PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone...

pincushion
-1st June 2004, 12:11
I'm very new to fencing and I've finally found something that I really love doing and will get me fit again.

I've practiced martial arts for 25 years (yes, I'm an old git), but sadly it has had to take a back seat 'cos of a bike accident. I badly damaged my left shoulder, but luckily I'm right handed so fencing is ideal!!!

Epee is my weapon of choice and it's amazing how similar all the footwork and techniques are to the martial art of Xingyiquan (rare Chinese stuff that no one has ever heard of!)

I live in Saddleworth (right next to the moor...) and fence at Ashton fencing club.

Look forward to chatting and sharing info with any/all of you guys.

Regards

Steve :)

uk_45
-1st June 2004, 12:15
Hi welcome to the mad house (tradtional forum greeting) You aint as old as you think in the scale of fencing.

Glad to hear you enjoying it

Rdb811
-1st June 2004, 12:17
There's a lot of late starters on here, so you'll be very welcome - lot's of interesting stuff on the variuous forums.

(Only one problem though - there is a ritual ofpeople posting 'welcom to the mad house' and "don't expect any sanity" - this isn't true, except in the Chit Caht sction and then a long rambling conversation will develop as sevral naughty boys try and uptheir post count.)

Rdb811
-1st June 2004, 12:17
He got there before me.

uk_45
-1st June 2004, 12:19
Originally posted by Rdb811
except in the Chit Caht sction and then a long rambling conversation will develop as sevral naughty boys try and uptheir post count.)

Chit chat posts don't sount any more and i remeber when you where goin for 2000 posts.

A acctually now belief that on this forum you really do get a smart answer to question quickly and that this much is great.

Emma T
-4th June 2004, 12:47
I'm a newbie too!

Just wanted to say hello! I have also discovered what a great sport fencing is, and much to my intial surprise great at keeping me fit! (I don't know why I thought it might not, think I just got the idea stuck in my head).

Have fun, and I hope to speak more with you on the boards.

Ulrika
-4th June 2004, 13:03
Hi and welcome to the board, both of you! :)

pincushion
-4th June 2004, 13:28
Thank you....:)

And hello again to everybody

Shaolin Monkey
-4th June 2004, 19:07
Hey Pincushion Im new too, I also go to Ashton FC. Am at Uni at the mo but will be back in a couple of weeks
See ya then

pincushion
-5th June 2004, 08:04
Great Stuff...see you when you get back but take it easy on me, I've got more spots (bruises) than a Leopard!!! :)

Shaolin Monkey
-5th June 2004, 11:39
Its alright I dont fight Epee often/ever so I expect to be beaten, my weapon of choice is sabre

symon
-5th June 2004, 12:17
hello's pincushion I see you've had the usual welcoming comitee :tongue:

TBennett
-5th June 2004, 12:58
Indeed they have....novelty.

Fencing Forum now has 893 members......goin well ;)

Shaolin Monkey
-5th June 2004, 15:36
Hey pincushion how about givin me a demo of this Xingyiquan when I get back sounds fun

symon
-5th June 2004, 23:31
Originally posted by Shaolin Monkey
Hey pincushion how about givin me a demo of this Xingyiquan when I get back sounds fun
someone care yo elaberate?????

pincushion
-6th June 2004, 10:37
Can do...it's a very dangerous Chinese martial art, about 1000 years old and still taught to Chinese Commandos now because of it's effectiveness!
It is based around 5 simple movements...designed to enable the practitioner to strike from any angle and deal with any type of attack effectively and at extremely high speed.

At one competition in China at the beginning of last century, the government at to stop the event because too many fighters from other traditions were being killed by the Xingyi Boxers!!!

They also practice Sabre! (For killing...not for sport!)

Check out
www.emptyflower.com/xingyiquan (http://www.emptyflower.com/xingyiquan)
if you want to know more...

:thumbs_up

Shaolin Monkey
-6th June 2004, 11:49
right you are then

gbm
-6th June 2004, 22:15
Welcome to the Mad House!

If you post a question here, you will get lots of helpful answers straight away. Admittedly threads tend to linger on slightly longer than neccessary, but it's all in the name of fun! And UK_45 passing Rdb811!

What is generally considered to be the most deadly martial art, anyway?

symon
-6th June 2004, 22:34
Originally posted by Shaolin Monkey
right you are then
I couldn't have said it better

Shaolin Monkey
-7th June 2004, 10:52
that said looks fun but seems to require a fair bit of dedication when the site has things like "practise this several hundred times a day" no wonder they are hard as nails... even if the videos are old.

pincushion
-7th June 2004, 12:19
Yep...Its a pretty amazing martial art but with very few real students as it is quite boring to look at and not at all "Van Damme".

Before my crash I would drill the forms a few hundred times a week...a veritible part-timer! Getting back into shape now - slowly but surely, but the amount of training I have done means I haven't forgot anything I was taught and I think it helped me avoid broken bones when the Dustbin Truck hit me and my bike! :)

Shaolin Monkey
-7th June 2004, 15:02
Dude that's hard-core, just wondering, I know of two epeeists at ashton are you the one with or without the moustache

pincushion
-7th June 2004, 17:27
No tash but I don't think you know me, I'm from Mossley...only been at it for 6 weeks. Lovin' every minute of it...even going to the AGM tonight! :)

Boo Boo
-7th June 2004, 18:03
Originally posted by pincushion
...even going to the AGM tonight! :)

Ah, that level fo extreme enthusiasm soon evaporates ;)

Welcome to the forum.

Boo

Shaolin Monkey
-7th June 2004, 18:05
Well my bro goes at the mo, youll probs know him, he has only been fencing for three months but is pretty good at sabre.

TheStabber
-30th June 2004, 15:35
I was also crashed into by a garbage vehical, right here in DŸssledorf, how crazy is this? But thankfully it got me into ferrets...:dizzy:

I have also visited Mossleyand got very drunkle during the brass band compettion...:party:

pincushion
-1st July 2004, 07:45
Originally posted by TheStabber
I was also crashed into by a garbage vehical, right here in DŸssledorf, how crazy is this? But thankfully it got me into ferrets...:dizzy:

I have also visited Mossleyand got very drunkle during the brass band compettion...:party:

FERRETS ?:confused:

You Germans are Bonkers!!! Next time you're up for the Band Comp, PM or email me and we'll do some fencing and then get drunk together.

It'll have to be next year as we've just missed this years so hopefully see you then...

PS: DON'T CRASH YOUR FERRET! :tongue:

TheStabber
-1st July 2004, 14:35
Ja, Sicher.

I would love to come visit the very lovely mossley again, this time maybe I try to stay sober for my duration, I do not recall much about lasts times apart from fighting with big bearded shopkeeper, He disrespected my ferrets man. As you may have guessed I love ferrets, so thankyou again Mr Ambulance Doctor...

Keep on Rocking English man,

:cheers2:

Rdb811
-1st July 2004, 14:38
I suppose a brass band is heavy metal of sorts.

pincushion
-2nd July 2004, 07:49
Don't give him any encouragment...He might bring his ferrets with him! :tongue:

Insipiens
-2nd July 2004, 10:11
Do you need a passport to get ferrets into the country without quarantine periods?

Rdb811
-2nd July 2004, 10:27
No, you just squirral them away in your baggage.

pincushion
-2nd July 2004, 12:51
Just smuggle them in down your trousers like any real ferret fancier...:tongue:

TheStabber
-8th July 2004, 12:44
DO NOT RUDICULE my ferret friends, they have brought to me comfort whilst recovering from my disposal vehical mishappenings... Me and my ferret chums have won many awards, especially little "Jurgen" at the 2001 Hockenhiem ferret championship...:moon:

Saxon
-8th July 2004, 12:47
Just make sure you wear your bicycle clips and do up your belt...

TheStabber
-8th July 2004, 12:55
They would then suffocate you nasty piece of flamin work...

Ulrika
-8th July 2004, 15:10
Are you sure you're from Düsseldorf..?

pincushion
-8th July 2004, 17:25
DO NOT RUDICULE my ferret friends, they have brought to me comfort whilst recovering from my disposal vehical mishappenings... Me and my ferret chums have won many awards, especially little "Jurgen" at the 2001 Hockenhiem ferret championship...:moon:

Do you have any human friends? :)

pincushion
-8th July 2004, 17:31
I thought I'd change my avatar to make you feel happier...:)

TheStabber
-9th July 2004, 12:56
I am liking your ferret Picture very much, I think his name could be sammy...Is it Sammy?:confused:

pincushion
-10th July 2004, 14:37
I am liking your ferret Picture very much, I think his name could be sammy...Is it Sammy?:confused:

It was...

Until I used him as a moving lunge pad! ;)

Now he's called Shammy (Chamois)...LOL

TheStabber
-12th July 2004, 08:09
You flaming Swine...you be good to the furry little friend...:mad:

Shaolin Monkey
-11th October 2004, 16:35
Originally posted by pincushion
It was...

Until I used him as a moving lunge pad! ;)

Now he's called Shammy (Chamois)...LOL #

Oh so that's what your epee point cover used to be.