PDA

View Full Version : Bodywire fault

knightlore
-28th May 2004, 19:47
Hi,

I've got a short a possible short in a body wire. When the foil and lame are connected - I get an off target light when my foil making contact with my opponent's lame.

I've run a meter over the cable and haven't located anything visibly wrong. The foil is fine as I've tried it out with another bodywire with no problems.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

vicnikai
-28th May 2004, 21:55
you take your bodywire apart and fix it
what else?
http://www.leonpaul.com/shop/armoury_shop/foil_armoruy.htm

:grin:

gbm
-28th May 2004, 22:13
If you hit your opponent on-target, but you get an off-target light, unless the tip of your foil is exceptionally dirty, then it is their side that is faulty, not yours.

Saxon
-28th May 2004, 23:02
Originally posted by knightlore
Hi,

I've got a short a possible short in a body wire. When the foil and lame are connected - I get an off target light when my foil making contact with my opponent's lame.

I've run a meter over the cable and haven't located anything visibly wrong. The foil is fine as I've tried it out with another bodywire with no problems.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Another possibility is a break in the wire which goes to the foil. Even if the wire tests okay "at rest", it is possible that the act of making the hit causes the break, either by bending or stretching the wire.

Try hooking up to a test box, foil connected, then making all those weird jumping, wobbling and stabbing actions of which foilists are so fond. If the above is the problem, the light will come on without hitting anything. Alternatively, just stretch the wire by hand, in six inch sections, down its entire length. The light will come on, and you will be able to see the break through the insulation. Any fault is likely to be at the foil end, under or just past the insulating sleeve, or possibly down by the three-pin plug.

While I think about it, another possibility is the plug contacts - make sure they're nice and clean.

hth

sparkymark567
-29th May 2004, 00:39
If the foil is working normally and it's definitely the bodywire. Try putting the blade up against the lame and depress the tip. If this produces an on-target light, then the wires to the foil are connected the wrong way round. This is of course only likely if the bodywire is new or has been repaired.

symon
-29th May 2004, 11:06
as I'm no good with the technical stuff could it be a dead spot on the lame?????

knightlore
-29th May 2004, 12:04
Thanks to everyone for your advice on this issue. I'll give it a go next club night.

stevejackson
-30th May 2004, 08:37
Knightlore, You been trying to repair your own kit? If so it's possible the two wires to the foil are reversed. Easiest test for this I know, place your guard on the opponents lame, and press the tip. If you get a coloured light then you need to swap the wires over.

I spent ages trying to find this fault at a Southwest age group competition once. A certain coach had repaired all of one school's body wires backwards, we'd changed every thing including the box before I could convince them that their body wires were wrong. This doesn't just happen to beginners I had the same fault at the Eden Cup with a young but experienced fencer who wouldn't believe that the box was not faulty.

sparkymark567
-30th May 2004, 13:23
that's exactly what I just said. Arghhh, at this rate I'll end up an armourer.

knightlore
-16th June 2004, 19:59
As a follow up to the fault with the body wire - it was a case of the wires being reversed from the foil. - Swapped them round and hey presto all working.

Thank you everyone for the advice.