PDA

View Full Version : Upper Heyford

Winwaloe
-11th October 2004, 12:07
Not much to do with LPJS (perhaps we should have a junior fencers cat.) but does anyone know when the next Upper Heyford training day with Linda and Pierre is due to take place?

Andy W.
-11th October 2004, 20:31
Funny you should ask, I've only just emailed Ismay to find out....I'll let you know when I get a reply, I assume you are foil?
:)

PM1
-11th October 2004, 22:09
I guess it's Linda Strachan and Pierre Harper, and they don't do the epee for me......don't have ANY Linda or Pierre doing epee for me.....:(

Epee might have some time at Upper HEyford this season, we'll see...:rolleyes:

Winwaloe
-12th October 2004, 08:13
epee - that's the long, slow thing where you don't have to think too hard isn't it?

Winwaloe
-12th October 2004, 08:14
Andy - yes foil, I have emailed Ismay but no reply as yet.

PM1
-12th October 2004, 17:30
Originally posted by Winwaloe
epee - that's the long, slow thing where you don't have to think too hard isn't it?

:mad: :mad: :mad: :(

Andy W.
-22nd October 2004, 18:07
Here is a reply I had from John Ramsey

"The Tomorrow Achiever's plan is very much part of our Youth Policy. The new England Youth Officer is Peter Wright with the TA scheme being administered by Simon Thompson."

Suppose it means that nothing is arranged as yet?
No replies from anyone else.

AW:)

doobarz
-22nd October 2004, 18:40
Originally posted by Andy W.
The new England Youth Officer is Peter Wright

He can't of had much time to plan anything yet....

Andy W.
-22nd October 2004, 19:46
Perhaps, but it has been running for at least two years already..................................

vikkia
-22nd October 2004, 21:21
Slightly slow on the uptake ! but I agree with Winwalowe we should have a junior fencing cat but maybe call it 'Youth Fencing' as junior fencing is a much older group. The kids that fence from 7/8 upwards are the future of fencing and the parents need as much advice as they can get to keep doing the miles that they do to go competitions. I have always found this forum helpfull but a lot is not relevant for the age group that we are in.

Winwaloe
-25th October 2004, 12:35
So does this mean that Ismay is no longer organising UH sessions?

Winwaloe
-25th October 2004, 17:01
Also now heard from John and it does seem that the TA's are being held over until a plan is designed to take them forward. Understand that BFA has withdrawn funding for the Upper Heyford site (good old BFA, always there to support) but perhaps it is unfair to be critical? - TA's worked well and Linda and Pierre gave a huge amount of encouragement. I did not receive any notice that the foil TA's were in suspension and that seems a shame. Perhaps if parents had been informed we could have worked together to keep the thing running. Certainly "my" club has excellent training facilities and a few self funding weekends would not have been a problem just to keep the thing alive. Under the impression that epee and sabre are ongoing so what is the issue with foil. Any other TA parents out there with views on this?

Winwaloe
-25th October 2004, 17:03
Originally posted by vikkia
Slightly slow on the uptake ! but I agree with Winwalowe we should have a junior fencing cat but maybe call it 'Youth Fencing' as junior fencing is a much older group. The kids that fence from 7/8 upwards are the future of fencing and the parents need as much advice as they can get to keep doing the miles that they do to go competitions. I have always found this forum helpfull but a lot is not relevant for the age group that we are in.

Agree with you - any chance of doing this Messers Paul?

Tubby
-25th October 2004, 17:34
I've been wondering what happened to Upper Heyford. The daughter had been invited to attend which she did then we found that the next planned sessions clashed with LP Warwick Epee (a nominated event - not that this meant anything for her)so couldn't attend, then I got notified of the next session with about a week's notice (so couldn't go) then nothing, I thought the daughter had been dropped.

Lets hope Messers Wright and Thompson will be in touch.....:confused:

Clare Halsted
-25th October 2004, 22:02
The plan is for the foil TAs to continue under Linda's direction for this year at whichever venues are convenient and affordable. She is trying to sort out dates now. England will officially take over with its new development programme when it has some money (from membership fees) and the organisation is up and running. (I discussed this with John R yesterday)
So hopefully more details soon and keep up the footwork!!

Clare

Winwaloe
-26th October 2004, 13:17
Thanks for the info Clare

Andy W.
-26th October 2004, 22:00
Nice to know.

PM1
-28th October 2004, 20:55
I'm clearly going to have to talk to someone about this for epee, as no one is talking to me....and I have some arrangements in place already....ho hum......:(

Andy W.
-28th October 2004, 21:00
So much secrecy, first incidents at comps that no one can talk about and then information blackouts over the TAs. Is there something we should know? Is there a sinister plot by the new English managment?

PM1
-28th October 2004, 21:11
Surely not......I know a lot about somethings and nowt about others......perhaps I should start a revolution, do you think??:tongue:

Andy W.
-28th October 2004, 21:41
Revolution, I love the smell of revolution in the morning...

PM1
-28th October 2004, 21:51
we'll just have to see what we can do then, won't we.......:grin:

Andy W.
-28th October 2004, 21:54
Which gate shall we storm first?

PM1
-28th October 2004, 21:59
well, my daughter has just come back from living near the bastille, so i'll consult her for suggestions.....

Andy W.
-28th October 2004, 22:04
I was thinking some where more domestic, perhaps dans le vicinity of Baron's Gate myself :)

PM1
-28th October 2004, 22:21
:) yeah, I guessed so !! Ironically, I have been in London this week (now back at home) and seriously thought of breaching the Baron's Gate barricades this afternoon.....didn't have time, in the end.:confused:

Winwaloe
-1st November 2004, 10:46
Originally posted by PM1
:) yeah, I guessed so !! Ironically, I have been in London this week (now back at home) and seriously thought of breaching the Baron's Gate barricades this afternoon.....didn't have time, in the end.:confused:

You were expected to find it defended????!!!!

RE TA's Clare has now responded and it seems that Linda will be carrying on to the end of the year with some training days. Details, I hope, will be sent to us. I am delighted to hear that it has not been ditched but do feel that some consultation with fencers/parents may have been propitious. Or did I miss it?

Winwaloe
-1st November 2004, 10:47
Apologies - cold has got the better of me - for expected read expecting!

Andy W.
-1st November 2004, 22:33
Yes, I agree, some form of consultation would have been nice, or just a plain message to everyone involved to tell us what was going on and why. I am at a loss as to why the whole thing seems to have collapsed anyway.
Having just gone through that consultation with Ismay I would have thought it would have been easy to keep it going.

Lets hope that Upper Heyford is not replaced by some harder to get to place!

Its enough to make daughter take up epee instead.

:(

Winwaloe
-2nd November 2004, 10:06
"Its enough to make daughter take up epee instead."

Surely nothing can be that bad!!

PM1
-2nd November 2004, 17:01
Originally posted by Winwaloe
"Its enough to make daughter take up epee instead."

Surely nothing can be that bad!!

:mad: