PDA

View Full Version : Conundrum

bydande
-13th May 2003, 07:21
If BarryPaul doesnt like flick hitting (see all his posts on the subject) - why does Leon Paul sell the flickiest blades? The "Flickmaster" is an LP blade isnt it?

Gav
-13th May 2003, 07:32
Oh dear! Looks like there are flame wars afoot.... ;)

bydande
-13th May 2003, 07:38
Gav,
Its not a flame - well I dont think it is, but as I dont actually know what a flame is I might be wrong - its a question.

kingkenny
-13th May 2003, 07:42
I think its a matter of giving the people a choice if you can provied a range as big as Barry Paul does then you have a better chance of having exactly what the people want. Just because you like one thing does not mean everybody likes it.
I think Lp have the most fencing products out of all the companies but quite some distance. This because Barry designs most of the stuff himself like:
-Stretch clothing
-Lightweight sectional aluminium pistes.:eek:
-The world lightest FIE approved Epee blade.
-The first see through mask with a
replaceable scratch layer.
-Ultra light, full-length carbon fibre handles.
-Microprocessor apparatus.
-Insulated masks.
-Flexible plugs for body wires.
-The first foil blade designed for flick hits
-Battery operated portable club apparatus. :cool:
-X-change mask
-Contor fit system:party:

If Barry was not designing fencing equpiment I am sure he would have made a great mad scientist. :transport

:mexwave: for Barry.

(how about some more funding Baz ;) I have plans for a real time chat room next... No moderating for kenny! :party: )

Gav
-13th May 2003, 07:46
A flame is an angry post to a bulletin board. A flame war is an exhange of flames. These generally become more and more heated until one of the protagonists spontaneously explodes...

Incidentally I didn't think that yours was a flame rather that it would start some and end in a flame war.

Gav
-13th May 2003, 07:49
If I was a manufacturer and I hated flicks I would still try and get some kit together to reflect the market. If people want to flick then why not provide them with the necessary kit and make a few bucks at the same time? Business over preference I think.

Aoife
-13th May 2003, 07:54
-Stretch clothing
-Lightweight sectional aluminium pistes.
-The world lightest FIE approved Epee blade.
-The first see through mask with a
replaceable scratch layer.
-Ultra light, full-length carbon fibre handles.
-Microprocessor apparatus.
-Insulated masks.
-Flexible plugs for body wires.
-The first foil blade designed for flick hits
-Battery operated portable club apparatus.
-X-change mask
-Contor fit system

Wow! Some of that stuff sounds really cool!

:mexwave:

Muso440
-13th May 2003, 07:58
Aoife, what are you doing posting at this time of day? Shouldn't you be at school?;) ;) ;)

Not that I should be working or anything....:(

kingkenny
-13th May 2003, 08:06
Everyone do some work please your making me feel bad. :dizzy:

bydande
-13th May 2003, 08:10
Gav,
I agree that "business needs" is an acceptable answer to my questions - and with turnover of approx 1m, LP is a corporate business not a hobby. Everybody has to keep the wolf from the door and feed the bairns.

What I was more interested in was - did Barry's dislike of flicking come before or after the development of flick blades. To say, did Barry develop the flick blade and then see it "ruin" foil or was it the other way round, he developed flick blades in spite of the fact that he didnt like flicking but it made business sense to go with the flow. The first scenario is more Frankensteins monster whilst the second is more Microsoft.

PS. Work is highly over rated

Gav
-13th May 2003, 08:23
Originally posted by bydande
Gav,
I agree that "business needs" is an acceptable answer to my questions - and with turnover of approx 1m, LP is a corporate business not a hobby. Everybody has to keep the wolf from the door and feed the bairns.

What I was more interested in was - did Barry's dislike of flicking come before or after the development of flick blades. To say, did Barry develop the flick blade and then see it "ruin" foil or was it the other way round, he developed flick blades in spite of the fact that he didnt like flicking but it made business sense to go with the flow. The first scenario is more Frankensteins monster whilst the second is more Microsoft.

PS. Work is highly over rated

Kind of like Frankensteins monster...

Good question. I think it's a philisophical question that Barry himself would have to answer.

Yes work is highly overrated.

Jambo
-13th May 2003, 08:33
I can laugh at you all now, my exams are over and I'm doing Public Health Medicine, i therefore only have about 3 hours of work today wahay!!! And I'm off to get to Lazlo's for the first time tonight!!

bydande
-13th May 2003, 08:52
If other industries have words like "sexploitation" and "blaxploitaion" can we have "flixploitation"

Barry Paul
-13th May 2003, 09:22
What ruined foil fencing for me was attacks with total absence of blade and point. See my comments I blame the referee.

Flick hits were after this. Whether I agree with flick hits or not they are a legal action and like many new fencing moves/techniques they were taken by many as the answer to geting results/winning.

Providing blades with the flexibility marked on them and designed to bend more at the point allowed fencers to order blades he/she wanted without coming into the retail shop and going through a bundle of blades.

Fortunately the top fencers have a complete range of movements and fencing techniques which means if you watch world class fencing flick hits are only used occassionaly.

My dislike of flick hits at the moment is that to counter them you need to develop higher deeper parries and move more. My footwork and fitness is not good enough (Laurance would say non-exsistant) when fencing the top fencers.

When introducing the flick master blade we only had our standard point so for a period we imported points, their disappointing performance, (deforming barrels cracking at the thread, in fact they were so bad I discussed the problem with Billy Gosbee who remarked it was no problem all you did was give the faulty foil to the technician and next evening the foil would be returned fixed) This made me develop our GT point, but thats a diferent story. Barry

Aoife
-13th May 2003, 10:35
Aoife, what are you doing posting at this time of day? Shouldn't you be at school?

I am at school. I posted earlier just before registration as I sit right by the computers in my form room, and now I'm in an IT lesson :grin:

Gav
-13th May 2003, 10:44
and now I'm in an IT lesson

Oi! Get back to work. I work for an internet company it's my job to post meaningless questions on forums.

Aoife
-13th May 2003, 10:51
Oi! Get back to work.

Now I'm back in my form room... it's breaktime (I'm rarely disconnected from a computer in my spare time :) )

Moose
-13th May 2003, 18:33
Originally posted by Aoife
Now I'm back in my form room... it's breaktime (I'm rarely disconnected from a computer in my spare time :) )

<Wonder's whether Aoife had a USB port to interface directly with the computers>

Hudson
-13th May 2003, 18:54
it's almost like a real life matrix

Aoife
-13th May 2003, 19:44
<Wonder's whether Aoife had a USB port to interface directly with the computers>

Of course I do, doesn't everybody?

(Oooh, talking of the Matrix, my coach knows those fighters in white from when he did martial arty type stuff... and his sister dated one of them.... but anyway :) )

Moose
-13th May 2003, 22:09
Originally posted by Aoife
Of course I do, doesn't everybody?

Well I WAS trying to keep mine a secret, but never mind :grin:

pTeppic
-17th May 2003, 19:48
Ahh, to be a student and hence a professional layabout. Although saying that, with exams just around the corner maybe *I* should get some work done.

Kian

Moose
-18th May 2003, 05:29
Work is the curse of the drinking classes

Jambo
-18th May 2003, 11:01
Originally posted by pTeppic
Ahh, to be a student and hence a professional layabout. Although saying that, with exams just around the corner maybe *I* should get some work done.

Kian

Just do as a certain newly blonde sabruer does and make the uni shift your exams to August so you can go to Helsinki!!!!

(Esther, if you're reading this, two can play at that game:tongue: )

Moose
-18th May 2003, 19:15
Or do as I do and just ignore them :grin:

pTeppic
-18th May 2003, 23:58
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jambo
[B]Just do as a certain newly blonde sabruer does and make the uni shift your exams to August so you can go to Helsinki!!!!

Two questions:

1) WHO? Are you talking about Jules? In which case bar-steward. Durham would do it, if I was good enough.

2) If I don't sit them now, I'll never sit them.

To much inter-uni liasing between Newcastle and Durham - be warned we have many drunken nights ahead.

Kian Ryan,
Durham University Fencing Club

Jambo
-19th May 2003, 13:06
Originally posted by pTeppic

Two questions:

1) WHO? Are you talking about Jules? In which case bar-steward. Durham would do it, if I was good enough.

2) If I don't sit them now, I'll never sit them.

To much inter-uni liasing between Newcastle and Durham - be warned we have many drunken nights ahead.

Yeah, i'm talking about Jules, I'm trying to be mysterious for Esthers sake.

As for interliasing we're just going to take over Laszlo's fencing mwhhahahah. Or maybe not.

We should have more friendlies/socials though.

twohappyhippos
-19th May 2003, 13:44
ok im lost! what do you mean jambo that two can play at this game....what game? yet again im sooooooo lost! some one please explain! :rolleyes: