PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here going or know someone personaly who is going to the olympics?

new_hope
-17th July 2004, 00:11
Just like what the title says... "Does anyone here going or know someone personaly who is going to the olympics?"

Well i don't know them personaly but my friends cousins are Sada and Emily Jaboson.

Who do you know?

~new_hope

DISCLAIMER: Im not sure if this thread was made before so forgive me if it was. If so the mods have my permision to lock this thread.

randomsabreur
-17th July 2004, 12:17
I went to uni with Louise Bond-Williams for a year, and in common with many of the sabreurs in this country have been beaten comprehensively at many a competition

Australian
-17th July 2004, 13:06
Frank Bartolillo (Aus Mens Foil, beat Mansour 15-4 at Commonwealths final) is a good friend of mine... will be interesting to see how he goes.

Evelyn Halls, (Aus womens epee, 2 WC silver medals this year) is getting married to a good friend of mine.

Puss in boots
-19th July 2004, 09:00
Great to see an Aussie in the forum. having been present at the 2000 mens foil in Sydney, Athens will be great. Be a late night for Aussies though!!

Australian
-19th July 2004, 09:26
Originally posted by Puss in boots
Great to see an Aussie in the forum. having been present at the 2000 mens foil in Sydney, Athens will be great. Be a late night for Aussies though!!

cept i'm living in the uk til december... i'll be back in time for u20s in jan

Cyranox11
-19th July 2004, 12:05
Hi
I am quite a close friend of Natalia Tyshler, who will be fencing for RSA in WE.
Gennady Tyshler is the team coach and he is also my coach.
I also know Rachel Barlow and Kelly Wilson (the other 2 members of the RSA WE team) quite well...

Sabrette
-27th July 2004, 06:53
I'm friends with Louise, and know a mens sabreur from the US going. The guy more as an aquantence though.

michel
-27th July 2004, 20:55
In my club, three of our fencers will go to Athens, in epee : Erick Boisse (France), and Aissam Rami (Morocco) for the men, and Angela Espinosa (Colombia) for the women. And I well know them. I also well know Philippe Boisse (Olympic Champion in 1984), Erick's father, who will be there to comment for French TV. I also know other French fencers like Adeline Wuilleme (WF), Hugues Obry (former clubmate), Fabrice and Jerome Jeannet (ME), and a few Laura Flessel and Hajnalka Kiraly-Picot (WE).

gbm
-27th July 2004, 22:24
Originally posted by michel
In my club, three of our fencers will go to Athens, in epee : Erick Boisse (France), and Aissam Rami (Morocco) for the men, and Angela Espinosa (Colombia) for the women.

So your club has more fencers qualified for the Olympics than our country... scary!

Australian
-28th July 2004, 07:59
Originally posted by michel
Jerome Jeannet (ME)

i lost to him 3-5 at the sydney A grade!

michel
-28th July 2004, 08:22
Originally posted by goodbadandme
So your club has more fencers qualified for the Olympics than our country... scary!

Yes, and since 1980, we had olympians for each Olympic Games, only in epee :
1980 : Philippe Boisse (France), team event winner
1984 : Philippe Boisse, individual event winner and team event runner-up
1988 : Mauricio Rivas (Colombia), individual event 12th
1992 : Mauricio Rivas, individual event 7th
1996 : Valerie Barlois (France), team event winner and individual event runner-up ; Mauricio Rivas, individual event 13th
2000 : Jean-François Di Martino (France), team event runner-up
2004 : Erick Boisse (France, Philippe Boisse's son), Aissam Rami (Morocco) and Angela Espinosa (Colombia)

rory
-28th July 2004, 09:26
I used to train with Aida Mohamed and Gabriella Varga (both qualified in Womens Foil) at Honved in Hungary.

They're quite good.

TBennett
-28th July 2004, 18:18
I know Simon Burnett..... He is the 200m Freestyle swimmer for GB. Used to go to my club (when I was still swimming competitively). He is also in 4x200 relay for us too... Go Si!! If there is a 4x100m freestyle relay he will be in that too.

Flatline
-17th August 2004, 08:16
Sarah Winkless, very tall womens rower. Got very drunk with her and her brother in Manchester on many occasions and nearly lost her in Moss Side one time.

davidc
-18th August 2004, 01:36
Well, when I lived in Melbourne, I trained at VRI fencing club - which is where Evelyn Halls usually trains (when she's not spending weeks or months away around the world competing), and Seamus Robinson sometimes trains.

Interestingly, over the last year or so Seamus and Evelyn seem to have moved up a level - my bouts against Evelyn used to be fairly even, and I used to have a slim chance of making Seamus sweat a bit, but my recent bouts against them were very one-sided (maybe I'm heading downhill, but their world rankings have gone up too, so I'm claiming that it's them improving :)