PDA

View Full Version : Cartoon and television Swords

pTeppic
-17th May 2003, 16:42
It has finally come that we should discuss that most solemn of fencing topics. Was a little unsure of where to place this one but thought (with tounge in cheek) that it should defiantely go in the armoury section.

Which cartoon (or television or movie) sword would you most like to have piste-side when faced with your arch nemisis?

I would like to open the bidding with the sword of Omens. Possibly the only blade with a better construction quality than a PBT LM (remember - I'm a sabourer).

Comments and suggestions please.

Hudson
-17th May 2003, 16:59
I've said it before and i'll say it again. It can only be the sword of Greyskull
"I have the power"

Or Touche Turtle http://www.cartoonnetworkla.com/english/boomerang/images/touche_image.gif

Moose
-17th May 2003, 17:07
It quite simply would have to be Excalibur, was there really ever a choice?

bufc99
-17th May 2003, 17:08
I'm gonna have to say the same as befroe I thnk. The sword of omens, kick's a**. It would beat any other cartoon sword out there.

James
-17th May 2003, 17:23
the scythe of the disc world's DEATH
the blue haze instead of a blade would no doubt be quite disconcerting for the opposition

Hudson
-17th May 2003, 19:22
Or how about the sword of death from discworld?

pTeppic
-17th May 2003, 19:30
Oh dear,

As a Discworld fan - you've now got me in a bit of a tiz. Although technically speaking, Death's sword is not a cartoon, TV or movie sword and hence does not qualify.

Although I have just checked my copy of Soul Music and it appears in the flashback sequence *damn*.

I'm still disqualifying it on the basis that it puts me between Iraq and a hard place and that it's not of media origin.

Kian :drink: (Escaped)

Hudson
-17th May 2003, 19:34
I knew i'd seen it in the cartoon version of Soul Music last time i watched it.

The Second Muse
-21st May 2003, 21:03
I would most definately wield inu yasha's tetsusaiga. Old as it may be, it is the best of the katanas.

ceprab
-21st May 2003, 22:59
One word: Lightsabre

pTeppic
-21st May 2003, 23:02
Humm, if we're expaning out how about Connor Mcleod's katana?

Hiding French accent with pseudo-Scottish : "There can be only one"

That would be fun to play with.

Moose
-22nd May 2003, 06:40
Nah, Kurgan's multipart greatsword from Highlander <drools>

randomsabreur
-22nd May 2003, 13:00
I thought Highlander (Films + TV Series) had some pretty good looking swords.

Alternatively a lightsabre

Anyone else like the music in Highlander?

Mantis
-22nd May 2003, 13:35
How about the singing sword from 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit?'? Actually, I'd want my arch-nemesis to have that one, while I have Inigo Montoyas sword, simple because it is supposed to be one of the finest swords ever made.

While on the subject of sword-fighting in films, did anyone else notice in 'The Fellowship of the Ring' when Boromir (or Aragorn, I cannot remember which) is teaching Merry and Pippin to fight he calls out "two-one-five" while they perform parries of seconde, prime and quinte in that order. :)

Bye,

Joe

lazy_cat
-22nd May 2003, 13:44
The sword i'd choose is the one that Wesley Snipe uses in BLADE, hopefully on the basis that it might endow some of Welsey's kung fu expertise on me....??

Moose
-22nd May 2003, 13:44
I'm not 100% sure about that one, it could be in referrence to the 8 parrys/attacks you learn when you do stage fighting.

Mantis
-22nd May 2003, 13:49
... which I would guess correspond to the 8 parries used in real fencing. In America they don't use the archaic French as much as we do, so the parries are called one through to eight.

Bye,

Joe

randomsabreur
-22nd May 2003, 13:55
Also the instructions given in the Mask of Zorro.

Just don't give any of our coaches a whip please.

It should be banned otherwise they would get ideas!:eek:

Moose
-22nd May 2003, 14:15
Originally posted by Mantis
... which I would guess correspond to the 8 parries used in real fencing. In America they don't use the archaic French as much as we do, so the parries are called one through to eight.

Bye,

Joe

The stage parries are numbered from top down as in, 1 o'clock, 11 o'clock, 12 o'clock, 3 o'clock, 9 o'clock, 5 o'clock. 7 o'clock, 6 o'clock.

pTeppic
-22nd May 2003, 14:49
Originally posted by randomsabreur
I thought Highlander (Films + TV Series) had some pretty good looking swords.

Alternatively a lightsabre

Anyone else like the music in Highlander?

Hell yes - I'm probably the biggest Queen fan on the forum. You just can't compete with it.

Prince of the Universe for the opening theme.
Who Wants To Live Forever?
Gimme the Prize
*Briefly* Hammer to Fall.
Don't Lose Your Head.
And "It's a Kind of Magic".

Ohhhh.....
I'm going to go and watch it again on DVD. See you ina few hours.

Kian
(Director of invisiTEX)

Cheetara
-22nd May 2003, 15:20
Big highlander fan here. I would love the sword that was forged in Japan I think, folded over and over and over again. It was Macleod's wasn't it? 2nd film?

Can't remember

Anyway coolest film music too

Saxon
-22nd May 2003, 15:27
It was in the first film, originally belonging to Ramirez, and MacLeod had it from him.

The second film is a bit of a mess, and if I remember right, Connor even manages to swap from his cross-hilt sword to the Japanese one, half way through a fight. A fight which happens AFTER the Japanese sword is squished by a collapsing ventilation fan.

pTeppic
-22nd May 2003, 15:55
Aha - someone who also follows the Highlander discontinuity.

Remeber the one rule...
Continuity does not exist.

1st film makes sense.
2nd film throws out the plot and mystery of first film and *really* shouldn't have been made.
3rd film goes back to almost 1st films plot, ignoring the fact that the 2nd even existed but still making the assumption that Connor didn't *really* win the prize.

1st series - hands over to Duncan to become even more confusing and splits into an alternate version where the gathering is something which happens over several years, possibly longer.

2nd series (Raven - not shown in UK) - just goes wacko.

Any more details - just ask.

Kian Ryan of the clan Ryan,
mentored by Laszlo Jakab - who wouldn't loose his head in any situation and most defiantely would have made a decent cut on the Kurgan, instead of being a bit on the thin side.

Moose
-22nd May 2003, 16:04
Originally posted by pTeppic
Hell yes - I'm probably the biggest Queen fan on the forum. You just can't compete with it.

Ever been to a Queen convention?

Saxon
-22nd May 2003, 17:04
Originally posted by pTeppic
Aha - someone who also follows the Highlander discontinuity.

Kian Ryan of the clan Ryan,
mentored by Laszlo Jakab - who wouldn't loose his head in any situation and most defiantely would have made a decent cut on the Kurgan, instead of being a bit on the thin side.

Sorry mate, I'm not quite that sad :blaaaa: