PDA

View Full Version : Sabre surprises already

tigger
-14th August 2004, 09:33
Few shocks already in the sabre! L32s: Kothny beat Medina, both Touyas out, Kalujny hammered Diatchenko, Lengyel out to Tretiak.

TBennett
-14th August 2004, 10:41
umm.. As I am not a knowledgeable person on Sabre, what nationalities are these people.

Also, What is the order of events in the fencing? It would be nice to see anything in the fencing in the highlights.... I dont have digital/satellite so wont be able to watch any of the fencing...

uk_45
-14th August 2004, 10:53
When is it being shown on the interactive?

tigger
-14th August 2004, 11:08
Can anyone believe this??? Tretiak is on a blinder!

Men's individual sabre - Quarterfinal summary - 14.08.04

(23)Vladislav Tretiak (Ukr) beat
(1)Vladimir Lukashenko (Ukr) (15,12)

(5)Zsolt Nemcsik (Hun) beat
(3)Mihai Covaliu (Rom) (15,14)

(6)Aldo Montano (Ita) beat
(4)Serguei Charikov (Rus) (15,13)

(8)Dmitri Lapkes (Blr) beat
(2)Stanislav Pozdniakov (Rus) (15,9)

Men's individual sabre - Round of 16 summary - 14.08.04

(1)Vladimir Lukashenko (Ukr) beat
(17)Wiradech Kothny (Tha) (15,11)

(23)Vladislav Tretiak (Ukr) beat
(7)Luigi Tarantino (Ita) (15,8)

(5)Zsolt Nemcsik (Hun) beat
(11)Domonkos Ferjancsik (Hun) (15,11)

(3)Mihai Covaliu (Rom) beat
(19)Rafal Sznajder (Pol) (15,9)

(4)Serguei Charikov (Rus) beat
(13)Julien Pillet (Fra) (15,11)

(6)Aldo Montano (Ita) beat
(21)Keeth Smart (USA) (15,7)

(8)Dmitri Lapkes (Blr) beat
(24)Vladimir Kalujny (Ukr) (15,9)

(2)Stanislav Pozdniakov (Rus) beat
(16)Ivan Lee (USA) (15,9)

tigger
-14th August 2004, 11:09
I've been told that the bronze and gold medal matches are on interactive at 5ish

Australian
-14th August 2004, 11:41
Originally posted by tigger
Can anyone believe this??? Tretiak is on a blinder!

amazing.... huge effort

gbm
-14th August 2004, 11:59
those L8 results are absolute madness...
Now all we need is for Richard and Louise to do a Tretiak!

fencingmaster
-14th August 2004, 12:37
Please correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm not referring only to the sabre mentioned here. Is the format for the Olympics incomplete tableaus of 64 or 32 - and I'm sure that some fencers start in the L16. So win two fights and be in a medal position? Considering also the regional qualification could put some people in such a tableau that they might not achieve at a World Championships. I'm sadly and reluctantly coming to the conclusion that an Olympic medal may be a lesser achievement than a World Championship medal (albeit that both are great achievements).

gbm
-14th August 2004, 13:41
Even if you started in the L16, you would have to win the L16, and the L8 fight to get into the L4, and then you would have to either win the L4 fight or lose that and win the bronze medal fight to get a medal, so you would need at least 3 DE's?

mendacious dog
-14th August 2004, 14:12
Hmmm, if I had been asked to predict the results of the four L8 fights it seems I would probably have got at least three of 'em wrong. I cant believe (after watching both Lapkes and Pozdniakov fence this season) that Stan the man lost by six!

Goes to show you never can tell - thanks for the rapid reporting Tiggs!

;)

Exgeordielass
-14th August 2004, 15:58
http://www.athens2004.com/en/FencingMen/results?rsc=FEM003301&frag=FEM003301_C73I

Found this site interesting. It has the breakdown of scores through the three rounds for all fights up to the quarterfinals.

No sign of fencing on the schedule for the interactive BBC service.
:upset:

3 Card Trick
-14th August 2004, 16:40
The format is an incomplete L64 (in the MS anyway). The draws are all available now through the FIE website.

Can't believe the L8. I picked the wrong one for every fight.

So (with apologies to the Italian) I think he'll win.

Haleth
-14th August 2004, 16:44
Thats such unfair, there are only two telestation, which transfer the Olympic games, and non of them showed fencing today.
I hope that is true, the videotext of one says,that they will rediate the semifinal und final at night,today.
I will be very dissapointed, if I donīt watch it...

clockity
-14th August 2004, 17:11
Originally posted by Exgeordielass
No sign of fencing on the schedule for the interactive BBC service.
:upset:

I think British Eurosport have coverage this evening 11:15 pm - 12:15 am. Nothing on the BBC interactive schedules for fencing all week long.

tigger
-14th August 2004, 17:47
Sanity restored in the L4 -
1st Montano
2nd Nemscik
3rd Tretiak
4th Lapkes
5th Lukashenko
6th Podzniakov
7th Covaliu
8th Charikov

Anyone else remember the last time the 1, 2, 3 and 4 seeds all went out in the L8!?

Lucky I didn't punt £10 on a Tarantino Vs Podzniakov final then!

gbm
-14th August 2004, 19:03
From here:
http://www.athens2004.com/en/resultsFencing/results?oid=a4c3c63356e5ef00VgnVCM4000002b130c0aRC RD&dcpnews=1&rsc=FE0000000

"Men's Individual Sabre : Comments from MONTANO and NEMCSIK 14 Aug. 2004

ATHENS, 14 August - Comments from gold medallist Aldo MONTANO (ITA) and silver medallist Zsolt NEMCSIK (HUN) in the Men's Individual Sabre.

Aldo MONTANO (ITA) - gold medallist

On winning the gold medal:
"I'm living a dream. From the day I was born, I've been waiting for this moment and I've been working up to this very moment."

On his personal achievement:
"I canít believe that this has happened. I couldn't imagine that something like this would occur in my career although since this morning I had a feeling that I would do well, but not to the point where I would win a gold medal."

On his performance:
"I was placed in a very difficult position, losing 14-13, but I found the will to win this medal for Italy."

Zsolt NEMCSIK (HUN) - silver medallist
On his loss:
"I was in control of the first half of the game. During the second half, the Italian relied more on defensive tactics and he expected me to attack. This in a way, confused matters and changed the final result. I don't want to say anything too detrimental because I am stlll vividly living the game, but I do believe that the Italian team from the very beginning pressured the referee and thus affected the result.""

Bad loser?

gbm
-14th August 2004, 19:13
From the same site, a news story from yesterday:

"ATHENS, 13 August - The World's number one and two are the top favourites for the opening event of the Olympic Fencing tournament.

Vladimir LUKASHENKO (UKR) and Stanislav POZDNIAKOV (RUS) will both fight for one of the first gold medals at the 2004 Games. LUKASHENKO is the current World Champion, POZDNIAKOV won in 2001 and 2002 the World Championships.

There will be some other fencers challenging them. For example, Sydney 2000 gold medallist Mihai COVALIU (ROM), currently number three in the FIE (International Fencing Federation) World Ranking, will do his best to defend his Olympic title.

Sydney 2000 bronze medal winner Wiradech KOTHNY (THA), is taking part but this time he will be under the flag of his native country, Thailand. At the Sydney 2000 Games, he was competing for Germany, the country where he grew up. He went back to his home country to study and increase the interest of Fencing in Thailand. His opening bout on Saturday, 14 August, will be against Fernando MEDINA (ESP).

The French and Italian sabre fencers also bare watching.

Julien PILLET (FRA), won the silver medal at the World Championships in 2001 and 2002. He and the two TOUYA brothers, Gael and Damien from France could challenge the top favourites.

Participation of Greek fencers starts with Jason DOURAKOS who faces Hanming ZHOU of China and his Greek teammate Constatine MANETAS faces Mashasi NAGARA of Japan while Marios BASMATZIAN with take on Raouf Salim BERNAOUI (ALG).

The Men's Sabre event at the Olympic Games will be a new experience for Sorel-Arthur KEMBE (CGO). He qualified through the continental qualification and it's his first appearence at the Olympic Games. His first bout against Candido Alberto AMAYA CAMEJO (CUB) will not be easy, but whoever wins that, will have to do more than just the best against Serguei CHARIKOV (RUS) - current number four in the world."

Notice that out of the 17(?) names they mention, not one got into the L4...

hokers
-14th August 2004, 23:37
Nemcsik has a good point. I thought that a) Montano pressured the president a lot, lots of arguing, criticising decisions by looking dramatically shocked, messing about with equipment etc. and b) was very fortunate to be given the hit for 14-14.

I seriously think James Chambers (eurosport commentator) should be banned from commentating, as he CONSTANTLY made mistakes, explained things badly, moaned about not being able to see the lights, and generally talked rubbish. The effect is that to the casual observer, the sport appears so complex even the commentators don't understand it. If only you could mute the commentary without losing the rest of the sound...

jgolby
-14th August 2004, 23:51
totaly agree with the above.

Montano was very cockey from the start and all the way through and was very unsporting but i supose winning is winning.

Also it sounded as if Chambers had only just learned the rules half an hour ago, i could see he was trying to explain the match to anyone who wasnt a fencer but to be honest only fencers would stay up to watch it.

A very tense final though. more to come too!

VeeSix
-15th August 2004, 07:24
Watching the mens Sabre finals on Eurosport, I found it refreshing/amusing to see that even at that level of competition. that the fencers a) disagreed with the president, b) had to stop and tie their shoelaces, c)had to change bodywires or have adjustments made to their weapons or kit.

All of these things happen regularly on the local and national fencing circuits and both my son & I have had them happen to us or our opponents - as no doubt has everyone else. Nice to see that that even the mightiest have their problems on the piste.

I did like the idea of having someone to wheel in your bag right up to the piste for you though.

And how much do these light up masks cost? ..............WoW!
:sabre:

gbm
-15th August 2004, 11:08
Originally posted by VeeSix
Watching the mens Sabre finals on Eurosport, I found it refreshing/amusing to see that even at that level of competition. that the fencers a) disagreed with the president, b) had to stop and tie their shoelaces, c)had to change bodywires or have adjustments made to their weapons or kit.

To be honest, while I haven't got Eurosport so I didn't watch it, I think this kind of unprofessionalism will put people off the sport. The FIE should be tougher.

reposte
-15th August 2004, 11:23
I'm very happy with the refereeing.
I think Nemcik simply lost concentration on the secon half.
He constantly lost tempo in his attacks, and in simultaneous lunges he did gave a compound hand movement when Montano simply thrust his hand forwards, although I would have been happier that more of these would have been called as simultaneous , but I can't say the ref made any mistakes, any of them, Kim or the Romanian one .

Is there a web cam btw? I was told that the events could be watched on the web but I can't seem to find it...

pinkelephant
-15th August 2004, 11:35
I hardly think it's fair to blame Montano for sweating so much that his glove was registering and had to be taped up to insulate it - something that James Chambers never did latch on to. As for the body wire, SEMI were there with their test box, so must have found something wrong.

uk_45
-15th August 2004, 11:36
Web cam would be good.

Does any one know if a dvd/video of the bouts will be coming out(hint hint LP we want to give you money)

Steve
-15th August 2004, 11:44
Originally posted by hokers
I seriously think James Chambers (eurosport commentator) should be banned from commentating, as he CONSTANTLY made mistakes, explained things badly, moaned about not being able to see the lights, and generally talked rubbish. The effect is that to the casual observer, the sport appears so complex even the commentators don't understand it. If only you could mute the commentary without losing the rest of the sound...
I completely agree, the commentry was absolutely shocking... he was still in a muddle about what happened in a particular sequence one or two points afterwards... and that happened a few times!
He made a complete mess of explaining the rules and anyone who didn't fence would have been completely lost!
The coverage itself wasn't all that bad, there were some nice slow-motion shots which showed some of the subtleties of top-class sabre. And congrats to Eurosport for showing a full hour of fencing, as far as I can see the BBC aren't even giving it a mention on their coverage.
Overall it was nice to see some fencing on tv for a change, just a shame about the commentry

thedoc
-15th August 2004, 12:16
the lack of quality in james chamber's commentary is legendary. he has been doing it for years and still doesn't get any better. i have seen two videos that are about six or seven years apart and his commentary is almost word for word the same.

i have also seen a eurosport video where they had a woman whose voice i didn't recognise, but was assured and smooth in her delivery and sounded like she knew what she was talking about and what was going on, it was a breath of fresh air.

you would at least expect a former president of the bfa to at least know the rules and have some idea what is going on.

mute button is your friend.

doobarz
-15th August 2004, 15:45
Originally posted by uk_45
Does any one know if a dvd/video of the bouts will be coming out(hint hint LP we want to give you money)

I got WC DVDs from Fencing.net, from a company called Fencing Fils (I think) I believe they are Dutch, but quite good - and the commentry is good and well informed.

uk_45
-15th August 2004, 15:47
Will have to take alook then whats the camera posistion like?

doobarz
-15th August 2004, 15:48
Originally posted by uk_45
Will have to take alook then whats the camera posistion like?

Tripod from the audience as I recall, not watched for a while, but good coverage - not centre, but saw everything.

uk_45
-15th August 2004, 15:54
good good will take alook, you say it the ones from fencing.net

doobarz
-15th August 2004, 15:59
http://www.fencing101.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=57&osCsid=124c44975ecf08035924cba468c42419

Is the Men's one - ther eis a clip you can watch.

Steve
-15th August 2004, 16:15
There's about four different camera angles, including side-on, overhead, and one looking from one end of the piste