PDA

View Full Version : New Guy Needs Advice

orisons
-16th May 2003, 00:15
Here We Go
Hi all, I have just been introduced to the sport/art of fencng (a few weeks ago)and I am eagerly awaiting my next meeting (sounds a bit like AA, "Hi I am Orisons and I'm a fencer""Hi orisons")anyway as I say Mature(30 something) New Guy, My job means I can only go to 1 in every two meetings in the club, but I am desperate to learn more while away, I am awaiting a "steam foil" for practise but require a training regime can anyone recommend books videos, training for me
any help would be much appriciated
Orisons

Moose
-16th May 2003, 00:44
What you should consider doing is persuading the wife/girlfriend/best mate/dog to take up fencing to, because there is nothing like a real live opponent to improve yourself against.

orisons
-16th May 2003, 00:51
Are you mad???
Give my wife a sword and say "go ahead attack me" you'de be reading about it the next day in the papers "Man in foil horror"
Seriously I have asked freinds/family to come along but no takers I'm afraid
Thanks anyway
Ori

Moose
-16th May 2003, 01:25
Ahh well, was worth a shot.

One of the most important things to practice is you footwork, this can save your bacon in a fight, just as much as bladework can, you need to work on your speed and on maintaing distace from a moving object (cats may work).

Muso440
-16th May 2003, 06:41
Hi Orisons,

I'm fairly new to fencing too (2 months), and I've found that just practising the moves at home with a stick (!) / vaguely foil shaped object helps a lot. Just repeating the parry / riposte combinations and making sure your feet and hands are moving the right way. It's a bit boring admittedly, but it does help when you get back to the real thing.

Can sympathise about the lack of takers amongst friends / family too, i have the same problem. (My Significant Other maintains that fencing is violent and aggressive, and he's much too peaceful and chilled a person for that...)

reposte
-16th May 2003, 08:22
I'd recommend a combination of the following:
First, go to your coach and have him build you a feet work plan to exercise at home.
Second, take a REAL foil and practice the moves at home - in front of a MIRROR.
Thirdly, try and obtain some old footage of fencers from no later then the late eighties, then the classical blade work and footwork
is what they teach beginners today. It's the ground zero - a very tall ground zero.
That will possibly substitute your lack of learning role models.

Good luck and keep on going!

Barry Paul
-16th May 2003, 10:40
hi click on equipment logo look at shop click on books video, You can get a outline description of all the media we have available. The Lazlo sabre video covers much of the basics which is usefull across all weopons. There is a new foot work video DVD from Thyshler, which is very good. Barry Paul

Muso440
-16th May 2003, 18:28
Originally posted by reposte

Second, take a REAL foil and practice the moves at home - in front of a MIRROR.

Using a foil is fine if you have one - but if you don't, I'd say weilding a ruler is better than nothing...

Moose
-16th May 2003, 18:44
Bamboo canes are fairly close approximations.

orisons
-16th May 2003, 22:02
I am eagerly awaiting a foil from leon paul hopefully get here b4 tuesday(thats my club night):rambo:

Rdb811
-17th May 2003, 01:24
A knife sharpner has about the right weighting - use a big mirror and check for where you are exposing yourself when en garde., and then progress to not moving your shoulder when extending the arm. You'll find that your natural en garde is too much towrds the centre.

DonnCarnage
-19th May 2003, 19:42
Why buy a foil when u can make one at home!?!:tongue:

Thats what my brothers and I did!Apart from the bashed up fingers, it was kinda fun.;)

All u need is a bamboo cane, a square thin block of wood(for the guard) and something to put it together.

Here's one i made earlier:

--+--------

DC:pirate:

orisons
-19th May 2003, 22:13
Too Late my foil arrived today (yee haa) thanks anyway
Ori