PDA

View Full Version : Riiiiip

Moose
-23rd May 2004, 02:34
Well I decided to put on my Allstar lame today and when I bent down to retrieve my sabre I ripped the back open. Which wasn't a good thing.

Anyone know what size LP lames go up to?

uk_45
-23rd May 2004, 08:49
There site list up 46.

gbm
-23rd May 2004, 10:00
You can have it custom-tailored for something like 30% extra I think (at least with jackets), and I think extensions for arms and legs are usually free.
Not sure though. Barry!

Rdb811
-23rd May 2004, 15:42
48 foil lames (or was when I bought mine)and 46 sabre lames - my sabre lame was made for me by LP (48 with short arms) - there was no surchage when I bought it - although there was for a jacket (48 30N)I was going to buy a couple of months ago - bought a 46 800N (which fitted, but has far too long arms)- I was a ina rush as I could have bought a Duellist for a lot less (and may have to do so).

J_D
-23rd May 2004, 16:50
you'd have thought they'd make 'em bigger for sabreurs :moon:

Moose
-23rd May 2004, 17:51
Well my jacket is a 48, they charged me the 30% extra for that, Will have to see how the finances are running.

bucket
-24th May 2004, 17:53
Just got my 48 LP sabre jacket (and a normal one).

saved all the money I would have spent on chocolate/cakes/beer- whimper-/anything else that isn't Green and "healthy" for the last year.

fits like a dream.

think if you ask really nicely they go up to 50.

failing that the yanks seem to go up further.

:foodhungr

uk_45
-24th May 2004, 17:55
Greenstuff only, poor you!

Aoife
-24th May 2004, 22:39
I ripped the back open.

Is the the actual lame or just the zip? Zips can be mended.

(I'm a super-zip-mender due to the amount the ones at my club seem to go!)

Moose
-25th May 2004, 12:41
Originally posted by Aoife
Is the the actual lame or just the zip? Zips can be mended.

(I'm a super-zip-mender due to the amount the ones at my club seem to go!)

Well the zip is on the front on sabre lames, so with the back going it was the lame cloth itself.

uk_45
-25th May 2004, 14:00
Yeah so nice having a front zip.

Aoife your club got electrics yet?

Dalby
-25th May 2004, 17:45
I've seen some sabreurs fencing in these, which look jolly good (& being from the colonies necessarily go up to some rather rotund sizes! ;) ):

Infinity Lamés (http://www.infinityelectronics.com/products.html)

Very lightweight and breathable and I understand that they do deliver to the UK.

gbm
-25th May 2004, 17:59
I'm don't think they make a size small enough for me...
My LP one has 36 inside it.

uk_45
-25th May 2004, 19:49
Show off!

Yeah infinity Lames came up before, there was some talk they maybe a illegal can't remeber why tho

gbm
-25th May 2004, 19:53
LP make adult lames down to size 34...

uk_45
-25th May 2004, 19:56
Nah there kiddie lames that why one the site they have a specail product entry

gbm
-25th May 2004, 20:01
No, the kiddie lames come in sizes 34 and 36, and the adult lames come in sizes 34, 36, 38, 40, 42, 44, 46.

pinkelephant
-26th May 2004, 12:33
Originally posted by Moose
Well the zip is on the front on sabre lames, so with the back going it was the lame cloth itself.

You can get back zip sabre lames - very useful for clubs so they can be used by right or left handers. You just have to ask the nice people at LP (can I have my commisssion now Barry?)

uk_45
-26th May 2004, 17:14
Our left handed sabreur uses a right handed lame!

gbm
-26th May 2004, 18:18
That's not very good...

uk_45
-26th May 2004, 21:07
he says its more comfy thanhis left handed zipped

Steve
-28th May 2004, 08:12
Anybody know why the infinity lames would be illegal?

Moose
-28th May 2004, 12:42
I could be wrong but I think its to do with them not having insulation on the inside.

uk_45
-28th May 2004, 13:07
Yeah i will try to so a search on them but i think there was somthing about stiching to.

sparkymark567
-28th May 2004, 13:12
are they legal for foil.

uk_45
-28th May 2004, 13:13
Originally posted by UglyBug -11th December 2003 07:16 PM; on the 'I need a new sabre lame!' thread
For those that it will matter to (unfortunately, I is not one) John Kennedy was telling me that infinity lames are not FIE-legal. This is because of all the little holes in the net-like lining that mean it is not a complete lining. Lining has to be complete, because it is insulating you from the metal bit of the lame. If you are not completely insulated, and you sweat lots all your kit can become live, so, for example if you get hit on the thigh, it will come up as a live hit for your opponent. That would irritate me no end!

sparkymark567
-28th May 2004, 13:13
sorry, meant to say are infinity lames legal for foil?

uk_45
-28th May 2004, 13:14
From what i quoted above i would guess not

pinkelephant
-28th May 2004, 14:27
A left hander wearing a right-handed jacket is illegal.

uk_45
-28th May 2004, 14:41
Yeah he only wears it for club now.

Barry Paul
-28th May 2004, 17:28
Pink Elephant send the bill as usual.
In a holiday spirit of lets be the good guy.

I think that Infinity lames at foil and sabre are probably not illegal, the wording in the rules says the lining must be water resistant. (The rules were written in the days when water proof material hardly existed, Leon Paul brought out the first waterproof lining but that’s a different story.) All materials are water resistant for a period. In the case of Infinity lame that period is about one nano second, technically it's legal. Especially as now if a hit arrives off target but registers, even if can be repeated the hit still stands. A fencers is not put at a disadvantage if his opponent chooses to use lame jacket which could allow off target lights to register as valid. |Barry Paul.

uk_45
-28th May 2004, 18:09
Good point yeah, If you want to risk a increased target area your choice i guess.

Aoife
-29th May 2004, 23:08
Well the zip is on the front on sabre lames, so with the back going it was the lame cloth itself

Eee, well I've seen them on the back sometimes.

Aoife your club got electrics yet?

Of course not! We've just because a 'Lanaguage Special Status'; no money's going anywhere near departments which aren't French, German or Spanish! (Though there is talk of Japense in a year or so). Our big-plan at the moment is to sneek a jacket order through the system without getting caught, just so we have a male one for our more 'manly' shaped foilist from the local boys' school. If we're really sneaky, they may send off the cheque without looking into the rest of the order. *crosses fingers* Anyway, we're goign to tell them it's necessary for insurance policies for boys to wear boys clothing once they're over the age of 16... they'll never know. Mwahaahaa.

We do have two lamés, two bodywires, and two Leccy swords. Just nowt to plug them into. (and one lamé is mahoosive, because we had to make sure any fencer sould fit into them... the other one is a tad big me, but okay on most -normal shaped- people)

uk_45
-31st May 2004, 12:53
Hmmm all the fencing words are french how about using it as language devolpment!

gbm
-31st May 2004, 14:37
Aren't the lines all Italian? (prime, seconde, tierce, quarte, quinte, sixte, septime, octave, neuvieme)

uk_45
-31st May 2004, 14:51
Switching languages quickly a important skill for translators!

Neo
-31st May 2004, 15:03
Originally posted by Moose
Well I decided to put on my Allstar lame today and when I bent down to retrieve my sabre I ripped the back open. Which wasn't a good thing.

Anyone know what size LP lames go up to?

'anorexic' right up to 'well aren't you a fat *******' I believe... :tongue:

I went in to woolworth's today to get sewing stuff for putting strips on for Cole Cup and found some glue stuff called "sew simple".. an essential piece of kit me thinks - save spending time with a needle and thread if something breaks/rips. you just glue it and stick it together and it glues in no-time. Might not be a good idea for lames tho.

ps. Woolworth's is doing two for one on water and izotonic drinks atm.

Naughty foilist
-31st May 2004, 15:19
Originally posted by Neo
I went in to woolworth's today to get sewing stuff for putting strips on for Cole Cup and found some glue stuff called "sew simple".. an essential piece of kit me thinks - save spending time with a needle and thread if something breaks/rips. you just glue it and stick it together and it glues in no-time.

Suddenly I have a vision of Neo being the first fencer to appear mummified in Union flag tape due to a combination of hot weather, beer and random glueing,... :cheers2:

uk_45
-31st May 2004, 15:23
That i would like to see. lol

Rdb811
-31st May 2004, 16:15
Originally posted by Naughty foilist
Suddenly I have a vision of Neo being the first fencer to appear mummified in Union flag tape due to a combination of hot weather, beer and random glueing,... :cheers2:

LOL

Neo
-1st June 2004, 14:00
Unoftunately the glue isn't as good as promised... gets all over ya fingers so u end up with British stripes with gooey bits on (Remember the white glue u used in school... its like that) :S

think the second strip is soo going to the tailors (either that or my personal tailor... aka my mother :P)

uk_45
-1st June 2004, 14:05
So much easier to get them put on by LP

Neo
-1st June 2004, 14:09
they won't do em... they'll only do it when u buy the breeches/jacket :(

uk_45
-1st June 2004, 14:13
Yeah i thought you'd only just bought the 800N breeches

Neo
-1st June 2004, 14:18
no had the breeches for ages, getting the jacket with em already on, but the breeches I gotta do myself

I think its safe to say I'm gonna rip this side off and do it again. Can't even leave it till later cos I gotta put something on to cover up the glue mess :(

started off fairly well, but then I got a bit glue happy :S

uk_45
-1st June 2004, 14:22
Ahh be carefull when ripping off the stripes not to take the breeches with them.

Neo
-1st June 2004, 14:24
I'm thinking I might finish this side, and get someone to do em properly later. Only problem there is that I gotta make more glue mess :S

Neo
-1st June 2004, 14:35
and I now have a cigarette glued to my fingers ;)

uk_45
-1st June 2004, 14:41
And you can still type?

Neo
-1st June 2004, 15:03
lol got it off now.

Neo
-1st June 2004, 15:32
They definitely look better sewn on, but oh so much work!

Rdb811
-1st June 2004, 15:42
Won't do you any harm.

uk_45
-1st June 2004, 15:59
As long as he doesn't sew him self to the breeches

Neo
-1st June 2004, 16:04
looking quite nice now. The glue isn't bad provided you use it sparingly and are very careful not the touch the stripe or breeches with excess glue on your hands. Another idea might be to use it as an aid to sewing it.

I've finished that one stripe and started sewing the other, but sketchleys round the corner says they can do them same day, so I'm gonna leave ripping it off then take it in tommorrow morning.

uk_45
-1st June 2004, 16:06
I'd still say sew them on.

uk_45
-1st June 2004, 16:07
Cos you'll be the only person in GBR to have glued on go faster stripes

Neo
-1st June 2004, 16:07
Originally posted by uk_45
I'd still say sew them on.

you try it.

half an hour and I'd only gotten two inches or so.

uk_45
-1st June 2004, 16:10
Ok so what if i can sew! :o:

Neo
-1st June 2004, 16:11
nu-uh! I have British Stripes with gooey bits (tm)

:grin:

Neo
-1st June 2004, 17:36
Verdict on the glue... seems not bad, just rather easy to make a mess. You can pick it off if all else fails, but still a pain in the ass spending half an hour picking it off.

Beats sewing any day tho :tongue:

Neo
-2nd June 2004, 11:15
urgh. I just got to see under the strip after I ripped it off - big thick yellow glue stain in a stripe up the side. Here's hoping the tailor will sew right over it!

gbm
-2nd June 2004, 12:08
Maybe you should have tried it on something less expensive than your 800N breeches first...

Neo
-2nd June 2004, 12:28
Originally posted by goodbadandme
Maybe you should have tried it on something less expensive than your 800N breeches first...

I could pick it off, but that would take some time :P

In any event it will be covered with stripes, it just means I can never take that side off.

Now I got an excuse to get some nice adidas ones :grin:

uk_45
-2nd June 2004, 13:12
Hmmm you got that much money? And they aint nice either

Neo
-2nd June 2004, 14:00
£148 from Uhlmann, £130 from blades - only £20 more expensive than LP's at £110 and I rather like em. Would need the jacket to match though.

Got a couple more pressing items that I need to get first, but certainly later this year.

woo! Got a job interview tommorrow :D

Rdb811
-2nd June 2004, 14:06
Originally posted by Neo

Got a couple more pressing items that I need to get first,

Food, for a start.:tongue:

Neo
-2nd June 2004, 14:14
Originally posted by Rdb811
Food, for a start.:tongue:

Nah, got plenty of nicotine right here... :tongue:

uk_45
-2nd June 2004, 15:41
Water?

Neo
-2nd June 2004, 15:50
Got tons of that too and state of the art... wait for it... flushing toilets! (that's right... u read right! :grin: )

uk_45
-2nd June 2004, 15:51
Erm ok any one else scared, i think that glues gone to his head!

Neo
-2nd June 2004, 16:15
nah it smelt like cat wee, think it had like that stuff u clean ur toilets with (forget the name) in it.

Got the breeches back. The untouched side looks nice, and the other side isn't too bad apart from a few blobs around the edges and a bit at the bottom - still an hour or so of picking and all should be well :)

Canis
-4th June 2004, 16:44
Sorry to drag back to the original topic :transport

Moose, re the sabre lame's

being a 4XL kind of guy and coming back to fencing recently after a few years break I've done a fair bit of research recently into the the sizes of kit offered by all the various manufacturers.

LP make their clothing to 46" then above this offer made to measure at 30% more. For this however you can get the clothes properly made to measure with loads of different measurements taken, not just your chest size. I havent had a sabre lame yet, but i have had a jacket & a foil lame lame made to measure and have been very pleased with the fit! Seems good value to me to only cost 30% extra given the extra material & custom fit.
That being said theres no getting away from the fact that+30% for a sabre lame jacket brings the cost up to nearly £155.

A couple of the other UK suppliers are able to offer a made to measure service but this would seem to involve you sending them measurements and them sending them elsewhere to be made (usually europe). There doesnt appear to be much of a saving if at all over the LP price given Quality of th3e goods and potential for problems if it doesnt fit when it arrives !

If you need the ultra budget option though a couple of the usa based suppliers (eg. blue gauntlet) that make their own kit make well past your size and with the strength of the pound against the dollar they are really cheap- Ive no idea about the quality but i did say ultra budget option!

Shaolin Monkey
-4th June 2004, 19:42
Ive been fencing sabre for a few months now and although a 40" chest find the 40" LP lames quite restrictive would I be best going for the 42 or are there any other manufacturer's who tailor their jackets differently, Im aware of the Triplette stretch lame but not sure whether it has decent lastability or not.

gbm
-4th June 2004, 19:45
If you are a funny shape, you could always get one made-to-measure, but a 42" lame might do you just as well...

Shaolin Monkey
-4th June 2004, 19:50
Not really funny shape but have quite a thick jacket and plastron that could be doing it

gbm
-4th June 2004, 19:54
Quite often you do have to go a size up.

Shaolin Monkey
-4th June 2004, 19:59
Yeah thought so, just LP makes quite a big deal about adapting the sizes to adjust for the jackets. Am wondering whether to go for the LP standard or the Allstar lames ive heard both are v good but the Allstar lasts a bit longer.

gbm
-4th June 2004, 20:06
As a general rule, LP stuff tends to last longer than anything else; I can't give specific advice in this instance except that the LP lames are very good and very durable.

Shaolin Monkey
-5th June 2004, 11:53
To be honest the guy that told me did say that the LP and allstar were very similar, so thats one vote for each one.

oddball
-7th June 2004, 10:39
LP takes a battering well.

Shaolin Monkey
-7th June 2004, 10:47
True, Ill probably go for the LP because Im thinking of getting an XC mask or two (my bro wants one too) because im sick of using club ones that smell like kidney stone catching sieves.

Dalby
-7th June 2004, 12:38
Originally posted by Goodbadandme
As a general rule, LP stuff tends to last longer than anything else; I can't give specific advice in this instance except that the LP lames are very good and very durable.

Originally posted by Oddball
LP takes a battering well.
Has Barry got you pair on the payroll?;)

gbm
-7th June 2004, 14:04
Not yet!

Shaolin Monkey
-7th June 2004, 14:48
keep me informed on the payroll situation, if it changes I might start becoming an LP promoter too!

gbm
-7th June 2004, 15:41
If only I got paid per post...

uk_45
-7th June 2004, 16:37
I'f barry wants to stick me on his payroll he can.

Or even give me a couple of sabres would make me happy

Shaolin Monkey
-7th June 2004, 22:55
Yes, pay in trade is good too.