PDA

View Full Version : Lost kit

Shaolin Monkey
-11th October 2004, 16:29
Not sure where I should put this thread, however I have noticed that there are a lot of threads regarding lost/found kit, perhaps this should have its own sub-section in the forum to facilitate people finding their lost kit.

Insipiens
-11th October 2004, 16:35
Originally posted by Shaolin Monkey
Not sure where I should put this thread,

In the comments and suggestions area? ;)

Shaolin Monkey
-11th October 2004, 16:37
fair enough

Gav
-12th October 2004, 06:32
Off to comments/suggestions....

Shaolin Monkey
-12th October 2004, 10:37
Cheers Gav

Insipiens
-12th October 2004, 10:44
Originally posted by Gav
Off to comments/suggestions....

but nobody ever looks there :upset: :eek: ;)

uk_45
-12th October 2004, 14:21
I'm looking

Insipiens
-12th October 2004, 14:43
Originally posted by Insipiens
In the comments and suggestions area? ;)

Or may be in the tournaments area because most people lose kit at tournaments? As a sticky??

PM1
-12th October 2004, 17:50
Think I put mine off piste, but a sticky would be a Good Idea:)

gbm
-12th October 2004, 19:49
I look everywhere...

Gav
-14th October 2004, 11:23
Here is a proposal:

A sticky for lost kit can be placed in the tournaments section following a tournament. That sticky is left for 3 weeks following a tournament at which point I unstick it and it is left to stay or die on it's own merits.

I will leave it up to one of you to create the initial thread to be stuck and notify me.

However, the only drawbacks that I can see is that tournament organisers are unlikely to look here for people who have lost kit. It is really down to those who have lost kit to contact them directly. If any organiser wishes to post a list of lost and found I could also make that stick as well.

One last thing, most of my own kit is maked with my name. I recommend that people tag, label or otherwise identify their kit so that it can be returned.

Rdb811
-14th October 2004, 13:44
You (or your club / friendly local armourer) can get a label producing machine from Staples (or where ever) for not much.

BigPappaBear
-14th October 2004, 14:28
Or a black marker pen from WHSmiths! :)

Rdb811
-14th October 2004, 14:35
True - but the labels are easier to get ionto a guard. (Have you seen my hand-writing ?)

gbm
-14th October 2004, 18:25
This is an advantage of the see-through pads - you can see whatever you have written inside the guard easier!

PM1
-14th October 2004, 19:46
...but boy's name is emroidered on his jacket and it has STILL walked....:( but a good idea, or two there, Gav. Tournament section it should be, AND, can organisers make sure we have a telephone number to contact, as they don't all have one.

i thank you.....

Twohat
-14th October 2004, 21:38
I have my initials letter-punched into the heel of my pistol grip - it doesn't help anyone find me if they have found my sword, but at least I can prove it is mine.

I made the mistake of using a felt pen with red sweat-soluble ink to put my initials on all of my kit, and the first time I wore it all it looked like I had been in a fight (I had, too).

Twohat
-14th October 2004, 21:39
If I change my name to Leon Paul or Alistair Uhlmann I could claim my pick of most of the lost property . . .

Rdb811
-14th October 2004, 22:58
I'm thinking of changing my name to 'Next' so I get served quicker. ("Who's Next ?")

pinkelephant
-15th October 2004, 08:31
One of my fencers left her breeches in the changing room at Norwich. Not named. The Hugginses haven't got them. Anybody help?

BigPappaBear
-15th October 2004, 12:24
but boy's name is emroidered on his jacket and it has STILL walked.... but a good idea, or two there, Gav. Tournament section it should be, AND, can organisers make sure we have a telephone number to contact, as they don't all have one.

You could always put string on things... In the Boy's case I think the only way you will stop him losing stuff is to tie it to him... and even then I'm not sure it'll work :grin:

Barry Paul
-15th October 2004, 12:35
gav can you include found items in your sticky.

Shaolin Monkey
-15th October 2004, 12:37
What about using one of those golf ball markers on the outside of the guard, it'd need a bit of modding but it could work.

PM1
-15th October 2004, 17:51
Originally posted by BigPappaBear
You could always put string on things... In the Boy's case I think the only way you will stop him losing stuff is to tie it to him... and even then I'm not sure it'll work :grin:

you are SO right......just agreed for him and Tim to go by train to get to Heathrow.....now, i hope that's not a BIG mistake.....:eek: if they get lost (did i say "if") it will be in 2 different places.....:rolleyes:

Lynne
-17th October 2004, 10:29
Originally posted by Twohat
I have my initials letter-punched into the heel of my pistol grip - it doesn't help anyone find me if they have found my sword, but at least I can prove it is mine.

I put a phone number on my kit with my surname - OK, some people think it's a strange way of giving out your phone number... but it has worked once or twice that I received a phone call asking if I was missing something! Strangely, no-one's ever bothered just phoning me because the number was written on my back, which is what I was warned about when I had the idea.

I made the mistake of using a felt pen with red sweat-soluble ink to put my initials on all of my kit, and the first time I wore it all it looked like I had been in a fight (I had, too).

Yuk!

gbm
-17th October 2004, 12:06
All my kit (except wires) is labelled with my name and phone number. My wires used to have my name on, but it's probably worn off.

Neo
-26th October 2004, 01:03
I discovered never write your name on the inside of your lame at the label - it ends up transferring to the colour of your jacket!

Shaolin Monkey
-26th October 2004, 10:39
Sew in labels

Lynne
-26th October 2004, 16:32
Originally posted by BigPappaBear

Get a staple gun!:grin:

Insipiens
-26th October 2004, 16:58
Originally posted by Lynne
Get a staple gun!:grin:

What, stapling fencin kit to a fencer? :eek: seems a bit extreme. ;)

Neo
-26th October 2004, 17:04
Originally posted by Insipiens
What, stapling fencin kit to a fencer? :eek: seems a bit extreme. ;)

You could use pieces of broken foil blade instead...

Twohat
-26th October 2004, 17:31
What, stapling fencin kit to a fencer? seems a bit extreme.

You can buy staples specially for fencing - I've got some.

gbm
-26th October 2004, 20:21
Originally posted by Twohat
You can buy staples specially for fencing - I've got some.

What sort of fencing are we talking about here?

And as for stapling kit to fencers, desperate times call for desperate measures...

Neo
-26th October 2004, 23:21
Originally posted by goodbadandme

And as for stapling kit to fencers, desperate times call for desperate measures...

i think ur stalking me!

Aoife
-31st October 2004, 09:07
I wrote on the lable of my plastron in biro and it sweated off.... as have the washing instructions :(

It works fine no my other kit though (oh, and I have random smiley stickers under the guard of my foils... so I know I have the right one; or somebody else has the wrong one)

Neo
-1st November 2004, 16:50
Originally posted by goodbadandme

oi mr mcleod, think u need to edit your signature. You're now 329. Should I add my 199 to sig? :grin:

vil
-1st November 2004, 22:44
Originally posted by Neo
Should I add my 199 to sig?
Only when you've earnt it. :rambo: :moon:

Neo
-2nd November 2004, 07:03
Originally posted by vil
Only when you've earnt it. :rambo: :moon:

check foil rankings ;)

apparently sussex NIF is wrong too - will be fixed in Dec rankings

vil
-2nd November 2004, 08:27
Originally posted by Neo
check foil rankings ;)
I know, I know. But I like my glass house - I couldn't imagine casting stones from anywhere else! :confused:

apparently sussex NIF is wrong too - will be fixed in Dec rankings
Interesting. I'd thought the NIF for MF at Leicester would be higher than 58 too. But that I guess that's getting a bit off-topic for this thread...

gbm
-2nd November 2004, 22:06
Originally posted by Neo
oi mr mcleod, think u need to edit your signature. You're now 329. Should I add my 199 to sig? :grin:

My ADSL router died and I've only just got another one! And it's 326, apparently...