PDA

View Full Version : Video Footage

ChubbyHubby
-15th September 2004, 10:34
Finally had time to start sorting out the footage Gav sent me.

Apart from some tidying up to allow for seeking in most of the clips, they are the original files. MFT and MST are now ready. Be prepared to sit through some cycling on the MST though...

What do you need
The format is wmv which means you will need Windows Media Player to play them.

There are no plans to convert to mpeg or avi as the files will more than double in size.

As they are they are about 600Mb each, so modem users need not apply...

How can you get your hands on it
Due to the filesize I need to keep an eye on my server bandwidth, if I go over my limit it is 4 per Gb! I am planning to use spare bandwidth on the company webservers.

So I'll be compiling a waiting list and letting people have the footage as bandwidth capacity allows.

How will this work? The techie, geeky bit...
We will be using an online storage provider Xdrive. Footage will be uploaded there for download. I am not using FTP as doing this way minimises exposure of IP addresses etc.

What we need is a number of Xdrive accounts to put the footage on to. We can't just put it on one as the account will be shut down for using too much bandwidth.

Xdrive provides online storage at reasonable prices. BUT they are offering a free trial. This is what we can take advantage of, so if you have no use for the account after this just cancel and it doesn't cost you anything. (No, I don't work for Xdrive, but I do get a small commission if you sign up)

The idea is that if I upload 10 copies to 10 xdrive accounts and 10 people download from each account, 100 people get the footage but I'll only have used "10 people's worth" of bandwidth on my servers.

How can I get on the waiting list?

1. PM me indicating interest (including which weapon)
2. Indicate if you are will to sign up to Xdrive
3. If you are, then sign up to xdrive and let me have your account details. Sign up for the free trial workgroup account by clicking here (http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-1500017-10306222)

I will then put the people who have signed up for a Xdrive account at the top of the list.

Each time I have spare bandwidth I'll upload the files to a Xdrive account and let 9 non-xdrive people know.

Sounds over complicated? It probably is. But it is the only way for me to control bandwidth while ensuring the largest number of people get the footage.

http://www.awltovhc.com/image-1500017-10306222

reposte
-15th September 2004, 13:35
what is the cost of a MTF download for a regular user?

ChubbyHubby
-15th September 2004, 13:37
There is no cost for anyone.

You are getting a free account with xdrive. It will only cost you money if you decide to keep the account and use it for something else like off-site backups etc.

If you don't want to join, all it means is that you have a longer wait before you get your hands on the footage.

Threestain
-15th September 2004, 15:39
Is there any footage for any of the epee? or individuals? other than that I think I am up for it and will take a look.

ChubbyHubby
-15th September 2004, 15:56
Yes, and WS too. Yet to upload it to my server though, but by the time you sort out the xdrive account, it should be fine.

Gav
-15th September 2004, 16:48
Threestain
I think that ChubbyHubby will be able to provide ME individual. It is interspersed with WS...

CH:

I tried editing the MST to get rid of the cycling with no success. Not sure what causes the problems when I attempt it.

In addition to everyone:

Yes you will need Windows Media Player. If you are using older versions of windos 98 and 2000 then make sure you upgrade to the latest version.

If anyone knows of a [smallish sized] media player that will play ASF files then please let me know.

ChubbyHubby
-15th September 2004, 17:15
If anyone knows of a [smallish sized] media player that will play ASF files then please let me know.

If they have the bandwidth to download the files, Windows Media Player is not that bad to download.

With regards to the cycling before the MST, tried all sorts but no luck either. Have trouble making that one seekable too, so you can't even fast forward it.

gbm
-15th September 2004, 19:43
I find Media Player Classic will play anything if I have the right codec...
It is included with Quicktime Alternative (which is a Quicktime codec) and Real Alternative (a Real Player codec), which can be found:
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/QuickTime_Alternative.htm
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm
They also have plugins for Opera, Netscape and Mozilla (which is cool....)
I think this is an WMV codec (at the bottom):
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/format/codecdownload.aspx
And this would appear to be an ASF codec...
http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/11/2/2/11-2-2-67.shtml
The last two codecs together come to less than 1 MB, so if you already have some sort of media player, that should probably be all you need (if they are the right codecs, I haven't checked).

Of course, if you don't mind downloading 7MB, you can download the Nimo Codec pack (below) and have every codec under the sun...
http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/11/2/2/11-2-2-12.shtml

I have never found anything Media Player Classic won't play.

ChubbyHubby
-15th September 2004, 22:46
Just download the Microsoft one! Then you *know* it will work. If you are worried about download time, you don't have the bandwidth to download the footage anyway!

Gav
-16th September 2004, 08:38
I have never found anything Media Player Classic won't play.

Broadly true however it won't play a lot of recent WMV or ASF files. The Microsoft codec isn't included. As much as I hate to say this, if someone is not technically minded then they should just get the lastest Media Player from MS - it'll be easier on them.

Threestain
-16th September 2004, 08:50
I have tried, unsuccessfully, to set up an xdrive account (blasted IE crashed just after credit details were entered... GRR!) but am in mid process of sorting it now.

I think VLC www.videolan.org plays virtually everything, and is a darn bit smaller than microsoft media player (which always seems to break). Or just get a mac where everything works! :grin:

Threestain
-16th September 2004, 13:19
Have now sorted the Xdrive account

gbm
-16th September 2004, 20:25
Originally posted by Gav
Broadly true however it won't play a lot of recent WMV or ASF files. The Microsoft codec isn't included. As much as I hate to say this, if someone is not technically minded then they should just get the lastest Media Player from MS - it'll be easier on them.

Since my copy of Windows XP will keep it's silly media thing updated automatically, I don't really know if the links to the codecs I posted will actually work, but if they did you should be able to use just about any media player.

You can run a non-silly version of Windows Media Player in XP (and possibly 2000) by running mplayer2.exe (type mplayer2 into the Run box on the start menu and hit enter, for you non-techie types)...

Threestain
-17th September 2004, 10:18
Juast download vlc it'll run anything (possibly...)

Gav
-17th September 2004, 10:36
Originally posted by goodbadandme
Since my copy of Windows XP will keep it's silly media thing updated automatically, I don't really know if the links to the codecs I posted will actually work, but if they did you should be able to use just about any media player.

You can run a non-silly version of Windows Media Player in XP (and possibly 2000) by running mplayer2.exe (type mplayer2 into the Run box on the start menu and hit enter, for you non-techie types)...

You are correct. However I will restate:

"You are over-complicating things."

doobarz
-17th September 2004, 16:35
Have done all the above - bring on the footage!

Threestain
-17th September 2004, 17:07
Excellent - we need another twenty or thirty accounts though really...

gbm
-17th September 2004, 19:23
Originally posted by Gav
You are correct. However I will restate:

"You are over-complicating things."

Fair enough! :tongue:

ChubbyHubby
-21st September 2004, 08:56
For those of you who have signed up to XDrive, can I have your account details again please. I've stupidly cleared my PM box, and with it your details.

Threestain, did you get the Men's Epee and Womens Sabre okay? Sorry about the cycling, but can't seem to edit it out without damaging the rest of the video stream.

Threestain
-21st September 2004, 09:30
yeah I got the zip files - have to transfer to my housemates pc but all good. any news on the women's epee by any chance?

clockity
-21st September 2004, 10:06
Originally posted by ChubbyHubby
For those of you who have signed up to XDrive, can I have your account details again please. I've stupidly cleared my PM box, and with it your details.

Ok, I have forwarded them to you :)

Gav
-21st September 2004, 10:43
How is the Xdrive account idea working out for everyone? There are a bunch of americans who are looking for this footage as well.

ChubbyHubby
-21st September 2004, 11:10
Getting there slowly, some technical hitches mainly on my end.

But working okay now, other than me deleting everyone's account details in my PM box!

It's a slow process as the upload bandwith is not as fast as I'd expected to xdrive. My server can pump out around 8Mbit/sec but they can only receive at 256bps. So it takes 6 hours to upload 500Mb.

MET and WS is now on one of the accounts though.

Will be doing MFT and MST next.

But we do need more accounts.

Click here (http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-1555011-10306249) to create the account.

They will ask you for your credit card, but you it is a free trial.

Once we are done with the footage, if you have no use for the account just cancel and it won't cost a penny.

The incentive is that people who sign up will get the files first. Once the account owner has the files, the account will be shared with people on the waiting list.

http://www.lduhtrp.net/image-1555011-10306249

Threestain
-21st September 2004, 11:46
By the way its very easy to sort out an account, and doesn't take long - 5 mins

Threestain
-21st September 2004, 21:04
I have just unzipped the footage on my housemates pc, and it plays fine. But it doesn't seek - apparently the whole thing is only 3 mins long (but plays much longer than that) and when I try to speed through the tedious mascot bits it crashes his computer. Anyone got a suggestion.

Apart from burn microsoft to the ground that is?

ChubbyHubby
-22nd September 2004, 08:37
Yep. Sounds about right. The bit you have got doesn't seek. It's the only clip I can't get to seek. So you have to sit through the cycling etc.

It's saids 3 mins, but it will just run on saying 3mins on the clock for the remaining time.

It's a bit poo and it's not microsoft's fault because remember the video is supposed to be streamed and not recorded.

We are just being a bit naughty by grabbing the bits and trying to stick it together! So no DVD quality or special features I'm afraid... :transport

ChubbyHubby
-22nd September 2004, 08:40
PS. you mean you didn't think the mascots fencing was quite cute...? Mind you, repect to the poor sods inside the suits for not falling off the raised piste.

Gav
-22nd September 2004, 09:07
Yeah, this "not seekable" file ticked me off as well. The others work fine - so why not this one? I've been able to find a resource on the web that will give me a decent answer.

doobarz
-22nd September 2004, 20:17
Qucik question - do I need to download each file or just the .zip?

Threestain
-22nd September 2004, 21:54
all of them, then unzip the .zip and the rest will follow

cowpaste
-23rd September 2004, 06:16
I hate to rush, but will this be done within 15 days? I want to cancel xdrive. :P

ChubbyHubby
-23rd September 2004, 08:31
It takes 4-5hrs to upload and I need to wait until there is spare bandwidth on the company server. Usually that means weekends.

clockity
-23rd September 2004, 09:48
I can download and then upload to another account next week if this helps. Lots of time on my hands, with the week off between jobs.

Would this help?

ChubbyHubby
-23rd September 2004, 10:19
Yes, that would be a great help.

If I can get some files to you then perhaps you can upload to other accounts that have requested it.

Once they have the files and they can do the same we have the basis of a basic file-sharing network without having to download any apps or complicated techy bits.

Check your PM inbox.

clockity
-23rd September 2004, 10:56
Rightio, I will do. Your PM box is now full. I'll start downloading the file that you PM'd me tonight.

Threestain
-27th September 2004, 19:53
Just so everyone knows, my 15 day trial is up, so I'm cancelling the thing now.

Hope we've got enough anyway!

Cheers guys

cowpaste
-28th September 2004, 18:31
My account expires in about a week. :(

Saxon
-28th September 2004, 22:36
Chubby - am downloading right now.

When I get to work I have LOTS of bandwidth available, so should be able to upload with no problems.

Let me know details if this will be useful

doobarz
-29th September 2004, 07:04
My account expires tomorrow.

ChubbyHubby
-29th September 2004, 08:00
Sounds like we need some new xdrive accounts. Ideally before the current batch runs out.

So if anyone else wants the footage...

Click here (http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-1555011-10306249) to create the account.

They will ask you for your credit card, but it is a free trial.

Once we are done with the footage, if you have no use for the account just cancel and it won't cost a penny.

http://www.lduhtrp.net/image-1555011-10306249

Neil
-5th October 2004, 01:32
My account expires tomorrow, so I'll cancel it then.

A huge thanks to Chubbyhubby for organising this!