PDA

View Full Version : Britain v Ireland

Marky Irish
-21st September 2004, 23:34
Would anyone be interested in either

1. British Select Team vs. Irish Select Team (University Match)

or

2. General Match of British Unis (e.g. London, Durham) vs. Irish Unis (Queens, UCD) in a Tournament. Like a British/Irish Intervarsities.

Just floating idea out to see if there is any interest.

pqg
-22nd September 2004, 10:17
Biggest difficulty is the lack of any overall body to choose a British unis team. However there is such a thing for Scottish Unis - I'm sure they could be persuaded into a (potentially annual) Scotland v Ireland students match. Get in touch with myopic - he's the man in charge of Scottish Student Fencing.

There has been talk before of establishing a student version of the 5 Nations (we have senior and junior so why not?) - this could be the first step in setting it up.

Aer
-22nd September 2004, 11:14
im sure that the scottish unis would be interested in that - heriot watt guys were trying to get the scottish unis to go to holland ( i think - i wasn't club secretary then) last year for some competition. It fell through at the last minute.

Flip
-22nd September 2004, 11:17
I'd be interested in that. (The Irish unis vs Brit Unis.) It'd be really good :fencingsm followed by:beer:

fitch
-22nd September 2004, 11:21
I was gonna suggest a different sort of thing to the current "scottish unis reps match" this year, along the lines of "Scottish Students Select" vs BUSA champions (6W - so "BUSA women's winners plus their mens team" vs "BUSA mens winners plus their womens team" vs "Scottish Unis mens and womens teams")

but some sort of 5 nation type thing sounds good, possibly tie in with BFA regionalisation to give someone responsibility of selecting teams? (or rely on BUSA individuals rankings for the countries without a student mens and womens captain)?

Sparks
-24th September 2004, 11:22
I'm definately up for that kind of idea. Any idea how we'd put it into motion?

Aer
-24th September 2004, 12:39
well, the scottish unis are part of SASF - myopic knows ALL about that - so i guess it would be organised/able using that organisation, esp if there was a similar one in ireland. other than that, its just a case of using the results from a tournament - eg SASF Individuals/TEAMS/ the SF section competitions/ OPENS to get the team sorted.

Wouldn't take too long to get a team sorted, just telling people etc.

if it gets off the ground, then unis could look to change blues and colours criteria...

Marky Irish
-25th September 2004, 10:46
BUSA Womens Champions = Northumbria + their Mens Team
BUSA Mens Champions = Cambridge + their Womens Team

Irish Champions are UCD? Queen's would have won the Mens if it was seperate.

Marcos
-29th September 2004, 08:29
be very difficult to organise, but what is easier is to arrange friendlies (as we have in the past) - university comes to ireland and fences a triangular with Trinity and UCD

I'm coaching at UCD now so know the guys well

Another option is to enter one of the team comps that are held in dublin - by definition the majority of teams are Universities.

calender of Irish events, including team comps, is http://fencingforum.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=2772

The best to go to in the short term is the Trinity Cup - 5W (no WS) comp. Standared ranges from begginers to pretty strong fencers.

and who knows Mark, you could even get publicity in the Belfast Telegraph for it if oyu entered a team...

purple
-14th October 2004, 09:07
An intervarsities sounds like a good idea, maybe a two day medlay where all the teams can get together with a progressive elimination round.

Can we have a couple of old boys teams to boot?

*g*

O*N
-19th November 2004, 23:36
Originally posted by Marky Irish
BUSA Womens Champions = Northumbria + their Mens Team
BUSA Mens Champions = Cambridge + their Womens Team

Irish Champions are UCD? Queen's would have won the Mens if it was seperate.

UCD beat Queens coming first in Mens Epee and Mens Foil. Of the six events that the tournament is fenced over they only actually managed to win one.

I wouldn't go making inaccurate claims in public if I were you ;)

Juicy
-21st November 2004, 10:26
We'd definitely be up for sending an unofficial London university team from UCL and a couple of other people - especially a mens team, though we could probably gather together some good women as well.

Maxim
-21st November 2004, 10:40
We'd definitely be up for sending an unofficial London university team from UCL and a couple of other people

Or we could send an official London Uni. team using BUSA Individuals results for selection.

Juicy
-21st November 2004, 12:23
That's a bit unrepresentative though, as a few of our good fencers aren't going to the BUSA's.
There's no reason why you shouldn't be on the team though (should this competition go ahead and if we actually send a team!) cause you're good ;-)

Maxim
-21st November 2004, 13:29
This is not about me wanting to push my way into the team. There are many good fencers in Imperial, QM etc and it would be unfair not give them a chance. Performance in the Individuals to me seems to be the most obvious selection criteria (most fencers will be there). What do you suggest?

Juicy
-21st November 2004, 18:00
I'm sure we can sort something out - will take it to pm cause this is hardly interesting for everyone!

stephen
-8th December 2004, 15:51
Sounds a good idea.

With the new England structure now in place maybe they could help out with a student five nations?

As for selection BUSA results or national rankings, as i can think of a few who are highly ranked but are not part of the Cambs team but scattered across different teams ?? ....ninja..

A 'dream team' or the wining BUSA team.