PDA

View Full Version : What strength kit do I need???

bufc99
-16th May 2003, 22:12
Hi ppl,

When I get some money I'm gonna invest in some new kit. My question is, I'm not gonna compete in nationals or internationals or anything cos I only do fencing as a fun way of losing a few pounds, what sort of strength kit do I need to compete, 350N or 800N, cos I don't know what the rules are.

Any help would be muchly appreciated.

Ta

bydande
-17th May 2003, 00:12
BF guidelines for clothing from 1st January 2006 can be found at:
http://www.britishfencing.com/safetystandards.htm

But to summarise the guidelines will be:
- if you only fence with practice foils (adult or child)
or are a child fencing electric with a short weapon (<size 3 blade)
then all 350N kit is acceptable
- if you are an adult fencing electric at a not A grade event then you can get away with a 350N jacket and breeches but you need an 800N plastron
- If you intend to compete at the higher levels (A Grades etc etc) you need all 800N clothing and a 1600n mask.

So based on your stated intentions you could probably get away with 350N jacket, breeches and mask and an 800N plastron. However, one should always remember that 800N kit is safer than 350N kit so a lot of people who dont compete at the top level still wear 800N kit out of consideration for their personal safety - even though it can be a lot more expensive.

So it really ends up as a balancing trick between, your goals (compete in A grades or not), your wallet (800N is more expensive) and your consideration for your personal safety. Different people value these three factors differently and may come with different conclusions to you or I.

bufc99
-17th May 2003, 01:23
Cheers, for that Bydande.

Since I'm a foilist, I'll prob go for 350N Breeches and Mask and 800N Jacket and Plastron as that's where I'll take the most hits. Also I'm a poor student so I can't splash out on full 800N kit.

Cheers

Moose
-17th May 2003, 14:46
Lol, I tried saying that, and just blew half my student loan on 800N kit, oops :)

bufc99
-17th May 2003, 15:28
If I get a decent Summer Job and earn enough, then in September before I move back to Uni I'll have a trip down to London to LP and see wot I can afford to get. Hopefully the lot, but I ain't holding my breath.

Hudson
-17th May 2003, 16:46
When you go in make sure to take the exact amount of cash. Barry has this sixth sence, were he can tell if you have a credit card or debit card with lots of credit on, then leeds you past all the nice shiny expensive thing, so you can go "I might just need that. Barry just add this on please"
I know these things. Happened to me. :grin:

Moose
-17th May 2003, 16:54
Please don't remind me Hudson, my switch card still hasnt forgiven me...

bufc99
-17th May 2003, 16:55
Have no fears, my debit card never has any money on it, I'm a student. Unluckily for Barry I'm not that easily tempted by shiny things when I've got a shopping list already. Though the new thing that straps to your arm and plugs into your sword and tells you if a hit would have registered or not looks interesting.

Hudson
-17th May 2003, 16:58
They work quite well. Thats one, well 4 of the shiny thing i bought when i was last in the shop. Still waiting for my club to pay me back :(

bufc99
-17th May 2003, 17:03
unfortunatly we on;y have 3 bixes out usually so i thought it might be helpful when i don't get a box. As for club's pyaing you back, do what i did, I'm gonna be on the committee next yr so I can claim the moeny myself, I just need one other signature whcih I can easily get.

Hudson
-17th May 2003, 17:06
Not some much being on the committee (I'm already on it)
It's getting hold of the other members. Were never all around at the same time, even on club nights.

bufc99
-17th May 2003, 17:10
That can be a problem. This year we had a committee (supposedly) but they didn't actualy do anything. I've had a look at the club's current account and there's been no transactions listed since august 2002. However, we have ppl willing to do stuff this coming year so it should be a bit better.

Jambo
-17th May 2003, 18:59
bufc99: Are you doing the ALP? You do have a team and it is being run cos I know your Mens captain. It's all threatening to fall apart next year. If you want to keep BIrmingham fencing going then your gonna need to sort it for next year.

bufc99
-17th May 2003, 19:39
Don't wory Jambo. There's a few of us that are willing to be the committee next year so it's getting there slowly. I found an interest list in the cupboard form the fresher's fayre with my name onit, no-one had even bothered to contact me, that's how little has been done by the current committee.

I did the ALP course to start with but now do the club nigth on a thursday, the ALP course is seperate from us as it's run by the Uni sportts centre, although we're lookin to increase our ties with that and Birmingham Fencing Club. I'm meeting ppl on wednesday to sort some of it out.

Jambo
-18th May 2003, 11:05
Ah, good stuff. As long as the club/team doesnt die out. Particualrly when you have such a nice big open down there!!

bufc99
-18th May 2003, 12:17
Don't worry, I don't intend to let the Uni club die out cos I enjoy it too much.

Cheetara
-18th May 2003, 12:30
Just beware, enjoyable as running a uni club is, don't let it take over your life,degree, friends, lovelife,cv,...

Or maybe you're more disciplined than me and can actually manage your time rather than post messages to here when you ought to be finishing coursework that needs to be handed in tomorrow :(

bufc99
-18th May 2003, 13:12
I will help runi t but i won't let it take oer my life. Then again, I can't be that disiplined cos my first exam's tommorrow and I'm avoiding revision in as many wasys as possble. Hell we even cleaned teh ktichen the other day to avoid revision.:eek:

Cheetara
-18th May 2003, 13:20
Not that having your life taken over is a bad thing...

Beats coursework & revision

but cleaning the kitchen's possibly taking work avoidance a little too far

bufc99
-18th May 2003, 13:32
but cleaning the kitchen's possibly taking work avoidance a little too far

We thougt so but i really was a ****hole an dwe've got an inspection next week.

Cheetara
-18th May 2003, 13:44
I've never lived somewhere with inspections, but in halls in my first yr (self catering) one of the kitchens had maggots (all male kitchen) I don't really understand how, they lived on take away pizza!

bufc99
-18th May 2003, 14:45
THis is in self-catered halls,, cos I'm in my 1st yr. There's 5 blokes in one flat, hence the hygiene's nothing particularly impressive.

If it don't kill you it'll onyl make you stronger, or so they say.

Cheetara
-18th May 2003, 14:53
Have any got girlfriends that stay over lots? I've found that in general couples are worse than single people at cleaning up after themselves. (I'm in my 5th year at uni for my sins). They tend to cook properly, using all the pans available and leave them dirty. all over the kitchen.

PS (there a thread on chit chat if you fancy transferring)

Moose
-18th May 2003, 19:18
I's have to say that couples are better and worse, when I'm alone I often dont even bother to make the bed (usually cos I get up late and need to rush to work) however my ex was mad about making me clean up. However there were some (unmentionable) things that we both just let build up.

Mantis
-19th May 2003, 16:18
Originally posted by Cheetara
... enjoyable as running a uni club is ...

Sorry, Cheetara, did you write this??? I think you must have a short term memory problem. ;)

Bye,

Joe

randomsabreur
-20th May 2003, 13:54
We have no transactions because we didn't have access to it coz our supposed committee disappeared over the summer!!

Am still waiting to get paid back by club for stuff I paid for on my card!

nessyfencer
-4th April 2005, 19:36
Originally posted by bydande
BF guidelines for clothing from 1st January 2006 can be found at:
http://www.britishfencing.com/safetystandards.htm

But to summarise the guidelines will be:
- if you only fence with practice foils (adult or child)
or are a child fencing electric with a short weapon (<size 3 blade)
then all 350N kit is acceptable
- if you are an adult fencing electric at a not A grade event then you can get away with a 350N jacket and breeches but you need an 800N plastron
- If you intend to compete at the higher levels (A Grades etc etc) you need all 800N clothing and a 1600n mask.

Sorry to bring an old post back to life here but 2006 is aproaching n I want to make sure I'm kitted out properly. I'm confused after reading this bydande - even though it is probably right - but does this mean that you can fence in an open with 350N kit and an 800N plastron? I thought no and everyone I have spoken to thinks no, you need 800N jacket, plastron, breeches and 1600N mask.

Maybe I'm just reading your post and the attachment wrong.

D'Artignan
-4th April 2005, 20:13
Originally posted by nessyfencer
you can fence in an open with 350N kit and an 800N plastron I take it to mean the above, but there are plenty of peeps on the forum who'll know better than I

nessyfencer
-4th April 2005, 20:42
Well I hope that is the case then.

rpryer
-5th April 2005, 06:19
All 800N kit is only required for FIE competitions - 350N jacket and breeches are fine for UK opens.

Teme
-5th April 2005, 06:47
It's better to err on the safe side...I mean...take the highest newtonage you can afford -- people are going to try to hit you with steel rods, you know.

nessyfencer
-5th April 2005, 09:43
Originally posted by Teme
It's better to err on the safe side...I mean...take the highest newtonage you can afford -- people are going to try to hit you with steel rods, you know.

Yeah, but the point is I have kit and don't want to buy new kit before there is anything wrong with my old stuff. Besides - there is nothing wrong with 350N.

Thanks rpryer.