PDA

View Full Version : mix & matching parts!

symon
-21st May 2004, 15:09
I currently own an LP{ golubitski pro foil and a new Lp flickmaster ( which arrived this morning !! thanks guys!!! :) ) and I'm quite keen on changing the handles to another make like allstar or something!! is this possible or not??

srb
-21st May 2004, 15:23
All the Allstar grips should fit on the LP tangs.

I interchange between LP and Uhlmann grips and LP and BF blades without any problem.

The allen nuts are also the same.

srb

sparkymark567
-21st May 2004, 19:49
I interchange too. except I use BF blades from allstar and put them on the LP handles.

The LP handles are better than the allstar ones in my opinion. I'm not sure why you want to use an allstar handle. The LP handles have the rough grip surface which works really well.

If the handle is uncomfortable, you could be using a handle which is too big. I use the LP small handles, they will feel really small to start with but they are much better when you get used to them. If you have really big hands then go for a medium, otherwise I would suggest trying a small. A smaller handle gives you more control over the blade and helps you flick better (seeing as you have a flickmaster). I find the upwards ponting prong much more comfortable aswell. Trust me, it's really worth giving it a go. A lot of top fencers use small handles and some have fairly big hands.

symon
-21st May 2004, 22:50
I'm using LP medium pistols at the mo ....... just fancy trying a belgian or russian grip for a change

Rdb811
-22nd May 2004, 00:15
All my wepaons are complete mongrels by now.

Leonardofury
-22nd May 2004, 18:18
I think the only components that arn't interchangeable are grub screws.

gbm
-22nd May 2004, 18:23
Points in general - because the machining tolerances are much tighter than with anything else, and just because different manufacturers use different sizes. If you have a certain barrel, you generally need the matching point top, the matching spring, and the matching screws.

stevejackson
-22nd May 2004, 20:58
The only thing that may upset this idea is the length of the tang. You need to check this before you assemble your weapon, preferably before you buy the handle. Obviously long tangs can be shortened but in the absence of welding kit you can't lengthen a short tang.

Ideally for pistol grips the tang should be as long as the length of the handle bore minus the length of the counterbore plus about 12 mm (half inch). This varies for each handle. You'll get away with the 12 mm being as short as 10mm much shorter and you'll have problems getting the nut to hold, or as long as 15mm anything much over this and you'll have difficulty tightening the nut up.

One other thought it's easier to file the tang to fit the handle than file the handle bore to fit the tang.

gbm
-22nd May 2004, 22:18
I presume that is unless you have a plastic handle. Especially a Gardere.

Moose
-23rd May 2004, 02:26
Mixing and matching is always fun, it took a bit of brute force and ignorance to get my LP pommel onto the tang of my LM sabre blade.

uk_45
-23rd May 2004, 08:53
I find new LP electric pommels are fun to fit

gbm
-23rd May 2004, 09:44
The little slippy plastic ones that you can't turn very well?

Moose
-23rd May 2004, 17:54
Those are the ones, just use a pair of pliers

gbm
-23rd May 2004, 19:15
I've only got little tiny pliers though. Fortunately I rarely work on sabres.

uk_45
-23rd May 2004, 21:20
Ahh just had the blade taken of and the reason it took me an hour to put on is the thread was touching

Moose
-23rd May 2004, 22:58
Originally posted by uk_45
Ahh just had the blade taken of and the reason it took me an hour to put on is the thread was touching

The thread was touching wha?

gbm
-23rd May 2004, 23:02
Yeah, I was wondering that. Presumably it was touching the pommel...

Moose
-23rd May 2004, 23:10
I had the same problem, nearley went out of the other end of it lol.

gbm
-23rd May 2004, 23:14
Cardiff Uni has a club sabre where the thread protudes through the pommel by about 1/2"...

Moose
-23rd May 2004, 23:15
Sounds about right, tho with enough tape it won't REALLY cause a problem.

gbm
-23rd May 2004, 23:20
Unless you use it to clobber someone...

Moose
-23rd May 2004, 23:31
Nah the guard is better for that. Tho I do remember hearing about someone hitting someone over the back of the head with their pommel before, nasty stuff really.

uk_45
-24th May 2004, 17:25
no the thread was touching it self, If you can picture that.

gbm
-24th May 2004, 18:02
Do you mean it wasn't cut properly?

Moose
-25th May 2004, 12:39
Sounds like it. you need the right sized die and then recut the thread.

uk_45
-25th May 2004, 14:02
Yeah it wasn't a machinecut to the thread wasn't very deep either