PDA

View Full Version : Sending blades through the post

Mantis
-19th May 2003, 12:08
I have just posted off a blade to Leon Paul to be re-wired and there was a small problem because the Post Office do not like delivering certain item. When I said it was a blade from a sword he went and looked up in his book about what to do with sharp objects, even though I told him it was not sharp and used for sport. Anyway, in the end he let me send it.

How do people normally send blades through the post? Have other people come up against this problem? If I had said it was a strip of metal used for fencing do you think he would have let it pass without question?

Bye,

Joe

Demonic
-19th May 2003, 13:09
To be honest ive never sent or recieved blades in the post,as far as rewiring go,s i always do it myself its easy when u get to grips with it all.
Anyway back to the question in hand how did u send it? was it royal mail or parcel force as i get sent real display broad swords from the states which sometimes do have sharp blades and never had complaints.

probably the postman being an arse in my opinion :tongue:

'there can be only one'

Mantis
-19th May 2003, 13:37
I sent it normal first class, which is possibly part of the problem. I don't think the postman was being awkward, it was just the he had probably not come across anyone wanting to send a blade before.

Yes, I should learn how to wire my own blades - whatever you might say about the LP V-shaped epee blades, they couldn't really have made it much easier to re-wire. However, the last one I did had to be re-done by the armourer at a competition, so what does that say about me? ;)
Bye,

Joe

'there can be only one'

"Don't lose your head" (from the Highlander soundtrack)

Hudson
-19th May 2003, 16:04
Re-wiring a blade is easy, it's been talked through on another thread in the Armourer section of the forum.

Demonic
-19th May 2003, 16:14
I was lucky i guess when i was younger i worked at blades for a week and malcom showed me what to do.
I think the best advice i can give is dont hurry make sure u have lots of space and also make sure the blade is clean (this can take some time)

'there can be only one'

twohappyhippos
-19th May 2003, 17:06
shhh your making people (maybe like me!) who dont know how to re-wire an epee really stupid!!! lol.

Demonic
-19th May 2003, 17:09
yeah i better keep quite or i might end up as the club armourer lol:tongue:

Hudson
-19th May 2003, 17:58
Don't worry we don't think your stupid, in fact your pretty smart when i comes to getting your weapons fixed if i remember. You charm other people into doing it for you :grin:

twohappyhippos
-19th May 2003, 18:15
dam, howd u work it out? its just that sometimes people cant help but to be nice to a helpless little blonde epeeist who doesnt know how to fix her weapons! hehehe.
why is it that at club my weapons alllllllllllways work then at comps they always fail?

stevejackson
-19th May 2003, 18:37
Originally posted by twohappyhippos

why is it that at club my weapons alllllllllllways work then at comps they always fail?

The curse of the Armourers?

Alternatively the same reason that when ever I'm given a duff spool I put it in the boot of my car leave it there all week and when I return it, it works perfectly for me but imeadiately I come off the box it stops working allegedly.

Hudson
-19th May 2003, 19:42
I know that's what you do cause you've done it to me. God bless club armourers, we're much under rated till time for a comp.

Rdb811
-20th May 2003, 00:00
Originally posted by Hudson
Re-wiring a blade is easy, it's been talked through on another thread in the Armourer section of the forum.

Corpses, head explodes ...

It's the late on a Friday night part when you realise that Leon Paul wires do not fit Duellist coverings and it's time to pack and give the flexible fiend a battering on a new weapon.

There's only one way to rewire an epee blade ...

Aoife
-24th May 2003, 15:07
<dragging the post back on topic... the opposite of my normal behaviour>

I recieved a whole sword through the post a couple of months ago from Gofence. I was packaged in cardboard, a triangular prism around the blade, and a sort of octagonal one around the guard and handle. The postman who delivered it was rather bemused, but I didn't get a problem recieving it- I don't know if there was one posting it.

oiuyt
-24th May 2003, 19:19
Easy, you're not sending a blade or a sword, you're sending "sporting equipment". Works well with airport security also. Why use a word that they're going to misinterpret rather than one that is every bit as accurate and won't raise an eyebrow?

-B :)

Aoife
-25th May 2003, 17:59
Easy, you're not sending a blade or a sword, you're sending "sporting equipment".

That was my main argument all those weeks I took my kit to school before I had a bag.

"No, I'm not carrying a sword down the street- I'm carrying sports equipment"

Hudson
-25th May 2003, 18:02
read in the paper a woman got stopped by police because her young son had a toy sword in the back of her car and unless she put it in the boot they would charge her.

Aoife
-25th May 2003, 18:44
That's just ridiculous!

(mind you, I have a thing about toy guns in public, so I probably can't talk... :) )

Hudson
-25th May 2003, 18:46
ridiculous but true.

bufc99
-25th May 2003, 19:16
I've had the same trouble about carrying my foil ruond, on my way to a club session i was stopped by police. It took nearly 10 misn for me to convince them it wasn't sharp, eventually i did it by giving it to them and saying stab me once i'd put on a jacket i'd borrowed from the club the previous week.

Hudson
-25th May 2003, 19:18
there really are some daft people around out there.
read today about a traffice warden who gave a parking ticket to a rabbit hutch that had just been unloaded outside a pet shop.

bufc99
-25th May 2003, 19:20
u wot, he gave a ticket to the hutch. What did he say, 'Excuse me Mr Floppy Ears but please can you move your hutch or i'm going to have to give you a ticket.'

Hudson
-25th May 2003, 19:25
the owner had parked on a single yellow to unload, went and parked in a carpark over the road, came back and warden said he'd been parked 4mins to long so tried to give him a ticket. when he wouldn't take it, tried to give it to a boy that was there about a job in the shop. When he wouldn't take it they stuck it on the hutch as it was still on the yellow line.

Tubby
-26th May 2003, 22:49
Had a foil delivered in a long tube from LP. The tip was wrapped in triangular cardboard and bubble wrap around the guard. I had sent LP a custom grip to build a foil around it, all done via Royal Mail (recorded delivery going) and Parcel Force coming back.

Hey Barry do I get discount for the plug?
:grin:

Rdb811
-26th May 2003, 22:57
Originally posted by bufc99
I've had the same trouble about carrying my foil ruond, on my way to a club session i was stopped by police. It took nearly 10 misn for me to convince them it wasn't sharp, eventually i did it by giving it to them and saying stab me once i'd put on a jacket i'd borrowed from the club the previous week.

A fencing sword can be construed as an offensive weapon - the usual trick is to stick an old tie over it.

bufc99
-27th May 2003, 15:03
yeah, i suppose it is technically, but the offensive weapns act says theat you are allowed to carry such items in public if for a lwaful or valid reason. i think that going to a training sessin is a valid reason and it was a bag, but the handle (french grip) was stickin out of the end and one of the officers in the car noticed it.

Hudson
-27th May 2003, 15:23
all depends on how picky the police want to be at the time, i find the best option is to just cover the blade with something and if you get stoped be a polite as you can (it realy winds them up) to them and point out that it's for sport and the blade is covered. if they keep on at you just point out that people walk around with ice skates with there really sharpe edge all the time. Worked for me :grin:

Rdb811
-27th May 2003, 15:51
yeah, i suppose it is technically, but the offensive weapns act says theat you are allowed to carry such items in public if for a lwaful or valid reason. i think that going to a training sessin is a valid reason and it was a bag, but the handle (french grip) was stickin out of the end and one of the officers in the car noticed it.

Haven't they got anything better to do ?

doobarz
-27th May 2003, 17:35
The tie is good. My bag came with a detachable top section which takes the whole weapon.

I found bus drivers don't always like you having a sword on their bus......

Hudson
-27th May 2003, 17:42
bus drivers don't like having golf clubs on there buses so you've got no chance with a sword. (8 miles from the course to town)

bufc99
-27th May 2003, 18:02
Haven't they got anything better to do ?

Apparently not. THough I do live in Edgbaston a quite posh area, so round her ewe don't have a huge ampiunt of crime

Muso440
-27th May 2003, 20:39
ampiunt?

Rdb811
-27th May 2003, 21:26
so round her ewe
Shouldn't this be on the Scottish thread.?

bufc99
-27th May 2003, 22:46
Sorry peeps, I'd had a bit to drink that night, 'ampiunt' is mean to be 'amount' and 'so round her ewe' is mean to be 'so round here we'

Sorry

Dave Hillier
-28th May 2003, 09:37
I used to live in Brum and never saw the bus drivers bat an eye at any thing. This included the local live roleplaying group who regulary used to take the 62 from the uni ladened down with stuff.

Rdb811
-28th May 2003, 10:31
Sorry peeps, I'd had a bit to drink that night, 'ampiunt' is mean to be 'amount' and 'so round her ewe' is mean to be 'so round here we'

Sorry

We gathered. we just thought we'd give you gyp.

Hudson
-28th May 2003, 14:47
did you have a good night though or was it a waisted effort that only resulted in grief from your fellow fencers on you drunken typing ability?