PDA

View Full Version : flicking in epee with a French grip

epeemom
-22nd July 2004, 12:35
I recently read a thread in the Foil section about flicking with a French Grip. I fence epee, however, and was wondering if it is possible to do the same thing in epee.

Gav
-22nd July 2004, 12:51
Of course.

Tarmac
-22nd July 2004, 21:13
just make sure you've got a strong wrist!

BigPappaBear
-23rd July 2004, 14:34
Depends how you hold the French grip? I doubt you'd be able to do the flick without exposing a lot of arm.

Personally I've never been able to flick with a French Grip. But this might have something to do with the way I flick rather than the grip.

Gav
-23rd July 2004, 14:40
I wasn't going to chime in on this with a big post as I don't use a french grip. There is a fencer at my club who can flick with a french grip while pommeling. He doesn't expose a lot fo arm and is pretty deadly with it. I've also fenced a highky ranked pommeler in Britain who has flicked with one. So yes, it is possible you just need to get the technique right. And have a strong forearm.

epeemom
-23rd July 2004, 15:03
Well, then, I guess that leaves me out.

crt
-23rd July 2004, 16:21
It is possible to flick with a french grip epee whilst holding it by the pommel. One of my old training partners has gotten away with using a large circular motion to flick an opponent under the wrist (his sword ends up upside down under his opponents wrist) for years!. He has been able to use the odd looking, risky move as he has a very good sense of timing and distance - which has allowed him to get away with this for so long.

Try using a very light weight epee to begin with. Leon Paul and Negrini make some. Some of the French pommellers have perfected a flick hit that is just sufficient to make the end of their blade bend enough for the tip to land on the top of their opponenet's hand or thumb. This technique takes a while to master but does not need huge amounts of strength.

Another option would be to use the flick to the wrist as a preparation to draw an exaggerated sixte parry that would then expose your opponent's knee or thigh. This is particularly useful for a left hander against a right hander. Again this would not need a large amount of strength in your fore arm, just a good sense of timing.

Try it and see what happens.

epeemom
-23rd July 2004, 17:16
Thank you - thank you......

jamesthornton
-25th July 2004, 14:33
its probably actualy easier to flick when pommelin as you can get more leverage. i certainly dont find it any more difficult and it can be a very effective way of stop hitting to as you can get your arm out of the way very quickly after.
:fencingsm