PDA

View Full Version : checking foil wire

foilerist
-22nd May 2003, 22:07
is there any way i can check that my foil rewire was succesful using a multi-tester. i have a inter club competition coming up and have to rewire two foils for it and i don't have a foil tester. any tips would be handy.

Saxon
-22nd May 2003, 22:19
If you have croc clips and a continuity beeper on your meter, plug a bodywire into the foil. Find the two pins corresponding to the screw and the guard, and clip them on. Then you can use the continuity meter to check for faults.

Normally, the circuit should be continuous.

With the button pressed, no circuit.

That's pretty much it. You can't easily test for momentary continuity breaks without a proper test box or scoring box, but on a new rewire it should be okay, unless the button is faulty.

Good luck

neevel
-23rd May 2003, 04:09
An ohmmeter is actually preferable to an LED test box for checking out your weapons. A test box gives a only basic closed/open reading of the circuit, and (except for the Favero test boxes with the break-detector LED) won't be very good at indicating short breaks in the circuit. Knowing the resistance value is useful for identifying incipient problems that won't yet cause the scoring box to pop a white light, and a good, fast meter can often pick up short breaks that LED testers won't notice.

With everything in working order, you should see no more than 2 Ohms in a foil with the point undepressed (that's the legal limit- 1 ohm per line). Anything above that indicates that you at least need to clean out the point, or else that something more serious is amiss. Similarly, a reading that's not in the mega-Ohms range with the tip depressed should raise your suspicions about a B-C short somewhere.

-Dave

foilerist
-23rd May 2003, 07:13
thanks fellas i;ll give it a go

stevejackson
-23rd May 2003, 17:29
One tip, I find the analogue (moving coil) meters better at finding transiants than the digital ones - Digital meters seem to integrate the result over about a tenth of a second (well the one's I can afford do) where the analogue one flikers as the resistance changes. I'll admit i've never done comparision tests though.

neevel
-23rd May 2003, 17:54
At the lower price points, digital meters do have a rather slow display refresh rate, so analogs may be preferable when you're not wanting to spend a lot of money. However, the detection times for the tone-on-make/break setting is generally quite fast, so that can be useful. Additionally, with auto-ranging enabled digital meter displays will usually jump ranges on fast breaks, which will pick up things things that wouldn't register with the display staying on the same range. The above two items allow middle-priced digital meters pick up quick breaks. You have to learn to 'interpret' them correctly, but you also need to learn how to tell if that little twitch on an analog needle is a fast, total break or a slow, small fluctuation.

I personally prefer a fast, higher-end digital meter, but there are other armorers who prefer analog, period. It seems more a matter of taste and familiarity than anything else.

-Dave