PDA

View Full Version : Stop hit or Parry ?

Beaker
-6th July 2004, 20:31
Like the subject says,

Do you prefer a stop hit or a parry ??

Just a little question I've thrown in to direct attention away from certain people using this forum as an I Hate Epee notice board

Rdb811
-6th July 2004, 20:35
I'm a stop hit counter-attack type man myself.

pincushion
-6th July 2004, 20:48
I favour the "Direct, stop em in their tracks and make em think twice" kinda hit, although I also get a great sense of acheivement when I make a food parry...especially if it is followed by a sucessful hit (very rare!!!). :)

Beaker
-6th July 2004, 21:48
There is something immensely satisfying about stop hits though. Every time you opponent initiates an attack, you reply with a successful ( hopefully ) point gained around his/her wrist or lower arm. You can agitate your opponent and force them into making wild attacks that are even easier to counter.
My personal favourite is a stop hit to the mask with rassemblement, as a way of stunning you opponent early on in a bout, as a way of establishing dominance.

It can be quite off-putting to a non experienced epee'ist.

reposte
-6th July 2004, 23:24
I'm a huge fan of the stop hit in foil.
I think it's a real combat - knowledgable trait of a fencing discipline.

Rhubarb
-7th July 2004, 07:39
The general rule of thumb goes something like "if its going to hit you---PARRY, if it isn't(short or badly constructed attack)--STOP-HIT! All the really good modern epeeists eschew the trend of double hits, the idea behind this weapon is still 'hit without being hit' and an element of discrimination regarding what you do in answer to actions from your opponent is the key to success.(imho).

vil
-7th July 2004, 07:57
As a recently converted foilist, I still tend to go for parry & riposte when I should be stop hitting. I'm gradually getting better at picking the right one for the job.

I think sometimes I've benefitted, when my opponent trys to draw a stop hit and it never comes because I'm waiting to parry - it foils their plans (pun intended - sorry).

madfencer
-8th July 2004, 12:21
stop hits (coz sumtimes if im lucky i can do em resonably well!!!).

uk_45
-8th July 2004, 15:12
Ok i'm a sabrur but i like the following: stop hit-parry-riposte

dunastor
-8th July 2004, 15:49
Right.

Why do only one of them when you can do both? :grin:

haggis
-8th July 2004, 16:40
As a converted foilist, my first reaction is still to parry but have become more discriminating. As Rhubarb suggests, sticking your arm out and hoping for the best, isn't really a good platform for a successful epee career.

Prometheus
-8th July 2004, 23:38
Originally posted by haggis
As a converted foilist, my first reaction is still to parry but have become more discriminating. As Rhubarb suggests, sticking your arm out and hoping for the best, isn't really a good platform for a successful epee career.

Unlike most British epeeists then?:rolleyes:

Sorry, this is the foil part of the forum isn't it?:confused:

Epeecurean
-9th July 2004, 08:34
Epee is often called the art form of sticking out your arm at an incovenient time. Being really good at it CAN make you a decent epeeist (more so than if you relied instead just on parry-ripostes), but to get to the highest levels you really need both.

Tactically, they really compliment each other. For instance, if someone is probing you with false attacks you can likewise falsely signal parry-riposte. This sets them up to do a compound action in their real attack which you will be ready to counter with a stop-hit. Or you can signal counter-attack and then execute a parry-riposte on their direct attack.

haggis
-9th July 2004, 09:33
Originally posted by Epeecurean
Epee is often called the art form of sticking out your arm at an incovenient time. Being really good at it CAN make you a decent epeeist (more so than if you relied instead just on parry-ripostes), but to get to the highest levels you really need both.

A difference, I believe, between sticking your arm out and hoping for the best (British method) and sticking out your arm at an inconvenient time (French method, let's say). Alternatively you could go for Hungarian, Russian or German methods that heavily emphasise parries.

The kind of tactical scenario you set out would (sadly) be a mystery to a lot of epeeists with GBR on their backs.

Regards

Haggis

Chris Morgan
-16th July 2004, 18:16
I like to go for the stop hit with a good angulation, then dart back and parry-carte or prime, its a fail-safe tht works sometimes but sometimes you can be caughtout on the withdrawel or they hit you on the angulated stop-hit,

Duck stop hits anyone?

Twohat
-16th July 2004, 19:40
I'm just an ignorant novice - so what I do is try and defend and avoid getting hit, and sometimes my opponent manages to catch my blade with his arm while I'm doing this. Is this a stop-hit? If so, it seems to be the only thing which works for me (unless I am fencing an even more ignorant more novicey person [a rare pleasure], in which case lunging at any bit of them seems to work)

I guess I'll get better at it if I practice a lot . . .

pinkelephant
-17th July 2004, 07:12
Coming from a foil background, I tend to parry quite a lot - and that includes counter-ripostes. On the other hand, if someone is daft enough to hurl themselves at me with a bent arm, the old attack on the preparation instinct takes over.

glowstix
-23rd July 2004, 18:56
Originally posted by Beaker

Do you prefer a stop hit or a parry ??

both...depends on the situation.

stevejackson
-25th July 2004, 09:27
Bearing in mind this is an epee thread, don't loose track of the time thrust, (OK the rule book changed the term to stop hit with opposition ) which combines both actions in one move.

jamesthornton
-25th July 2004, 14:28
It also tends to depend on whether you pommel or not if you look at a lot of the top pommelers in the world they will prefer to go for a stop hit and only parry as a last resort because of being harder to over power your oponent when pommeling. it will also depend on the type of fencer you are fencing. stop hitting a stop hitter is pointless unless you are much better as you will get loads of doubles. you have to change your tactics for every fight otherwise you will think your doin realy well with the one move and then find you cant get a hit. i have quite a lot of experience of that.:fencingsm

Aidyboy
-22nd August 2004, 15:58
I'm not a particularly experienced epeeist, however I was taught that a stop hit is useful in certain situations but not every situation. For example, if I was in a bout to 5 and I was down 4-2 I'd faver a parret-riposte over a stop hit due to the increased exposure of the forward target given by a stop hit, and a double hit would not be atall advantage to me in this instance.

On the other hand if the situation was reversed and I was leading 4-2, obviously a stop hit would give me victory, I would opt for the stop hit.

telkanuru
-4th November 2004, 02:13
A (very good) coach in my area gives the following as his first lesson for semi-experienced students:

1) if the attack is to your six, parry in six/counter six.

2) if the attack is anywhere else, stop hit.

This is an excellent basic defense system, and a general rule for parries vs. stop hits.

Ulrika
-4th November 2004, 08:20
Depends on the situation.
I'm generally lousy at parrying but I'm quite good at making stop hits. A stop hit to my opponents wrist is actually one of my specialties! :)

Caza
-8th November 2004, 16:39
I adore a foil stop hit. But i do not use it much. I usually use a beat, or a stamp of my foot in either foil or epee. then i begin my attack.

Caza

Rhubarb
-9th November 2004, 08:44
BASIC FENCING RULE N0.1

Parry the attacks which are likely to hit you. Stop hit/counter attack the rest. Watch ALL the top fencers and you'll notice this is the basic game they all play.

iron maiden fan
-6th December 2004, 12:06
did an amazing stop hit in club last week..

guy flehes at me from other side of piste,
me crouch and stick out my arm only to cacth him in the groin and have him screaming on the floor.

another hilarious incident that day. josh and ian (two social members at my club) fencing electric epee.

ian attacks josh and thinks he's scored, but the light does not flash. ian sits there box-watching. josh rightly takes the chance of an easy hit while ians attention is elsewhere.....runs straight onto ians outstretched sword. ian scores the flukiest stop hit ever.

Muppet
-6th December 2004, 15:37
As an ex-foilist, with pistol grip a large parry, but when using a dildo, oops sorry, pommel, stop hits...

(note to self; stop thinking out loud)

Rdb811
-7th December 2004, 00:28
Originally posted by Rhubarb
BASIC FENCING RULE N0.1

Parry the attacks which are likely to hit you. Stop hit/counter attack the rest. Watch ALL the top fencers and you'll notice this is the basic game they all play.

Actaully Rule 1 is "If you can't make fencing, always make sure you make the pub".