PDA

View Full Version : Support for top Sports People.

Barry Paul
-14th April 2003, 19:45
The U.K. is the 5 largest economy in the world, how is it possible that we care so little about our sports people or spend so little supporting them?

Gold
-14th April 2003, 21:49
They do its just that fencing has such a low profile in this country there is a lot of money going into sport. If we could increase the profile of the sport maybe more money would come our way.;)

kingkenny
-15th April 2003, 08:06
The sport could be better televised as some of itís a bit to complicated for non fencers. The team event is defiantly the way forward with mixed sexes and all with see through masks or coloured masks and coloured clothing more like football rugby and cricket.:cool:

The old director of the bbc had a meeting with fie president to see how they could make it more visual and when he saw the see through masks he said that these were a must as in tv you have to see the eyes.

lindsay watkiss
-21st April 2003, 19:46
The UK maybe a large economy but the answer is simple. NEVER. This is not because the athlete is second rate, far from it. most sports people respect fencing as a total dedication to achieve the highest standards. But its krapp television. Its bad enough sometimes watching and you know what's going on, to the layman its a change channel option. So we will never get anymore money, coaches will always be poor and referees will always be amateur. :upset:

Barry Paul
-21st April 2003, 20:26
explain why fencing is so popular in france. has funding of millions and wins gold medals? It is still the same televised sport. My comment was just not fencing specific but all sports.

Hudson
-21st April 2003, 21:01
With the new interest in fencing through the new bond film and star wars, some sort of show event at a public event could be used to incress the profile and accessability of the sport. Alot of people i talk to how do other sports respect fencers for the level of dedication we put into it but see it as an eliteist sport.

haggis
-21st April 2003, 21:09
Britain seems to still enjoy being happy amateurs in world sport and sport isn't given the level of priority that it has in many other countries. It may be possible in some sports to achieve success primarily on talent but sports that are more labour-intensive (more coaching, slower development, more technical) such as fencing are going to struggle on the meagre rations that are available. If you want to succeed in sport, Britain sucks and will continue to do so until we shrug off our nationally-held Victorian attitude to sport. :( (getting deprssed just thinking about it)

lindsay watkiss
-21st April 2003, 21:31
The French realise that fencing is not just a sport but a away of teaching discipline, body control and coordination plus it uses all those little grey cells.So the French understand that it builds confident individuals and therefore World Champions. Plus its on most state schools sport schedules. We on the other hand, lost the art in-between the wars, and have never gained it back, apart from some very gifted individuals. Most European athletes gain money from local company sponsorship and usually have a job in some civil service type department that allow's them time to train. Money is however getting short in most European counties and fencing will suffer. The Italian FIE have lost 50% income from its normal sources in the last 12 months and is in crisis. The French and Germans will not fair much better this year.

So my question to you is. if we had the money could we produce the champions?

haggis
-26th April 2003, 02:14
Lindsay

Maybe but not in the next ten to fifteen years. World class fencers don't develop in isolation. It would take a lot of money (£millions) to make Britain into a credible place to produce Olympic gold medallists in fencing. Only problem is no-one (BOA, British fencing, Sport England, scotland, etc) has the money to do this. Given unlimited finance, I would think that Britain could realistically hope to medal at least once at 2012 Games (Kruse, Datoo or Nicholl??)

Gav
-28th April 2003, 06:36
I've mulled over this on and off over the last wee while.

Firstly. It IS possible to popularise and televise Fencing it just hasn't been tried here in the UK. Has anyone on the board sat down and watched other martial arts based sports on telly? Or, that matter squash, badminton or ... Tennis? These are all sports that have a similair dynamic [telly-wise not necessarily technique-wise] to Fencing. All of these have been screened successfully on British television. Despite the IOC's obsession with TV ratings it isn't necessary for us to be televise to generate world class competitors although I do concede that TV money would help.

Secondly. As has been pointed out here there is money available to fund sports. Fencing, whether we like it or not IS a minority sport and suffers as a consequence. What surprises me is that, as a sport, we must attract some of the most talented creative people in the UK [lawyers, IT people, artists etc] so there must be people in the right position to whisper in the right ears and therefore make the right contacts. As Haggis has pointed out Britain has a very archaic attitiude to sports [as well as other things] and this attititude needs to be shaken off of the UK is ever going to be able to compete.

Fencing could benefit from better promotion in Schools. For example at school I never really enjoyed sports. There were none on the curriculum that really interested me (apart from Hockey but that was taken off for being a bit ... rough). I only really became interested in sports when I was given the opportunity to Fence.

There is an additional obstacle that must be overcome - apathy. Nationwide there is a trend away from active participation in sports to passive consumption.

Aoife
-28th April 2003, 21:10
Fencing could benefit from better promotion in Schools. For example at school I never really enjoyed sports. There were none on the curriculum that really interested me (apart from Hockey but that was taken off for being a bit ... rough). I only really became interested in sports when I was given the opportunity to Fence.

I completly agree with that. I was never really interested in PE (except the rare occasions when we did basketball) for many years. Then my school started fencing, and I not only became addicted to fencing, but I found myself enjoying other sports more as well.

Many of the people I know who started fencing at school are determined to continue it as far as possible. If more schools had the oppertunity to offer fencing (either in PE or as an extra-curriculum activity) then many more young people would get interested in the sport.

Turtle ninja
-16th May 2003, 23:00
Originally posted by lindsay watkiss

So my question to you is. if we had the money could we produce the champions?

How high you can jump? 150cm? 160? or more? If I give you £1,000, can you jump higher?

Unfortunately, the high quality fencing is not just money question. Of course, money is very important but the most important factor is "Fencing Coach". At the moment this problem is not solved in England. Without high quality coaches, we cannot reach the star which will impact the popularlity.
In French, hundreds efficient fencing masters work in clubs and school. More than thousand people involve fencing and are interested in fencing. THerefore, TV and commercial try to advertise fencing.
In fact, UK and France have long histories in fencing. Interestingly, France has been able to carry on this fencing tradition whereas England cannot.