PDA

View Full Version : How do you get to fence in the Olympics

3 Card Trick
-9th April 2003, 21:30
Can anyone explain to me how you actually qualify for the Olympics if you are not Greek this time round?:grin:

Barry Paul
-10th April 2003, 07:40
If you are a GB fencer best hope is the invention of time travel then go back in time. All you had to do to in the past to get to the Olympics was get into the GB team.

wingnutLP
-10th April 2003, 11:55
Do you know what the actual answer is?

Presumably it is based on world rankings?

3 Card Trick
-10th April 2003, 12:38
Does anyone "know" the answer?

"I have nothing to declare except my genius" Oscar Wilde

kingkenny
-10th April 2003, 13:07
I have e-mailed Graham he will know:cool:

Cyranox11
-22nd April 2003, 13:38
OK, its a bit complicated, but here goes:

Events with a team competition (ie MF, ME, MS, LE)

Top 4 teams on the Adjusted FIE World TEAM Ranking
+1 team per continental Zone: Europe/Africa/Americas/Asia-Oceania (top ranked team on the FIE Rankings from each zone)
= 8 teams = 24 Fencers (3 per team)
+7 top ranked fencers on the Adjusted FIE World Individual Ranking by ZONE (2 Europe, 2 Asia-Oceania, 2 Americs, 1 Africa)
+5 fencers determined by the ZONAL qualifying competition (2 Europe, 1 Asia-Oceania, 1 America, 1 Africa)
TOTAL 36 fencers
The 8 teams get to fence in the team competition (I presume they can bring a reserve for the team event s/he will not be elligible for the individual event), all 36 fencers fence in the individual competition.

No country may qualify more than 3 fencers and qualification through the individual ranking lists is ONLY for countries NOT competing in team events.

Events WITHOUT Teams (ie LF, LS)

Top 8 on FIE World Ranking (max 2 per country)
Top 8 on Adjusted FIE World Ranking by continent (3 Europe, 2 Asia-Oceania, 2 Americas, 1 Africa)
8 from zonal qualification: 3 Europe, 2 Asia-Oceania, 2 Americas, 1 Africa.
TOTAL 24 fencers

No country may qualify more than 3 fencers per weapon.

Hope that helps...