PDA

View Full Version : fencing schollerships

new_hope
-17th July 2004, 00:17
How awsome do you have to be to get a fencing scholership in the USA?

ty

~new_hope

Biggles
-17th July 2004, 17:54
I'm sure you have to be quite good, but it might impress the selectors if you could spell it correctly! ;)

Insipiens
-4th August 2004, 15:59
Surely the stereotype of US sporting scholarships is that being able to spell is neither a requirement nor a benefit.;)

Boo Boo
-4th August 2004, 17:45
Originally posted by Insipiens
Surely the stereotype of US sporting scholarships is that being able to spell is neither a requirement nor a benefit.;)

Nah, it's just that they spell things differently in the US (color, categorize, schollership...) ;)

Boo

Prometheus
-4th August 2004, 17:55
Ah, my poor British brethen. You are so ignorant of the ways of the sword. You will see that new_hope is right!

If you examine the following link you will see that Scholler is a term used in the ancient ways of combat. I suggest you check out the last few paragraphs....

http://www.aemma.org/misc/trng_body.htm

Biggles
-4th August 2004, 20:10
My apologies to the learned new_hope!:o:

Lucan
-4th August 2004, 21:50
Try College Prospects of America (CPOA) is a scholarship place service, with branches in most American states and Canadian provinces and Mexico, Australia, South Africa, Nigeria, Poland China and the United Kingdom.

http://www.cpoauk.com/

I think that there are only 30 fencing scholarships in the USA

Foilling Around
-4th August 2004, 22:41
But Prometheus you spell it Scholler, he spells it Scholer!

So do you know what the "l" you are talking about?

Boo Boo
-5th August 2004, 01:28
Originally posted by Foilling Around
But Prometheus you spell it Scholler, he spells it Scholer!

So do you know what the "l" you are talking about?

new_hope spells it both ways (two "ll"s in the title, one "l" in the body of his message).

Boo
(spiralling into pedanticism....)

UglyBug
-5th August 2004, 08:14
Originally posted by Boo Boo

Boo
(spiralling into pedanticism....)

The word is actually pedantism (now plumbing new depths!)

Insipiens
-5th August 2004, 14:02
Originally posted by UglyBug
The word is actually pedantism (now plumbing new depths!)

I thought it was pedantry. :confused:

Boo Boo
-5th August 2004, 14:37
Sorry, am posting these replies from the USA - must be suffering contamination... ;)

Boo

UglyBug
-5th August 2004, 15:17
Originally posted by Insipiens
I thought it was pedantry. :confused:

The Oxford says pedantry, the Websters says pedantism, so you can actually take your pick. Nobody says pedanticism (sorry Boo).

UglyBug
-5th August 2004, 15:29
Originally posted by Prometheus
Ah, my poor British brethen. You are so ignorant of the ways of the sword. You will see that new_hope is right!

If you examine the following link you will see that Scholler is a term used in the ancient ways of combat. I suggest you check out the last few paragraphs....

http://www.aemma.org/misc/trng_body.htm

Admirable to stick up for new_hope like that, but the context is all wrong. In my American English Dictionary (work for a US company in the UK, so have one to hand!) scholarship is spelled scholarship.

PS Spelled and spelt are interchangeable.

PPS Might actually DO some work now!

Tsra
-17th August 2004, 14:07
Hey, some of us in the United States have excellent grammar. You just have to find us. :grin: And yes, scholarship is spelled scholarship. :cool: It was prob just a typo on new-hope's part.

Emma T
-21st August 2004, 16:21
Originally posted by UglyBug
The Oxford says pedantry, the Websters says pedantism, so you can actually take your pick. Nobody says pedanticism (sorry Boo).

Well, technically Boo says pedanticism, so saying that nobody says it is wrong, I might not register in any dictionaries, but at least(!) one person does say it. Okay, now I think I might have just won the battle for most pedantic...

Boo Boo
-21st August 2004, 19:51
Originally posted by Emma T
Well, technically Boo says pedanticism, so saying that nobody says it is wrong, I might not register in any dictionaries, but at least(!) one person does say it. Okay, now I think I might have just won the battle for most pedantic...

Don't use me as an example for anything.... at school (many years ago... ;) ) I managed to be in the top group for English and the bottom group for spelling - I thought that was quite a feat!

Boo
(normally saved by a spell checker, but not whilst using the internet...)

Foilling Around
-25th August 2004, 16:43
Getting back to the title of this forum (spelling excepted) how good would a British Fencers have to be to get a worthwhile scholarship to a US University?

I know Louise BW was "tapped up" (so to speak) by her current coach, but what type of Cadet/Junior/Adult achievement would a British fencers in Year 12/13 need to start approaching US Colleges?

Naturally I am not asking on my own behalf (I've already been a mature student twice and I don't intend to do it again. I do however coach quite a few bright youngsters for whom this type of thing could be an option.

Any of our US friends involved in this side if college life?

Naturally I have tried to be careful with my spelling and grammar!!!!

Emma T
-25th August 2004, 17:01
I know Louise BW was "tapped up" (so to speak) by her current coach, but what type of Cadet/Junior/Adult achievement would a British fencers in Year 12/13 need to start approaching US Colleges?

Naturally I have tried to be careful with my spelling and grammar!!!!

And you still you messed up! :tongue: "a British fencers". Sorry, I'll go back and hide in my hole again now...

Boo Boo
-25th August 2004, 17:27
Getting back to the title of this forum (spelling excepted) how good would a British Fencers have to be to get a worthwhile scholarship to a US University?

I would guess that you would have to be talking "proven international" (L32s, or preferably better, at junior A-grades). Looking at current WS, for example, someone like Jo Hutchison would be in a good position.

Competition for scholarships in the US is very tough (since Americans have to pay so much in college fees, any bit of help is eagerly sort) and I would guess that preference is given to US atheletes over foreigners of a similar standard.

Why don't you post your question on the US forum (www.fencing101.com/vb)?

Boo

Boo

Foilling Around
-25th August 2004, 20:53
Thanks Emma T!!!!

So ... I'm not purfect!!

Socrates
-3rd September 2004, 03:20
I'll be dammed - language is being debated. And here I thought that only happened in books from the 50's by crazy Yale dropouts...There may yet be some hope for people out there...
Cheers, Socrates

FoilyDeath
-26th September 2004, 16:28
It all depends how much of a scholarship you mean. A full scholarship, you have to be damn good, but if you just want to get in easier and get recruited to an Ivy League team, well top 15 in UK will probably get you into most US universities.