PDA

View Full Version : Which Uni team would you most like a re-match against?

frank_drebin
-24th May 2004, 23:03
SSimple thread, who did you fence last year who you think you would like to fence again?

Was there a particular team which you were close in points to?

Someone who you should have really beat?

Someone that you just like to fence against?

ceprab
-25th May 2004, 10:56
For the Bath team at the start of this year (not that I'm there any more), we would have liked a rematch against Bristol, as it was our first match and came beforeour first training session. I had to wander around asking people there who they were to find out which team they were on (I couldn't ask in the minibus as I was driving). We lost narrowly, and this gave Bristol the league. Of our team, maybe one foilist was on proper form.

We got a rematch of sorts at Derby day, but it wasn't our best team, or (I think) theirs.

whizzkid1982
-25th May 2004, 12:21
i think that the newcastle men's team would like another shot at durham men's team, since we managed to draw with them. would mean we could finish above them in the league as well as in the knockout!!!

Naimst
-25th May 2004, 22:16
You wouldn't finish above us!!!! Never...I won't let it happen!!!!!

I don't think that we would like a re-match against anyone in the girls team.....we only lost to Northumbria ...3 times!!!! So unfair!
:-(

randomsabreur
-27th May 2004, 16:02
I would have to say that Oxford and Cambridge had more than enough "rematches" last year and honours were even in the end with 2 BUSA wins to Oxford while Cambridge won varsity and 1 BUSA match. Would quite have liked to fence one of the Northern premier league teams at the finals, maybe they should split leagues for the final draw if that happens again! Is boring fencing the same people over and over again

Chris
-27th May 2004, 17:42
Just think what the Durham women's team will do to Northumbria next year though :D

Insipiens
-28th May 2004, 11:45
Originally posted by randomsabreur
I would have to say that Oxford and Cambridge had more than enough "rematches" last year and honours were even in the end with 2 BUSA wins to Oxford while Cambridge won varsity and 1 BUSA match. Would quite have liked to fence one of the Northern premier league teams at the finals, maybe they should split leagues for the final draw if that happens again! Is boring fencing the same people over and over again

But what does BUSA matter in relation to the Varsity match?
:upset:

randomsabreur
-28th May 2004, 14:20
I could only do BUSA and varsity 2nds, so obviously what I was doing is more important!!!

A rematch of varsity with Oxford allowed to field the full BUSA team would be interesting however!

Leonardofury
-28th May 2004, 23:23
I would have liked UMIST to actually fielded a team. We had 2 fencers on the team!

Shaolin Monkey
-5th June 2004, 12:37
Id like us to fence southampton again (i was merely a spectator), we won last time but it was a brilliant match to watch, at the end of the foil we were 45-12 down, (they were very flicky and were aided by a spool which we found to be broken only just before the end of the foil). In the Sabre we outclassed them winning 45-15 bringing the scores before the epee to 57 for Newcastle and 60 for southampton. An evenly match then took place in the epee and newcastle emerged victorious 102-100. Sheer brilliance to come from so far behind and win.:cool:

Jambo
-5th June 2004, 18:22
Originally posted by Shaolin Monkey
Sheer brilliance to come from so far behind and win.:cool:

That would be mine and Whizzkids sheer brilliance, now I just need an outrageous arrogance smiley...!

Shaolin Monkey
-5th June 2004, 23:06
Mike did well also

Jambo
-6th June 2004, 11:12
Very true, i was being sarcastic for the record.

Shaolin Monkey
-6th June 2004, 12:37
Was still a damn good match though

whizzkid1982
-7th June 2004, 17:56
i think we can leave out the sarcasm. we rocked!!!!

Shaolin Monkey
-7th June 2004, 18:03
Had the spool not been crap the margin of victory would have been far greater.

Dave Hillier
-8th June 2004, 11:11
or had our "good" epeeist woken up before the last fight ... or our good sabreurs not been in the philipines and france (I think that that was the second time that mark had picked up a sabre. ) ....

it was a good match though.

Shaolin Monkey
-9th June 2004, 11:01
Yes, he did look more confident with a foil, but whats he gonna do when they change the timings, virtually no flicking.

Dave Hillier
-9th June 2004, 13:12
win, but with direct attacks instead. He's lazy flicking if flicks work, when they don't he fences properly.

Shaolin Monkey
-9th June 2004, 15:20
Hey it gets him the points, our guys didnt have a clue how to counter flicks.

d30sj0
-16th June 2004, 14:31
newcastle rocked?

whizzkid1982
-17th June 2004, 10:36
yeah but mainly at Cuba Cuba!!!!