PDA

View Full Version : Federation membership

jennigoodman
-6th October 2004, 12:55
Just wondering how many club captains actually do check that their members who are competing in BUSA matches actually have BFA/WFA etc membership? I seem to remember people who I had fenced in matches having to buy membership on the day at the individuals. I admit that I was women's captain last year and (big slap on the wrist) hadn't read the rules so didn't even know let alone check.

ceprab
-6th October 2004, 15:02
I would hazard a guess at '0' . Most team captains have enough hassle just trying to get a team together without ruling people out if they haven't got a fencing license.

Is this actually a rule then?

Sparks
-6th October 2004, 17:21
I think I speak for all the scottish captains when I say "every flippin one of us". As we have all our busa teams matches on a single weekend, theres always a rep from SASF there, and he always checks and insists on membership. If you haven't got it, you have to buy it up-front.

jennigoodman
-7th October 2004, 07:48
I wish our matches were all on the same weekend, that would be too convenient for words. I know it's hard enough to find people to fence, we had 2 epeeists and 2 beginner sabreurs in our women's team last year, that was fun:( . I just wondered though if other unis were in the same position.

gbm
-7th October 2004, 10:15
I think that probably 3 people in our club are; they seem to be under some sort of (I think erroneous) impression that they don't need it.

doobarz
-7th October 2004, 10:20
I can see it putting off beginners if it was a requirement on top of Athletic Union & club fees to whack 37 (?) on top for BFA membership. Still, better to take the money at the start of term than wait till the individuas when it has all been spent on beer. I mean books.

doobarz
-7th October 2004, 10:21
However, you could politly enforce this by asking all visiting teams to produce their BFA cards on arrival... any one with no card does not fence - I don't think people would forget more than once.

You could make it a task for the independant referee provided by the home team.....

jennigoodman
-7th October 2004, 12:45
Ha ha..... and monkeys might fly out of my A**E

gbm
-7th October 2004, 18:35
For most Uni fencers, 5 social membership will do.

doobarz
-7th October 2004, 19:31
Originally posted by goodbadandme

Unless they want to do the Individual Champiobnships....

www.busa.org.ukThe Fencing Championships shall be conducted in accordance with the Rules of the British Fencing Association. For both the Individual and Team Championships full British Fencing Association (or home nation equivalent) Licences are required by all competitors.

Dave Hillier
-7th October 2004, 20:06

which is probably about as much insurance as they get from being a member of their athletic union.

Dave

(who for once is sort of not a student)

gbm
-7th October 2004, 22:15
Originally posted by doobarz
Unless they want to do the Individual Champiobnships....

I'd guess most don't. Certainly that is the case at my club, which 'technically' had a hundred members plus last year.

colliebeast
-8th October 2004, 09:10
Yes but your club membership covers most of them!

its only people competing in BUSA who need individual membership!

Neo
-13th November 2004, 23:25
Originally posted by jennigoodman
I wish our matches were all on the same weekend, that would be too convenient for words. I know it's hard enough to find people to fence, we had 2 epeeists and 2 beginner sabreurs in our women's team last year, that was fun:( . I just wondered though if other unis were in the same position.

I note you did rather well last year :grin:

Saxon
-14th November 2004, 10:45
Originally posted by goodbadandme

Sorry, but no it won't.

Social membership covers you for fencing members of your own club. Specifically excludes visiting fencers, and matches.

gbm
-14th November 2004, 11:24
Originally posted by Saxon
Sorry, but no it won't.

Social membership covers you for fencing members of your own club. Specifically excludes visiting fencers, and matches.

I was making the assumption that most Uni fencers don't fence for their Uni in BUSA matches, which I probably should have said more explicitly. Our club certainly has more club fencers not on the team than on the team.

In our club, all fencers have to pay 1 to the AU, and team members have to have an additional 3 paid for them to the AU (out of the club budget). But I don't know what this additional non-BFA insurance covers - I would guess (as I am told by our club officials) that this covers them for club fencing and BUSA matches respectively.