PDA

View Full Version : Fencing at Uni... help!

Aoife
-28th October 2004, 22:55
Right-ho.... as the offers come in I'll be asking about fencing at various establishments.

First off.... Sheffield? (also, general info about life at the Uni, and if, rather doubtfully, anybody's at the Linguistics department, what's it like?)

BigPappaBear
-29th October 2004, 07:42
There some good foil clubs in the area, namely Sheffield Buccaneers. Not sure about the Uni's Fencing credentials, I know Sheffield Hallam has a club, and presume the Uni does.

As for Uni life, I'll let someone younger cover that one, as I'll just sound like some old fogey reminiscing :)

Something to do with the rapid onset of the big 30... shudder! :(

rory
-29th October 2004, 09:09
If you can, try to get yourself to Manchester Fencing Club or Salle Kiss sometime.

Easily the best foil clubs in your area.

Boo Boo
-29th October 2004, 10:05
Sheffield University Fencing Club have a website - http://www.shef.ac.uk/~fencing/ (no idea how out of date it is...)

Sheffield is a HUGE university (I went there for an interview when I was applying for universities and have been back since for a work related course). There is a huge student body, huge and very active student's union. Best to go and visit and see if you like the feel of the place...

Sheffield Buccaneers is your local club (contact details on the university's fencing club website).

I am with Rory: Salle Kiss (contact details available on http://www.britishfencing.com/north_west_clubs.htm) and Manchester Fencing Club (http://www.manchesterfencingclub.org.uk/) are definitely worth looking into.

Boo

Aoife
-29th October 2004, 10:15
Thanks!

bufc99
-29th October 2004, 11:56
Originally posted by BigPappaBear
As for Uni life, I'll let someone younger cover that one, as I'll just sound like some old fogey reminiscing :)

Well as for Uni life all I can say is, it's great :grin: I know people have probably said this before but the time you spend in uni really are some of teh best years of your life. I've just failed too many exams and been thrown out but I'm still living here (mainly due to having to pay rent on a house) and still loving every minute of it. Wherever you go you'll have a great time.

Mantis
-29th October 2004, 13:43
To see which universities have fencing clubs have a look at the BUSA fixtures and results web page (http://www.busa.org.uk/fl/) (I couldn't get a direct link to the fencing page). There are probably other universites that haven't entered a team but I wouldn't know how to find out who they are - generally, if the university has a decent fencing club they will have at least one team entered in BUSA.

Oh, while we're at it, nice to see the Manchester are top of the Northern Premier division. :grin:

Boo Boo
-29th October 2004, 15:05
Aoife

How did you get on with applying for fencing bursaries at universities?

Boo

Aoife
-29th October 2004, 15:58
Got a couple of people saying if I got in they'd probably give me one, but not many at Unis I ended up applying for!

I guess I'll try again once some more offers have come in.

Boo Boo
-29th October 2004, 16:10
Which other universities have you applied for?

Boo

benjt
-2nd November 2004, 20:09
Hi there I was running the shef hallam uni club last year, as well as setting it up, and you would always be welcome with us. If it is Sheffield uni you are going to there is a thriving club there with good fencers in all weapons. There are plenty of fencing clubs in Sheffield and you can fence every night, mabe not Tues. Buccaners, my main club, has foil at a high level and there are two clubs on a Thursday night, one at the National Institute of Sport which is just the best sports facility in the country possibly in Europe!!! If you want any other details let me know.

Ben, hope to c u soon.:)

Rdb811
-2nd November 2004, 23:25

Something to do with the rapid onset of the big 30... shudder! :(

"Three years holiday at the tax payers expense" to quote Princess Anne - well maybe not anymore.

BigPappaBear
-3rd November 2004, 07:03
eee I remember those days... the grant cheque in the first week of term...

"Three years holiday at the tax payers expense" to quote Princess Anne - well maybe not anymore.

Figure I have probably paid more tax than Princess Anne, and certainly more than I've ever had out of the government, whilst I was a student/unemployed. Figure this is another debate for another time :)

bufc99
-4th November 2004, 00:13
eee I remember those days... the grant cheque in the first week of term...

grant check. You lucky, lucky bas**rd.

I've got student loan. Since I've been thrown out of uni for buggering up too many exams, luckily though it looks like I've now got a job starting on monday for the next 3 months.

This post might not make that much sense, but for anyone who has been a student at bham. I've just done a harbourne run hence the slight randomness.

Threestain
-4th November 2004, 07:01
Try 6 long years of debt...

BigPappaBear
-4th November 2004, 07:27
I would point out that the grant we got in our day was nominal...
A few years prior to starting it was somewhat more significant, and you could claim benefit during the holidays! (I missed that glorious period in our education :( )

I'm still paying my student loans off if that makes you feel any better...

One day it will all be gone... :party: :party: :party:

Cheetara
-4th November 2004, 14:02
Sheffield's good. The Uni club is enthusiastic and very friendly, and it has some decent foilists. (I think they'll still be around next year too). The women's team exist too. (I was there 2002/2003 and still speak to people there.)

As far as the city goes, it doesn't quite have a choice of clubs every night of the week but there's plenty of places to go at weekends. The pubs are very good and it's a friendly city.

Lancaster Uni's club is good too by the way. (Not that I'm trying to recruit or anything).