PDA

View Full Version : Busa Individuals 2004

Shaolin Monkey
-26th October 2004, 10:44
Does anybody know the regulations for kit for the Busa individuals this year? Club pres is unsure and not everyone has top grade kit yet so it would be helpful to know whether 800N plastrons are needed.

Aer
-26th October 2004, 11:13
from the busa mailout:

[snip]
B Individual Championships

FEN 5 Events
Individual championships shall be held annually in 6W.

FEN 6 Rules
Electrical apparatus to be used for all events
Competitors' clothing and equipment shall conform to BFA regualtions

As plastrons are needed for opens in the uk, i'd guess that you'd need one or get carded at the events.

doobarz
-26th October 2004, 11:38
Originally posted by Aer
As plastrons are needed for opens in the uk, i'd guess that you'd need one or get carded at the events.

That wasn't quite the question - is an 800N plastron required?

I know that ihunter would say that as this is a CHAMPIONSHIPS then yes, but you would be best to contact BUSA direct.

Aer
-26th October 2004, 12:54
at busa teams, plastrons ARE required, so, probably are at the individuals

doobarz
-26th October 2004, 13:10
Originally posted by Aer
at busa teams, plastrons ARE required, so, probably are at the individuals

Yes, A plastron is required, the question is what rating does it need.

fitch
-26th October 2004, 14:50
doesn't matter.

current BFA regs (as I understand it) are that, except for top level competitions, kit does not need any particular "rating" to be used for fencing, so older plastrons or 350N ones will be OK. 800N will be needed from 2006.

ceprab
-26th October 2004, 20:10
The point made above is that technically i believe the individuals are rated as a National Championship or somesuch, which would imply 800N plastrons are needed, but given resources of students, uni clubs etc, is this going to be enforced?

Flip
-26th October 2004, 23:42
I only have a double breasted sabre Plastron.
Is that ok too?

Sparks
-27th October 2004, 02:46
As far as im aware, 800N plastrons are required in the busa individuals. And as for the funky sabre plastron (which I want, they're pretty cool....), it should be fine as long as it's 800N. If anyone knows different, please correct me, but thats what ive been informed so far.

bucket
-28th October 2004, 09:54
The kit regs for BUSA are the same as for (most) opens.

350 N Kit. + underplastron

(350N/ 800N depending on how mean the president is, and how much you've ticked them off in previous comps)

Bitter from last year... moi ?

Maxim
-12th November 2004, 22:18
Does anyone know what timings they are going to use at the championship? Can not find any info on the BUSA website.

Sparks
-13th November 2004, 05:42
I think its stil the old timings. I have a funny feeling that they'll bring in the new timings next academic year for busa, but im not sure what im basing that on....

gbm
-13th November 2004, 09:18
I think the individuals are new timings, although the team matches are old timings.

ceprab
-14th November 2004, 15:06
Highly likely to be new timings as the boxes are hired from LP.

gbm
-14th November 2004, 15:24
Originally posted by ceprab
Highly likely to be new timings as the boxes are hired from LP.

Actually LP have several hire fleets and I suspect that they still have a large number of old timings boxes... but I do still think they are new timings.

ceprab
-15th November 2004, 09:38
Also IIRC there was something went round at the start of the year along the lines of 'regular matches to be on old timings, individuals and the finals(!?) to be on new timngs'. Will make the finals wierd if so, but I don't really care as I use a proper weapon anyway*.

*And am not good enough even with that for it to really matter.

Shaolin Monkey
-16th November 2004, 09:11
I quite like the new timings (I get lots of points that I shouldn't), now I wish I'd put myself in for the individuals.

Jambo
-16th November 2004, 13:23
Looking at posts elsewhere the off piste fighting might be more interesting than the on piste!!

Before anyone savages me that was a joke, although people do seem to be taking BUSA far too seriously this year...

Juicy
-16th November 2004, 15:13
I've just spoken to the guy from BUSA - he said that they're waiting for confirmation from Leon Paul about which boxes they're getting (cause I think LP is doing a few other competition supplies that weekend as well).

He reckons it'll probably be new timings, but hopes that they'll have a statement on it by the start of next week.

Maxim
-16th November 2004, 15:22
Thanks Lucy, some info finally!!!!!!

Juicy
-18th November 2004, 12:55
And now some more info! Just spoke to the guy at BUSA again - it'll be the new timings at the BUSA individuals.

See you all in a few weeks then (I'm the only person fencing for LSE, so I'll be the loner in the corner with no team...) :upset:

Nick_C
-18th November 2004, 14:28
Let's see ... H&W or BUSAs?

H&W or BUSAs?

OK which genius decided to have them on the same day?

Plus my pentathlon mate has a competition the same weekend.

Three fencing competitions on the same weekend?!? And before you say "why don't you go to both?", the men's sabre is on the same day in both BUSA and H&W. Pentathlon clashes with both epee days (BUSA) and Sat's epee (H&W).

Why couldn't the BUSA's be on another weekend? any time during the year?

Is this not annoying to other people? Perhaps it's just me. There will presumably be many, many great fencers NOT going to BUSA, coz they have to go the H&W (eg Junior Sabreurs).

ceprab
-18th November 2004, 14:45
Controversially, that may not necessarily be a bad thing as it will give less good fencers (those who started at uni mainly) a better day out?

(edited for bad spelling)

jennigoodman
-18th November 2004, 14:59
I think it is very very annoying, having had a look at the calendar for the rest of the year, there are some weekends where the only comps are cadets so would be loads better as H&W is a nice comp to do!
The pentathlon calendar is not so full, so that is v annoying as I've agreed to be in a team for that but would really like to do BUSA as it's my last year. I think last year was the only time since I started fencing that BUSA individuals hasn't clashed with a pentathlon comp...:(

As for there being less competition, I think more competition is good as winning when you are playing the Z list of fencers doesn't really mean quite as much does it?

Farrago
-18th November 2004, 15:34
Originally posted by jennigoodman
As for there being less competition, I think more competition is good as winning when you are playing the Z list of fencers doesn't really mean quite as much does it?

It's my first competition, I've been fencing a year and doing epee since about easter. It will give me a lot more confidence to know that some of the better fencers will be going for ranking points at H&W rather than just obliterating me in the pools.
I don't know if I'd go if I knew all the best people would be at BUSA, I can get utterly thrashed much closer to home:tongue:

Kepster
-18th November 2004, 15:41
You'll actually find some of the better fencers at BUSA instead of H&W - those who have scholarships etc will very likely have it as a term of their contracts that they have to represent their Uni - e.g. last year Chris Buxton won the MS despite spending most of the competition asleep - he'd rather have been at H&W, but he had to represent Northumbria

Juicy
-18th November 2004, 15:49
Originally posted by Nick_C

Is this not annoying to other people? Perhaps it's just me. There will presumably be many, many great fencers NOT going to BUSA, coz they have to go the H&W (eg Junior Sabreurs).

It *is* annoying - the only reason I'm going is because It's my lst year as a student.

It's true though - doing well at busa doesn't mean that much if nobody goes. Does anyone know who's going to be there for the wf?

tigger
-18th November 2004, 16:02
e.g. last year Chris Buxton won the MS despite spending most of the competition asleep - he'd rather have been at H&W, but he had to represent Northumbria

I suspect knowing Chris he would rather have been in bed/down the pub/watching the football than doing EITHER Busa OR H & W...

Foilling Around
-18th November 2004, 21:43
Anybody know who I should ask if they want any refereeing help for the foil on the Saturday?

I'm only a couple of miles down the road and I could do with the exercise!!!

Insipiens
-19th November 2004, 09:30
Foiling aroung - see this thread (http://fencingforum.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=3344) which is asking for referees. :)

Green
-19th November 2004, 11:47
who does everyone think is going to win the events at the BUSA Individuals??? :)

pigeonmeister
-19th November 2004, 13:17
I wouldn't expect the standard to be much lower than last year because of the H+W. Everyone seems to be taking the BUSA's very seriosuly. Also the best uni fencers are contracted to do it. The Mens Epee is on the friday for the BUSA's and on the saturday for the H+W- so it is possible to do both. The mens foil is on saturday for the BUSA's and sunday for the H+W so likewise. The H+W does not usually attract the elite foilists anyway. I think that sabre will be the highest standard followed by prob foil- but as all the matches have been on old timings a lot of people will fancy themselves in MF. On the Old timings I think Phil West would prob win, on the new timings I think it's wide open.

Insipiens
-19th November 2004, 13:25
Originally posted by pigeonmeister
I wouldn't expect the standard to be much lower than last year because of the H+W. Everyone seems to be taking the BUSA's very seriosuly. Also the best uni fencers are contracted to do it. The Mens Epee is on the friday for the BUSA's and on the saturday for the H+W- so it is possible to do both. The mens foil is on saturday for the BUSA's and sunday for the H+W so likewise. The H+W does not usually attract the elite foilists anyway. I think that sabre will be the highest standard followed by prob foil- but as all the matches have been on old timings a lot of people will fancy themselves in MF. On the Old timings I think Phil West would prob win, on the new timings I think it's wide open.
Isn't Richard Kruse a student as well? ;) wonder if he will be doing the BUSA individuals? There must be a few other top 20-30 foilists eligible to compete as well. If the very best student fencers went to BUSA it could be very strong indeed.

pigeonmeister
-19th November 2004, 14:33
Originally posted by Insipiens
If the very best student fencers went to BUSA it could be very strong indeed.

-much stronger then the H+W in my opinion

gbm
-19th November 2004, 15:23
Men's foilists can go to both. I won't be (probably), because I have just got a job on the Sunday now :( so only the BUSA's for me.

Maxim
-19th November 2004, 17:32
who does everyone think is going to win the events at the BUSA Individuals???

Apparently Laurence Halsted is fencing for Sussex in the leagues.......

randomsabreur
-19th November 2004, 19:26
Most top uni fencers, whether or not they are juniors will probably go to BUSA over H & W. The NIF at the H&W is generally not big enough to make a real difference on team selection for the worlds given that the decision will be made on international results, not domestic results and the Hamlet, Bristol and Nationals are bigger. Most of the higher ranked seniors (at MS at least) don't tend to do the H&W especially given that it also clashes with a French senior circuit. BUSA is a lot more sociable as a competition (3 days fencing, 2 evenings drinking) and is a lot more fun, especially with the nice random seeding for the poules.

There aren't many juniors who are students on the womens' although the men ranked 3-5 and 7 are students.

I would be surprised if the H & W NIF leaps hugely even though it is nominated because the top seniors are the ones who make the NIF given comments I have heard re its time to retire if you need the H&W to keep your ranking.

Also you get at most 2 years as a student and a junior, so there are a fair few top fencers who aren't juniors who are eligible for BUSA.

Shaolin Monkey
-8th December 2004, 09:53
Who won the Busa Individuals?

Maxim
-8th December 2004, 10:01
Look in the other thread (Busa Individuals)