07:53
Last year I flew to Copenhagen Coupe du Nord Friday, back to London late Saturday after the competition, then drove overnight to Cornwall to fence in the county sabre at 9am Sunday so i could retain my title....I'm after my coach's record of 7 in a row:grin:

Australian
-19th May 2004, 09:27
Originally posted by tigger
Last year I flew to Copenhagen Coupe du Nord Friday

that would really tire your arms... :)

tigger
-19th May 2004, 16:47
Evolution moves fast with the sea air here...

Winwaloe
-21st May 2004, 13:41
If all LPJS venues could provide a grass slide then at least the little dears would not mind hanging about!!! - Of course the real problem is leaving Cornwall to get back to that polluted cess pit known as London and the Home Counties! - You could feel the pollution getting a hold half way down the M4. Any chance that all LPJS could be held in Cornwall. Bude, St Ives, Penzance, an outside one at Zennor and perhaps the last one in Fowey? - Well it's a thought!

whizzkid1982
-21st May 2004, 13:46
Originally posted by tigger
Evolution moves fast with the sea air here...

must have something to do with breeding rituals!!!

tigger
-21st May 2004, 14:58
Quote Any chance that all LPJS could be held in Cornwall. Bude, St Ives, Penzance, an outside one at Zennor and perhaps the last one in Fowey? - Well it's a thought!

You forgot the main event at Goongumpus...

Winwaloe
-26th May 2004, 12:58
Just down from the "Hooting Carn" I believe. An outside comp would be good. Recall doing an outside knitting needle comp (eppee) many moons ago in Cambridge. Good fun - back to a LPJS on the beach?!