PDA

View Full Version : BBC Coverage of Fencing at the Olympic Games

GrahamWatts
-8th July 2004, 16:59
I have just returned from the launch of the BBC's coverage of the Olympics and Paralympics.

BBC 1 and 2 are planning 250 hours of coverage of the Games plus over 1,000 hours via their digital interactive packages. Viewers with digital TV can access four additional streams of coverage. There will also be 180 hours live coverage on Radio Five.

In addition broadband users can access Olympic coverage over the internet including live "simulcast" coverage of each of the BBC's 5 streams. This means that the BBC will be covering up to five sports simultaneously on digital TV (when broadcasting) and internet.

On terrestial TV the main programmes will be Olympic Grandstand 7.00 am to 12.30 with Hazel Irvine and Steve Cram; Olympic Report 12.30 to 1.00 pm also with Irvine and Cram; Olympic Grandstand again from 1.40pm to 5.00 pm with either Clare Balding or Craig Doyle; Olympic Report 5.00 pm to 6.00 pm with Steve Rider and Sue Barker; and they carry on with Olympic Grandstand from 6.00 pm to 10.30 pm; finishing off with Olympics Today with Balding and Doyle from 10.35 pm to midnight. So basically wall-to-wall coverage!

The only problem is that they don't have any specific plans to cover any fencing at the moment and, in fact, haven't even identified a commentator for fencing in the information given out although they have for most other sports, including several in which there is no British representation. We are taking this up with them!

Obviously, when Richard and Louise break through into the later rounds they will have no option but to cover it! I expect that the earlier rounds will be streamed on the internet (bbc.co.uk/olympics).

For those of you who have not looked it up yet. Richard Kruse fences on 16 August and Louise Bond-Williams fences on 17 August.

I hope that this is helpful information and that the GB readers of the FF will be rooting for them both!

Regards

Graham Watts
International Manager

Biggles
-8th July 2004, 17:05
Petition at the check-in desk at the Nationals, anyone?? Couple hundred signatures sent to the BBC might get their attention...maybe.

Worth a try I would think.

uk_45
-8th July 2004, 17:27
Can any one think of a ex professional fencer on the bbc's payroll that was given the chance to compete at olypmic level

..........................Any one..........................Any one at all??

Oh yess i can Bruce Dickinson!

haggis
-8th July 2004, 19:02
uk_45

I think you need to get your information about Bruce Dickinson checked - he was nowhere near Olympic level.

Regards

Haggis

Biggles
-8th July 2004, 19:22
Originally posted by haggis
I think you need to get your information about Bruce Dickinson checked - he was nowhere near Olympic level.

Not in fencing, anyway...... ;)

uk_45
-8th July 2004, 20:23
I'm sure ive read it some where give us a sec.

Ok here we go main

Taken from Iron Maiden.Com

He got into his fencing, which I completely admired about him, because he’s superfit now, but he doesn’t work out half as much as he used to. He was such a good fencer, he was actually asked to join the Olympic fencing team in the mid-to-late Eighties, but he couldn’t because he had to go on the road with the band.

Also if you search bruce dickinson fencing you will get alot of articles

Who was president of BFA back then.

haggis
-8th July 2004, 20:29
Bruce Dickinson asked to join the British Olympic fencing team:rolling: - maybe for a beer? I think this is known as mythologising

President of the BFA (or Amateur Fencing Associatio as it was then) at that time was probably Nick Halstead.

gbm
-8th July 2004, 21:04
The BBC now have a section of their site devoted to the fencing at the Olympics!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics_2004/fencing/default.stm

gbm
-8th July 2004, 21:10
A quote from one of the articles:

"Electronic equipment and hi-tech protective clothing are now vital parts of the sport, which requires lightning reflexes and a great deal of tactical nous."

Nous?

gbm
-8th July 2004, 21:19
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics_2004/schedule/default.stm

This page shows that the highlight for the 15th August is the Women's Individual Epee.

vil
-8th July 2004, 21:57
Originally posted by goodbadandme
Nous?

Nous. (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=nous)

Prometheus
-9th July 2004, 11:35
Originally posted by Rdb811
Er, not really - more a question of cultural attitudes and tax system.

(and what you've suggested are not mutually exclusive options, or what we've got, but I don't want to start a debate).

I agree, cultural. Our system of social democracy is a result of our culture. I was trying to point out that if you want the American system of collegiate sport you would probably have to sacrifice a lot of things we accept as being part of being British. I, for one, am not sure I want that.

Robert
-9th July 2004, 17:39
Originally posted by goodbadandme
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics_2004/schedule/default.stm

This page shows that the highlight for the 15th August is the Women's Individual Epee.

Can someone explain to me why they have picked 'Women's Individual Epee' as their highlight??

Robert

Prometheus
-9th July 2004, 17:56
Slow enough for the viewing public?

Rdb811
-9th July 2004, 18:42
Scenic ?

(Hasn't women's tennis improved lately).;)

PM1
-11th July 2004, 22:29
Thanks Neil, very interesting.

Gav - can this go elsewhere, like the University section thingy, or can we start a funding thread/section?? Might be a bit lost here.

Rdb811
-14th July 2004, 00:10
http://newssearch.bbc.co.uk/sportacademy/hi/sa/special_events/newsid_3856000/3856669.stm

Nice pic, shame about the content of the page.

Robert
-14th July 2004, 06:28
Not very impressed with that. They show a picture of table tennis and fencing, and then no links to either.

Robert

Gav
-14th July 2004, 09:19
Gav - can this go elsewhere, like the University section thingy, or can we start a funding thread/section?? Might be a bit lost here.

I've overlooked this thread myself! Hmm... This thread is appropriate here with regard to the Olympics but has now moved onto funding. What I will do is split off the funding posts and create a thread in Off piste.

Guys,

Try to use this section to dicuss the fencing [and results] of the Olympic fencing tournament.

use the Off piste one for rants about funding.

I think that will give us 2 really good discussions!

PS. Does anyone know if Eurosport will be covering the Fencing?

Gav
-14th July 2004, 09:26
You can find the new funding discussion here (http://fencingforum.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2508)

PM1
-14th July 2004, 17:56
thank you :)

marg
-15th July 2004, 23:28
[QUOTE]Originally posted by uk_45
[B]Can any one think of a ex professional fencer on the bbc's payroll that was given the chance to compete at olypmic level

..........................Any one..........................Any one at all??

Yes!
Hilary Philbin. Fenced foil in the olympic team and is still fencing great foil at Veteran level and winning medals........and works for the BBC!
Getting sky TV installed tomorrow so I'll be ready!

GrahamWatts
-16th July 2004, 15:04
I have now had a formal response from the BBC saying that they will have a correspondent based on the south coast (Glyfada) ready, willing and able to cover the fencing and they will be keeping a close eye on Louise and Richard's progress.

Graham

J_D
-20th July 2004, 12:24
Browsing Ebay (again!) found someone selling tickets for the finals if anyone is interested:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=58742&item=2257968272&rd=1

Biggles
-20th July 2004, 12:58
Originally posted by J_D
Browsing Ebay (again!) found someone selling tickets for the finals if anyone is interested:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=58742&item=2257968272&rd=1

That's Women's Individual Sabre (men's epee also) which is Louise's event. I got the same type tickets a week ago on ebay but for 30 pounds less. Based on some other fencing tickets I've seen posted on eBay recently he's probably going to have a tough time moving them at 45 unless someone from here is really keen.

Insipiens
-4th August 2004, 10:10
The BBC is currently advertising its Interactive coverage of the games with the fact that you can choose which sport to watch if you are a digital customer. I presume this does not extend to the fencing given Graham's comment above?

Gav
-6th August 2004, 08:52
I've just come across this (http://www.fencing101.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12255) on fencing net. Although I'm not sure which channel they are talking about (I presume NBC as I think they are doing the Olympic coverage) but a commentator has been announced. According to the into she is an ex american team fencer. It shows that, in the US, they are taking Fencing a bit more seriously.

Naughty foilist
-6th August 2004, 11:06
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gav
PS. Does anyone know if Eurosport will be covering the Fencing?

They appear to be, but last time I looked, it was tucked away at quarter past midnight.

Better set the video.

colliebeast
-6th August 2004, 11:12
Listening to Chris Moyles this morning

His sports woman (who also does 5live) is covering Sailing and FENCING at the Olympics.

So it looks like we might get some coverage although I suspect it might be slightly derogatory but fun never the less!

Woo woo!

colliebeast
-14th August 2004, 16:19
Not to sound sceptical in any way...

Actually to sound very sceptical....

having watched the BBC coverage for most of today I would like to note that I have now seen at least 3 different sessions of beach volleyball and oddly enough they have all been of the womens competitions...

there was even a somewhat sheepish announcement that GB didn't exactly have anyone competing in this event, but oh well...

So i think basically the way forward for fencing (if we ever hope to get any coverage) is to wear as little as possible, in fact it would help greatly if our governing body put a restricting on the size of our clothing

Ok bitter rant over!

:) :) :)

nessyfencer
-14th August 2004, 18:01
I am really dissapointed by what the bbc are listing as to what they are showing on the olympics, all the interesting sports you need digital tv or broadband to watch, which everyone don't have, and no fencing??? that is shocking!!! Some sports are very boring to watch on tv, i think fencing is one of the more exciting sports to watch, agree?

And has anyone else tried watching over broadband? I did today and its poor, very poor quality and not quick enough to see whats goin on properly, tried watching the table tennis and could not even see the ball. And thats over 1k modem. So has any1 been getting it any better? If so maybe im doin summin wrong?

Andy
-15th August 2004, 02:18
Originally posted by colliebeast
Not to sound sceptical in any way...

Actually to sound very sceptical....

having watched the BBC coverage for most of today I would like to note that I have now seen at least 3 different sessions of beach volleyball and oddly enough they have all been of the womens competitions...

there was even a somewhat sheepish announcement that GB didn't exactly have anyone competing in this event, but oh well...

So i think basically the way forward for fencing (if we ever hope to get any coverage) is to wear as little as possible, in fact it would help greatly if our governing body put a restricting on the size of our clothing

Ok bitter rant over!

:) :) :)

I'm a little disappointed that I missed the coverage of the beach volleyball now that you mention it. :)

A.

doobarz
-15th August 2004, 09:38
Originally posted by colliebeast

I have freeview box, so could see some of the interactive stuff, including the 'Daily Round Up'. didn't see on fencing on this either, but did see the GBR Judo man losing. Lots.

colliebeast
-15th August 2004, 11:19
Originally posted by nessyfencer

And has anyone else tried watching over broadband? I did today and its poor, very poor quality and not quick enough to see whats goin on properly, tried watching the table tennis and could not even see the ball. And thats over 1k modem. So has any1 been getting it any better? If so maybe im doin summin wrong?

i don't think your doing anything wrong i tried watching it yesterday and it was really poor quality...

even if there was fencing on i doubt we would see anything... :(

PM1
-15th August 2004, 11:36
Boy and his dad watched the fencing on Euro thingy last night - I slept. I had seen several snippets of the last 2 hits during the evening on Euro news, so it looks as if that's what it has to be. And boy was complaining about the commentator again....even tho' I told him he'd only be seeing what we were seeing. Boy sed he got things wrong, and his style of commentating was annoying (would start to say something and then go off on a tangent)......I didn't hear any of it (zzzzz):( :(

uk_45
-15th August 2004, 11:42
PM1 don;t spose you happeened to video it did you?

(or any one else for that matter?)

colliebeast
-15th August 2004, 11:43
Originally posted by PM1
And boy was complaining about the commentator again....even tho' I told him he'd only be seeing what we were seeing. Boy sed he got things wrong, and his style of commentating was annoying (would start to say something and then go off on a tangent)......I didn't hear any of it (zzzzz):( :(

he totally right! if i have to hear "sabre: its the cut and thrust weapon" one more time .... grrrrrrrrrrrr

and endlessly starting a sentence then not finishing it.... grrrrrrr

If you weren't a fencer you would have no idea what was going on! If you listened to the commentry it came across as boring and confused... i was really disapointed!

why not get someone like James Williams who could commentate with really passion and understanding!! he could really draw in viewers!

natsgrant
-15th August 2004, 19:14
For good fencing on TV...

Move to Budapest.

The semis and the finals are on live on MTV (Hungarian). Okay, I have NO idea what the commentator is saying, but who cares? I can give my own.

I tried staying up to watch the MS highlights on Eurosport last night. I fell asleep to Arturo counting the 'real' score. Glad that I'd seen it live earlier.

I have no idea how we can make it like this in the UK.

natsgrant
-15th August 2004, 19:18
To be fair though, we can't expect that much from the BBC if they put this up on their site about fencing. Spot the mistakes:

http://newssearch.bbc.co.uk/sportacademy/hi/sa/special_events/newsid_3667000/3667359.stm

Thanks K for the link!

Marky Irish
-16th August 2004, 00:54
I completely disagree and think James Chambers is one of the best commentators in the world of sport. He is right up there in the class of Richie Benaud and Peter Alliss. He is intelligent and has a vast knowledge of the sport.

Compare him with Sally Gunnell or Peter Schmichael or Ian Wright who commentate/summarise for other sports.

James Chambers has to explain about the weapons and target areas to cater for the 99.75% of the UK population who may be tuning in and dont know anything about fencing. Channel 4 cricket call it "jargon busting"

Often he is not actually live in the fencing arena but is commentating from a TV screen.

If anyone thinks commentating is easy they should give it a go themselves. Turn the volume down and see how ling you can go without hmm-ing or haaa-ing.

As for James calling the hits incorrectly, in the Sabre it is a bit of a lottery which way the hit goes and I think the 0.25% of the UK population who ARE fencers would struggle to call it. I know I do!

I think efforts should be made to email and phone the BBC to get fencing on there. Other minority sports are getting a lot of coverage. Who knows if the Beeb decide to show it it could be Richard in the final and even......"and now over to Ian Wright in the studio to get his thoughts"

Tubby
-16th August 2004, 01:00
Eurosport had coverage on the women's individual epee semi, bronze fight and final last night (11:15pm-12:00midnight). The commentator was rubbish. Anyway he said that their next coverage would be on Thursday, but the announced schedules have been known to be wrong before.

Marky Irish
-16th August 2004, 01:04
Speaking of tangents, no one goes on as many as Peter Alliss yet he is revered.

And when we think of blunders on air, two of Murray Walkers greatest include

"Andrea de Cesaris...the man who has won more Grands Prix than anyone else without actually winning one of them"

"Mansell is slowing it down, taking it easy. Oh no he isn't! It's a lap record."

uk_45
-16th August 2004, 10:36
He is a poor commentator some of what he says was wrong. I did like in the play off "She is now signing the POOL sheet"

uk_45
-16th August 2004, 10:43
OK barry is down in athens i believe. He should do the commentry!

sirius1
-16th August 2004, 10:44
I believe British Eurosport are scheduled to show some mens foil at 12.15am tonight - hope this helps for anyone who wants to see it.:)

uk_45
-16th August 2004, 10:47
It was said last night they arnt shwoing it any more but is kruse makes L4 they may!

clockity
-16th August 2004, 11:05
British Eurosport's website doesn't show fencing at 12:15am tonight anymore. It now shows diving :( The next fencing coverage seems to be Thursday at 9:30pm.

hokers
-16th August 2004, 11:10
I stand by my ealier comment, Chambers should be banned from commentating. Can't believe last night he said something very similar to "And the clock there, is showing the time counting down"
No kidding. Way to enhance the viewing experience.

Insipiens
-16th August 2004, 11:12
From what others have said, that sounds like the best of his commentary.

Prometheus
-16th August 2004, 11:44
Originally posted by clockity
British Eurosport's website doesn't show fencing at 12:15am tonight anymore. It now shows diving :( The next fencing coverage seems to be Thursday at 9:30pm.

Yes, actually 12:10am, but it still says fencing in the title and also the same is said on the German language site so it's not just British Eurosport (which I think is just the language it broadcasts in?). The diving/swimming maybe a typo?

Prometheus
-16th August 2004, 11:50
hmmm, maybe not - when you compare the various national sites there are a number showing fencing and some not (France for instance). Reliable? I think not....

natsgrant
-16th August 2004, 12:12
I think Marky Irish is right and we should be contacting Eurosport to ask for more coverage.

As a minority sport, we have to demand our wee bit of limelight. I've spent the weekend watching sports about which I have the square root of zero idea. I don't know how points are given or anything, but I'm still watching it.

I also agree that commentating isn't easy and the guy is more than likely doing the best he can. If you really think he's tripe, tell his boss and give some constructive crit. Then offer to be paid to do it. That's the only way to make a difference.

Well done Richard! L8!

Hassan
-16th August 2004, 12:12
In the Golubitsky Golden Bouts video, the first final is from the Worlds in South Africa. The commentator is not James Chambers, but a very competent chap with what I think is a Lancashire accent (might be wrong here). He commentates well and manages to convey a sense of the excitement of the bout. Anybody know who he is?

Also. I know this is not exactly the right thread, but very very well done to Richard - and it's scandalous that at the time of writing, the BBC, on air or online, have still to even mention his performance.

uk_45
-16th August 2004, 13:22
James Chambers also only seems to know 4 real moves:
Parry, Riposte, stop hit(or stop as he says) and "fleshe the arrow attack"! I saw him describe at least 3 disengages as just going under the blade or twiddles, would have been fine if he had said this is a disengage.

stephends
-16th August 2004, 14:00
Have to say he was quite poor, 14-14 in the olympic final at womens epee (epee of course being the best and most exciting of the three weapons:) ) moment of tension and excitment and his voice had the tone of someone commentating on paint drying.

So who would anyone suggest as a better commentator?

Interesting fact Mr. Chambers came out with in the mens sabre apparently 1/2% of people in the UK have fenced, that's about 108,000 not bad really.

The ideal way to get people watching and the BBC showing Olympic fencing, obvious create an Irish (oh ok s/he can be english then I suppose) olympic champion.

Either that or the new see through inside guard pads LP are making could be turned in to jackets for the womens events, suddenly I can see channel 5 showing alot of late night fencing ;)

stephends
-16th August 2004, 14:03
Oh oh or more gambling on fencing. Take an awsomely exciting sport that fencing is and add the fact you can win money. If people were bettin' on it it would have to get on TV.

Someone get on to Ladbrokes or paddy power there and make it happen.....

tigger
-16th August 2004, 15:01
I completely disagree and think James Chambers is one of the best commentators in the world of sport. He is right up there in the class of Richie Benaud and Peter Alliss. He is intelligent and has a vast knowledge of the sport.

When I first read this I truly thought markyirish was being ironic. But I don't think he is....I wish we could have the James Chambers marky's listening to. Must be awesome compared to the c**p that the rest of us have to put up with...

It's not a question of 'if it's so easy why don't you do it' - This guy is being paid for god's sake! If we criticise a film-maker or musician or chef, the response isn't 'well do it better yourself then'. What we need is a commentator who's exciting to listen to who doesn't neceassrily know much about the sport, and an expert on the sideline interjecting KNOWLEDGABLE comments. And most of the hits in the sabre were very clear!

Flatline
-17th August 2004, 07:59
Caught the BBC coverage of the fencing yesterday.

About six points across the final two of Kruse's bouts, then two points of the mens sabre final (starting 13-13 and 14-14). More time was given over to the Australian post-match commentary than the actual fencing.

Considering the actual bouts last at most 11 minutes it's good to see that a final eight fencer got almost two minutes of airtime.

Insipiens
-17th August 2004, 08:46
Apparently French tv has a former olympic champion (epeist I believe) providing some of the commentary. and who do Europsort use for their non-English commentary.

I bet you could find somebody with knowledge who (with a little preparation) could do as well as James Chambers and would be happy to do it for free if their expenses were covered!

Rdb811
-17th August 2004, 21:45
As I've posted as naseum there is a professional horse racing commentator (Derby, King George) who was a fencing coach.

doobarz
-17th August 2004, 22:17
Have just found a short clip of Louise from today on BBC website, in the Olympics/ Fencing section.

Marcos
-18th August 2004, 07:51
not just Chambers in fairness

borrowed a copy of the Fencing.net DVD of the Havana sabre final and you have some hispanic guy commentating who is almost as bad.

has the BBC done one a "quick guide to fencing" similar to what they have shown for a few of the sports..? they are pretty good.

there have been threads before as to who should do the commentating, with suggestions ranging from Bruce Dickenson to Angelina Jolie...my pick would be Pierre Harper!

overpaid
-18th August 2004, 12:25
I think Chambers is very good - you have to take into account that:

1) he's commentary is based on what he see on a tv screen in drury lane
2) he can't see the boxes any better than you can
3) he cant see the referee at all
4) he has no idea what the editors going to show next
4) he's not allowed to use any fencing terminology (for hopefully obvious reasons)

Under these circumstances i'd be interested to know why anyone else thinks they could do better.

ChubbyHubby
-18th August 2004, 12:57
"James Chambers is doing a good job (with the tools he is provided)" may be a true statement.

But you can't overlook the fact that "Commentary provided by James Chambers is crap" is also (more importantly) true!

Whether it is his fault or not is not the point, it is still crap!

People on the forum are complaining that "Commentary provided by James Chambers on Eurosport is crap" and think it should be improved.

AussieSabreur
-18th August 2004, 13:09
Originally posted by overpaid

Under these circumstances i'd be interested to know why anyone else thinks they could do better.

A few things I think could be done better:

1) He could try sounding at least a little enthusiastic about what he is seeing. Sounded like he was bored to tears a couple of times during the men's sabre final.

2) He could try keeping track of the score. If he doesn't know which way the next point will go, be quiet for a second or enthuse on the action while waiting for it to be updated on the screen. He makes it sound like the scoring is such a mystery no one can understand it and the referee is probably making it up.

3) He could finish his sentences and explanations. Fair enough that sometimes you have to abandon them to report on the current action, but so often he just trailed away into silence... like it's all too much effort.

4) He could try not sounding like he's apologising for the sport all the time. How many times do I have to hear apogetically say sabre is very fast? Maybe he means to apologise for his obvious difficulty in following the action, but it comes across badly. I'd rather he just burbled about how exciting it all is and not bother about details he can't figure out.

4) I don't see why basic terminolgy can't be used with explanation. I've never met anyone how couldn't understand what a parry way once I told them it was blocking an attack. In fact I think he did this, so thumbs up for that one. Similarly you can describe most actions without resorting to complex terminolgy.
I don't actually mind the way he was describing actions - some huge inaccuracies but if it weren't for the previous points it wouldn't bother me. (I'm a sabreur and even I needed the slow-motion to work out some of those calls, so I'm happy to cut him some slack on things like calling a failed attack parried).

As people have pointed out with the "Aussie Commentary" of Roy & HG, they talked absolute crap, but it was *exciting*, *enthusiastic* crap!

haggis
-18th August 2004, 13:30
Originally posted by Marcos
there have been threads before as to who should do the commentating, with suggestions ranging from Bruce Dickenson to Angelina Jolie...my pick would be Pierre Harper!

Too many swear words. Our already pathetic fencing coverage would be pulled before the end of the first fight and shortly after the first sentence that sounded something like "Cluck me! That was quit!" Maybe Pierre's other half (better half?) Linda Starchan would be a better bet.

Regards

Haggis

overpaid
-18th August 2004, 13:30
I have to concede some fair points there.

Changing the subject - How much of the blame for poor converage rests with the press office of the BFA?

Chris Morgan
-22nd August 2004, 12:18
Does anyone know when-was the mens epee individual and team?

Tubby
-22nd August 2004, 13:22
Originally posted by Chris Morgan
Does anyone know when-was the mens epee individual and team? Team epee is today.

Andy
-29th August 2004, 00:50
I'm so p1$$3d off I mist the Epee for the Pentathalon as well as a bit more coverage for the womens sabre that my friend saw, by the time I got onto the TV the pentathalon had gone onto the swimming section.

If anyone has a video of any of the fencing (from sky or anywhere) that I could borrow please PM me so we can arrange...

Thanks in advance...

A.

PM1
-29th August 2004, 01:10
..about 10 secs of the wednesday night, and the women's epee coverage. Could give it to Adam Blight on Friday if that's any use to you, or we'll be at Essex on Sunday.....pm me if interested.

Foilling Around
-29th August 2004, 13:29
Its not just the fencing commentary that has problems. I've been shouting at the telly a few times when they have been talking rubbish so intently that they have missed important action. The men's and women's triathalon were cases in point.

I've never done commentary, but it can't be easy to yack for ages without repeating yourself. I do however do a lot of speaking in the classroom (many of my students say too much) and I find it difficult sometimes to avoid a monotone delivery.

In the Sheffield World Student Games Finals Bruce Dickinson provided live comment during the bouts. If I remember rightly he did not find it too easy and annoyed some of the referees with some comments which implied questioning of their decisions.

randomsabreur
-29th August 2004, 14:44
I can understand the problems with commentating when the fencing is actually being shown live, but this year it wasn't so quite why Eurosport didn't let James look through the video first and actually listen to what the referee is saying (we can hear it under his voice), then he would know exactly what the score is and why the hit has gone the way it has.

And frankly, given that the BBC was showing the Judo and using such terms as Ippon, Koka and the other 2 which I can't even remember, why would there be a problem with technical terms such as attack, parry and riposte, all of which are used in general speech in similar sort of meaning!

Glue Boy
-10th September 2004, 21:08
did anyone see the australian coverage?

that was great! :cool:

ceprab
-16th September 2004, 10:37
Has anyone seen the London 2012 bid advert (I think on channel 4)? It may be a false impression, but I think that showed more fencing than the BBC coverage of the actual Olympics this year :( (about 4 seconds worth).

27ab1c
-7th July 2005, 12:19
The cynic in me thinks that there will be even less BBC coverage of fencing in 2012.

When the Olympics on the other side of the world, BBC still manages 23 hours of athletics and a brief mention of other gold medalists (except for the first couple of days when the first shooter to win a medal gets blanket coverage for a day or two).
In London when, hopefully, the Brits will be inspired to even more medals, I suspect it'll be 24-hour athletics with an occasional voiceover that we've won gold in the yachting, or whatever. If any Brits do really well in the fencing - i.e. make the final eight - they'll be lucky to get a mention.

I see the options as:
a. Brits winning fencing medals - recent history is against it, but I really hope I'm wrong.
b. Multi-screen technology advancing further in the next seven years so we can CHOOSE to see all the fencing, or any other sport for that matter.
c. Buying tickets to see it all live.

gbm
-7th July 2005, 18:48
In my case, I suspect c, but certainly b should be an option - since I could do it on Freeview with Wimbledon...

gbm
-7th July 2005, 18:48
In my case, I suspect c, but certainly b should be an option - since I could do it on Freeview with Wimbledon...

madfencer
-25th November 2005, 15:22
tut tut gbm you double posted :tongue: I remember I used to get told off on that on here a while back coz when the comp ran slow I used to frantically click submit reply about 5 times...I remember once I did 8 posts!!

madfencer
-25th November 2005, 15:23
are tickets on sale already? I want to go and see the fencing so badly!!

gbm
-27th November 2005, 18:09
Tickets will probably come on sale in about, oh, 6 years?

madfencer
-14th December 2005, 12:24
ah so quite a while then ;) I really want tickets!! meh.

Carnacki
-7th August 2008, 18:50
Time to update this thread after 3 years!

I see the BBC are providing zero coverage of fencing at the Olympics this year.

So in 2008, with digital TV, satellite and cable, the BBC's iPlayer, on-demand and catch-up delivery of TV, not to mention online services delivering high-quality broadband video, we still can't pick and choose what we watch from the Olympics.

hokers
-7th August 2008, 20:48
Not again - read the other thread. There will be at least some coverage by the BBC:

http://fencingforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11107

thedoc
-7th August 2008, 21:30
Depends on what BBC schedule you look at.

I was just looking at the full channel breakdown here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sol/shared/bsp/hi/olympics2008/epg/html/epg.stm

Guess which is the only sport that is not on the drop down menu...

Lucky that I will be in Hungary to save me from seething anger.

hokers
-7th August 2008, 22:03
http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/proginfo/tv/wk33/olympics.shtml

PM1
-7th August 2008, 22:15
:D My goodness!!! Alex and Richard mentioned by name......:D

thedoc
-7th August 2008, 22:17
I have seen read that link before. It rather looks like the schedule that I linked to is the fully detailed plan that the press office release was referring too.

I am willing to bet the coverage will not stretch to anymore that our fencer fenced today, they show a hit and a one line interview. We will only get anymore than that if someone wins a medal. I can almost guarantee there will be no live coverage.

Twisted_Sabreur
-12th August 2008, 17:29
Oh bl**dy brilliant.

Turned over and the 6 o'clock news was on. They were at the fencing venue. Why? To discuss how China were having to ship in volunteers to fill in gaps in the seats as fencing is one of the quieter sports.

I wonder how the womens softball is getting on.

grr:mad:

sabre_monkeyman
-12th August 2008, 17:37
Bad luck Alex, great comeback and very frustrating to lose 15-14! HATE IT!

Saxon
-12th August 2008, 17:44
Thinking you should be watching the fencing instead of endless repeats of highlights of handball, shooting, eventing, diving, weightlifting and other such enormously popular, mass-participation sports? Not to mention the "what's basketball about" spot which was repeating on a 90 second loop last night?

I love sailing, but I came home this evening to see the same race which was being shown when I left this morning.

What's the point of six free-to-air feeds if they are largely being used to replay the same footage over and over again?

What am I thinking - this is the BBC...

Well, try this one for size.

http://www.petitiononline.com/bbcofc/petition.html

All of you.
Probably won't get anywhere, but the time it will take you (even if you don't actually write to them too) is there any reason not to?

Spider5
-12th August 2008, 18:26
Done mine.

Few snippets of fencing with the Hazel Irvine section including an interview with Alex O'Connell after the 15-14 fight and a mention of RK fencing in a day or so.

However, it's still not enough in this day and age of internet streaming and interactive digital television.

rpryer
-12th August 2008, 19:07
For those people that missed it - highlights of the MS on the BBC website now (or on red button channel 6 on Cable/Satelite)

razors
-12th August 2008, 20:12
For those people that missed it - highlights of the MS on the BBC website now (or on red button channel 6 on Cable/Satelite)

Good grief. Who was that clueless Aussie commentating? All he did was repeat the score after each point. At least he didn't try to second guess the hits before the president called them.

Surely the Beeb might have thought to invite practically anyone from the BFA to commentate.

Boo Boo
-12th August 2008, 21:52
Nice interview with Alex after his fight, earlier today, shown on BBC. Alex came across very well.

Boo

Moncky
-12th August 2008, 22:12
Good grief. Who was that clueless Aussie commentating? All he did was repeat the score after each point. At least he didn't try to second guess the hits before the president called them.

Surely the Beeb might have thought to invite practically anyone from the BFA to commentate.

Yeah, I just caught it at the start of the Bronze Medal play-off. The comentary was pretty poor. There was no explanation as to why one fighter scored a point over another. Never heard the mention of a parry or a reposte. And when the video replay was called during the final, why didnt we see it?

Maybe I'm just too used to Martin Brundles in-depth and insightful additions to the F1 commentary.

PM1
-12th August 2008, 23:39
There was I, outside the court room, chatting away, when my eye was caught by the tv screen a good 25 yards down the waiting room: coo, fencing, thinks I....that's a jacket just like Alex'sbutitisAlexWOW!!! couldn't hear what was being said, can't lip read that well at a distance either. I checked it out on the BBC web site later. Good one!!

Bayston
-13th August 2008, 00:42
YAY I've got my copy of the Mens Sabre! Really frustrated the bbc wouldnt show it. Thankfully my friend in Poland recorded the final and 3rd place play off. Thank god for connections!! :D

Red
-13th August 2008, 01:03
YAY I've got my copy of the Mens Sabre! Really frustrated the bbc wouldnt show it. Thankfully my friend in Poland recorded the final and 3rd place play off. Thank god for connections!! :D

The BBC (via the red button) showed the semis and the bronze and gold medal matches.... In full... They also showed highlights of Alex's fight (during conventional programming).

mendacious dog
-13th August 2008, 06:55
The BBC (via the red button) showed the semis and the bronze and gold medal matches.... In full...

Indeed, and very enjoyable it was. Full marks for the camerawork and overall presentation. Minus a few for the commentry though (even if it is more pitched at the man in the street than us sofa-based experts). How many times did we hear that the hit was 'obviously' on one fencer or the other during the slo-mo replay? It can be hard enough for us experts (:whistle: ) to tell sometimes at that level, let alone the GU. And all that about 'slashing' at the other fencer in sabre? Bah.

But at least it was on.

:dogs:

Woof

rory
-13th August 2008, 08:10
BBC tonight, same time same place (interactive channel 6, 20:00) - Mens Foil ;-)

Presumably with the same underwhelming commentary - wonder if it''ll be "another good poke from the left!"

Australian
-13th August 2008, 09:21
Just saw Richard on BBC1, interview and highlights of both matches.

Saw Hussein Sadiq in the crowd too!

27ab1c
-13th August 2008, 09:21
Two minutes of Richard on BBC this morning, including post-match interview.

1cypriotfencer
-13th August 2008, 10:16
where can we see highlights of this match?

Hungry Hippo
-13th August 2008, 16:01
Few snippets of fencing with the Hazel Irvine section including an interview with Alex O'Connell after the 15-14 fight and a mention of RK fencing in a day or so.

However, she did mention in the same presentation that GBR had TWO fencers at the Olympics - poor Martina.

Agree that Alex came over well - he'd also been in a pre-match interview earlier in the day, and again was most commendable.

This interview was only about 40 seconds, and was sandwiched between shooter Richard Faulds and weightlifter (!) Michaela Breeze having their say. Alex was a good example to the sport at all times.

rpryer
-13th August 2008, 16:23
I thought Richard's interview today (available here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/fencing/7558557.stm)) was good.

omc
-13th August 2008, 18:23
I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned, but NBColympics.com has a lot of great fencing coverage [e.g. 6 hours worth of mens Sabre covering right from the 64]. It requires microsoft silverlight which you may need to install for the video [available mac and pc], and also requires you [I think] to be at a US address. Your mileage may vary.

My suggestion for the US location problem, the legality of which is potentially dubious, is to use a US web proxy to gain access to the video content. I do not intend to provide a how-to on this forum, but try google for both the proxy address and setup instructions for your web browser.

You may additionally be asked for a US Zipcode and Cable provider, for which I suggest 20005 [Washington DC] and Comcast, a combination which worked for me.

The quality is excellent, although the player will change quality depending on your connection, which will in turn depend on your web proxy. No commentary provided [which can often be a blessing].

Aidan
-15th August 2008, 14:11
I haven't seen anything on TV (Freeview box conked out at the wrong time) but the BBC fencing website is pretty good, and the Guardian's fencing page is also rather thoughtful. There's a good piece on the WS finals by a non-fencer enthusiast http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/aug/10/olympics2008.olympicsfencing

As a slight aside, I asked British Fencing why their front page has 'athletes depart for China' as the top article, and not, for instance, results and reactions/commentary. In reply, they've put the barest results up (e.g. what round GBR fencers went out in, not the placings or anything else), underneath the article on athletes departing! Brilliant.
A

Captchris
-16th August 2008, 13:10
I thought Richard's interview today (available here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/fencing/7558557.stm)) was good.

Considering some of the other interviews, it was a pretty good one. He was fairly honest about what he thought he could've done. Most of the other members of TeamGB (not fencing) have been doing a lot of... "Yeah it was a pleasure to be here and I was glad that I was here..."

There doesnt seem to be a lot of "fire" anymore! Just the typical British stiff upper lip and 'its the taking part that counts'. While I agree that's great examples of sportsmanship there doesnt seem to be the drive that other countries seem to have. Is it too much to ask for somebody to say, "No, I wanted a medal, that's what I came for and its going to drive me for the next Olympics!"?

Captchris
-16th August 2008, 13:20
BTW whatever happened to coverage on British Eurosport? (Have I missed the conversation about this already?) I remember there was quite decent coverage of the European Championships in Ghent.

I managed to record quite a bit onto DVD. It really helped my coaching to see things slowed down on the replays too!

gurney
-21st August 2008, 06:33
Just thought you might be interested in a response I had from the BBC. Doesn't say an awful lot but it does at least hold out hope for beter coverage at the 2012 Olympics.

The BBC's response is first, my original email to them is second.

Dear Gurney

Thank you for your email about our coverage of the Olympic Games.

I understand that you are disappointed with the coverage afforded to the fencing events.

We have tried to ensure that we cover as much of the Olympic Games as possible and as such, this year, we are broadcasting 2,750 hours of coverage, through BBC One, BBC Two and BBCi. This includes 300 hours of coverage on BBC One and BBC Two while BBCi will provide 2,450 hours of interactive coverage. This is compared to 250 hours on BBC One and BBC Two and 1,000 hours on BBCi for Athens 2004.

Given the sheer number of events taking place however it is not possible to give every event airtime on TV and audiences expect certain sports to be prioritised to reflect levels of interest and medal hopes. We will however, be providing comprehensive news and updates through the BBC Sport website, where fans of fencing will be able to follow all the latest action:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/fencing/default.stm

The British team have had three fencers competing, the first two went out in the first round on days 3 and 4 but we did include a brief report on them in our coverage. We also had a team covering the exploits of the third Olympian who competed in the men's foil on day 5. We do however have a desire to continually improve our coverage and it is hoped by 2012 that all events will be available live.

I appreciate that as a fan of the fencing, you have been disappointed and I have registered your complaint on our audience log. This is the internal report of audience feedback which we compile daily for all programme makers within the BBC including members of the Executive Board, channel controllers and other senior managers. We also compile a tailored audience feedback report for the Olympics production team so they can have an overview of all contacts received about our coverage.

Thank you once again for taking the time to contact us.

Regards

Barry Graham
BBC Complaints

I would like to register a formal complaint against the BBC's almost total lack of respect for fencing, and clear prejudice against it as a sport worthy of being sensibly televised during this olympics.

We had three british competitors present and their coverage has been either brief during short news items, or totally non-existant.

Regardless of the british presence, fencing remains a sport much loved by many people, myself included - and the olympics remains one of the rare occassions when it is accessible to a wider audience.

The BBC's decision to not show meaningful coverage of this sport is appalling.

As I look down the BBC's TV scheduling on the BBC olympics sports website, the drop down menu of all the many sports being covered doesn't even include a listing for fencing.

I did however very much enjoy the 1 hour of men's sabre you showed, but even then the person chosen for commentary was clearly someone with almost no comprehension of what he was watching.

In effect it is clear that the BBC has made a decision to devote neither resources nor scheduling time to one of only 4 sports to have been present at every modern olympics, and in this regard has shown total disregard for the wishes of the many fencers in this country, young and old, and also failed to deliver in their public duty to inform and educate the general public and provide coverage of major world events.

I hope that you may have in fact recorded more fencing coverage than has been aired and will make this footage available shortly, and I also hope that you will very seriously reconsider your scheduling and place fencing equally alongside all other sports during the 2012 olympics.

I look forward to your response and explanation.

yours sincerely,
Gurney

rory
-21st August 2008, 08:25
Gurney,
Well written email, but did you notice the multiple hours of fencing coverage on the 'red button' streams?

8pm BST for several nights in a row, we got highlights and complete semis /finals of several weapons, as mentioned by previous posters (including me).

gurney
-21st August 2008, 08:31
Yes, I did notice them, but the email was written before they aired.

The issue was that although they ended up being available via the red button, it was jolly hard work to find information beforehand about them. And on the red button service there is no ability to record them, other than via output to a DVD recorder or video. We only have sky+ now and that doesn't record interactive channels.

I happened to be working on the evenings they showed any fencing on the red button, so I missed it all, except one sabre final.

Further to this, they've failed to make the little coverage they did have available on the net. I'd have thought that given how very little coverage they gave overall, they should have at the very least made those few hours available for more to watch.

All in all, a great pity I think.

vil
-21st August 2008, 13:32
Further to this, they've failed to make the little coverage they did have available on the net. I'd have thought that given how very little coverage they gave overall, they should have at the very least made those few hours available for more to watch.
Have you actually had a look at their fencing page (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/fencing/default.stm)? Lots of video on there, so it's kind of hard to see what you're complaining about. Personally I thought their coverage was really good - a hell of a lot better than I was expecting.

gurney
-21st August 2008, 14:21
their fencing page is great for the news, but I thought you, like me, would enjoy actually watching the matches. Maybe I'm wrong.

the news coverage was good, and they had little titbits of what happened in the matches. But very little accessible coverage of the full events to enjoy.

for me watching sport is not just about finding out who won after the event, but enjoying the uncertainty and suspense along the way.

So don't you think we should be pressing the BBC for better coverage then? At least I've given it a go.

I wrote the email half way through the fencing tournament at a time when there was very little happening on the BBC. I accept that they did pick their game up a little as the finals happened. But unless the fencing community stands up and asks the BBC for better coverage then they will have little reason to provide it.

pinkelephant
-21st August 2008, 15:13
I don't see the problem with output to a video or DVD recorder.

gurney
-21st August 2008, 15:16
lol! as long as you're there to record it! you can't programme a DVD recorder to or VHS to record an interactive channel while you're out!!! The red button is great if you're watching live, but if you go out you're stuffed!

Rdb811
-21st August 2008, 15:26
Depends on the channel - the BBC tends to use 301 / 302 which I could pick up using a hard disc recorder.

ChubbyHubby
-21st August 2008, 15:30
IMHO this Olympics has had the best coverage for fencing ever, as far as I can remember.

There were multiple sources where you can view fencing, (with the bonus of no James Chambers commentary).

You can view matches live on the eurovision site. Hightlights on there afterwards too.

The BBC had it on the red button quite a few times.

Even just the last Olympics we were having to patch through to some dodgy Italian streaming site that juddered with every step.

In past few years this improved with WCSN.com, although you have to be technical enough to patch through a proxy server.

It's been great!

pinkelephant
-21st August 2008, 17:47
lol! as long as you're there to record it! you can't programme a DVD recorder to or VHS to record an interactive channel while you're out!!! The red button is great if you're watching live, but if you go out you're stuffed!

Unless you put the interactive channel on before you go, and set the recorder to start at the right time - or ask a friendly neighbour to pop in and push the button.

Captchris
-22nd August 2008, 12:40
The BBC had it on the red button quite a few times.

That's a bit too much like hard work! Ideally there should be somewhere where you can find the sport, channel and time and then be able to record it easily. Oh Wait! There's the Radio times and other listings. Have they been helpful? Have they buggery!

Velociraptor
-22nd August 2008, 13:06
My HD recorder's programme guide had detailed listings for 301/302 channels but not for the BBCi red button and the schedules in the RT didn't help much either, so I've not been able to record any of the fencing.

Is it possible that the FIE or BBC or Olympic organizers themselves will have DVDs of the competition available to buy after the games?

I would have thought that many fans of all sports would appreciate such a thing.

FoilyDeath
-22nd August 2008, 13:08
I don't believe so...the FIE don't have the broadcasting or distribution rights for the Olympics, so if any DVDs do come out, it will be because NBC/CCTV/BBC decide its a worthy investment, and thats unlikely.

pinkelephant
-22nd August 2008, 18:31
That's a bit too much like hard work! Ideally there should be somewhere where you can find the sport, channel and time and then be able to record it easily. Oh Wait! There's the Radio times and other listings. Have they been helpful? Have they buggery!

The schedule for each stream on each day is in the Sport Menu, accessed from the red button on BBC itself.

rory
-23rd August 2008, 20:29
The schedule for each stream on each day is in the Sport Menu, accessed from the red button on BBC itself.

And on the web.