PDA

View Full Version : Tang too short, what should I do?

sparkymark567
-29th May 2004, 22:28
I have a band new blade but broke it at the tang by cross threading the hex nut. I've had the blade for over a year now but still havn't decided what to do with it. I don't really want to throw away 70 worth of blade.

The tang is now just a bit too short. There is now about 1/2 of one thread that reaches the hex nut. I use small handles and I don't want to make it any shorter than it is already. Is there any way that I can still use this blade. Has anyone else had this problem?

I could drill out the handle, but I don't think I can drill very deep before wrecking the handle. I could get someone to turn down a hexnut at one end, so I can drill deeper with a smaller diameter. Or I could cut the tang down further and weld an extra bit on the end, will this be strong enough?

or shall I just admit defeat, keep the barrel and tip and throw the rest away.

What do you think?

and if Steve Jackson is about he can probably remember when it happened. I managed to cross thread the nut and Steve provided the muscle to release (break) it, not that we had much choice. It was obviously my fault not his.

stevejackson
-30th May 2004, 08:18
Sorry Sparkymark, I don't remember this. Typical you remember glorious triumphs but not abject failure.

Remind me what type of blade this is. If it's a Leon Paul folded pattern then return it to them, since they can put a new tang on and on a newish blade this makes sense.

NOTE!!!! EVERYTHING AFTER THIS POINT REFERS TO REPAIRING A TANG. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD THIS OR ANY SIMILAR PROCESS BE ATTEMPTED ON A BLADE BETWEEN TIP AND GUARD. THROW THE BROKEN BITS AWAY. REPAIRS ARE NOT SAFE

I've threaten to weld tang extentions on but have no experience of doing so - I suspect that success would depend on the skill of the welder. On the other hand what have you got to loose? As a guess at the process, I'd set the blade first, then find a local welder, get them to cut the tang well below the portion of the tang that will take nut, and scarfe in a piece of 6 mm studding, left over long to give them something to work with. They will be able to tell you if the repair has a chance of working, and which method of welding has the best chance of success. Oh and as a final thought get them to wrap the forte in a wet cloth in case the heat travels.

As I said before I've never done this so your on your own, I don't see why the joint should fail and even if it does the resulting failure will be relatively safe, you'll probably notice the wobble before failure, and I suspect that if its going to fail the time it will do so is when you (or I ) tighten the handle up.

I need notice of the question as to whether the resulting blade is legal or not.

sparkymark567
-30th May 2004, 13:33
It's a BF foil blade.

O.K. So do you think the welding option is better than drilling the handle and turning down the hex nut.

If so, : I can get an extra piece of studding from another new blade (as it has to be cut down to a pistol grip). Does anybody here that knows me, also know a nice friendly welder :moon:

spirall333
-1st June 2004, 10:17
I do.

B

Barry Paul
-1st June 2004, 10:19
If it is a B.F. blade supplied by Leon Paul we no doubt can fix it. Re-thread 12/24 and supply an American nut or weld a new tang and or drill out the handle. If the blade was not supplied by us I am sure the original suppliers will be able to offer a similar level of support!!!!!!!

Barry Paul

uk_45
-1st June 2004, 10:36
Sp theres alot that can be done by the Pros

sparkymark567
-1st June 2004, 11:51
Originally posted by Barry Paul
If it is a B.F. blade supplied by Leon Paul we no doubt can fix it. Re-thread 12/24 and supply an American nut or weld a new tang and or drill out the handle. If the blade was not supplied by us I am sure the original suppliers will be able to offer a similar level of support!!!!!!!
Barry Paul

Doh! guess where it come from (the blade was bought over a year ago before I realised how great LP are (grovel)).
and I'm sure that the supplier can't provide the same level of support. But we already knew that.

Spiralll333 ;)

Barry Paul
-3rd June 2004, 07:20
As clearly you have seen the light (groveling does help) If you promise not to tell any one else, let me have the blade some time to fix. Barry Paul