PDA

View Full Version : Moan at the BBC here!

hokers
-16th August 2004, 13:01
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics_2004/3539650.stm

I've just complained about the total lack of fencing coverage, compared to a hell of a lot of beach volleyball, despite us having no representation..

Boo Boo
-16th August 2004, 13:05
Would have been nice to have had a photo of Richard (rather than Cassara) too...

Boo

uk_45
-16th August 2004, 13:07
Yeah they don;t seem to understand how will richard did 8 against the number 1 seed was amazing even more so as kruse was seeded 24!

Tarmac
-16th August 2004, 14:04
well, gave them my opinion whether they wanted it or not.. for what its worth..

uk_45
-16th August 2004, 14:31
Result: http://fencingforum.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2729 richard is on 4:25 bbc1

sparkymark567
-16th August 2004, 14:35
Well, I did mail them as suggested. Do you really think we had any affect on the schedule?

uk_45
-16th August 2004, 14:39
Would like to think so, i mailed to and pointed out exactly how well he did and that it was like a 1st devision footy team going against a top the top of the premirship and he did well.

Anthrakas
-16th August 2004, 20:35
Dissapointed with BBC... They neglected fencing in the last olympics and I thought this year with the interactive programs they will have some coverage of the sport.

Sad indeed...

uk_45
-16th August 2004, 20:37
Nah they showed us get a 9th place out of 10 in weight lifting rather than a 8th place out 36

rpryer
-16th August 2004, 20:50
Perhaps because weightlifting is easier to understand, plus the human interest of the PE teacher in what may be seen as an unusual sport for women.

Fencing takes a bit longer to explain, plus some slow-mo to show it clearly if you are not used to watching it.

uk_45
-16th August 2004, 20:55
Ok good point and taken, was a wee bit annoyed that they showed the same interview twice

wingnutLP
-17th August 2004, 07:47
I am not sure that complaining here will help this years scedule by much but if everyone on the forum complains then when they come to analyze the data at the end of the whole thing it may have an effect on 2008 coverage.

Please please if you can spare 2 minutes let the BBC know that you want to see more fencing HERE (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics_2004/3539650.stm).

I saw run downs of the tables for the last 8 and even 16 in sports where the UK didn't even have a competitor last night but not a peep about Richard...

tigger
-17th August 2004, 07:59
Moan has been registered...

katie
-17th August 2004, 08:24
"Extreme dissapointment at the lack of BBC coverage" sent to BBC.

Insipiens
-17th August 2004, 08:39
I agree with WingnutLP and have registered my disappointment. It does seem that there is an extraordinary focus on swimming/diving etc to the exclusion of most of the sports where Britain has competitors, especially if those competitors did not win a medal last time.

hokers
-17th August 2004, 12:38
You can also call 08700 100 222 to moan, and they log the call and apparently pass them on to the scheduling department.

hokers
-18th August 2004, 11:06
You can also complain about the Eurosport commentary here:
mailto:commentary@eurosport.co.uk

And the schedule (No men's foil?!? Or Women's Sabre?) here:
mailto:comheadoffice@eurosport.co.uk

Seriously, if we let them get away with this, they'll just do it again next time.

Eddie
-20th August 2004, 18:19
I originally wrote
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
some one has written into metro asking why they haven't seen anything of the fencing being covered by the bbc

considering the amount of emails Metro get every day it shows some one has seen fit to recognise that fencing is a cool sport to watch and printed it.

Now would be a perfect time for people to write in asking about fencing being shown..might make the bbc take notice..and certainly can't hurt but it will certainly draw attention to the fact that people do actually like the sport.

Eddie
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
but hokers told me to post it here

anyway any one who wishes to write to metro newspaper can do so
the address is

mail@ukmetro.co.uk

they will most likely print any emails that follow up something that has been printed on their letters page

hokers
-20th August 2004, 19:31
I meant that you could complain to the BBC as described above, but this'll work as well :)

doobarz
-21st August 2004, 09:35
After the lack of MF footage, I e-mailed the BBC, and I understand there was a bit more coverage of Louise BW and a couple of interviews including Keith Smith, so it looks liek the BBC do listen to the humble licence payer...