PDA

View Full Version : Male chest protections in foil

tomanepb
-31st October 2004, 16:01
Mister Rene Roch anounced that male chest protections are forbidden in men's foil. The European Junior Championships are taking place in Portugal (Espinho), and many fencers were preparing to use chest protectors, beacause under certain circunstances, the point bounces and the hit doesn't score. Now, according to what he said, only with medical prescription it will be possible to ware one. About lady's foil they, (FIE) are going to study a new type of protection.

Robert
-31st October 2004, 17:48
This differs from the information that has so far filtered on to this board. Do you have a source?

Robert

tomanepb
-31st October 2004, 18:05
This differs from the information that has so far filtered on to this board. Do you have a source?

Robert

Today in the referee's meeting at the European Junior Campionships, there was a letter from FIE, telling that in foil competitions male chest protections were not allowed, unless the athelete has a medical prescription.

António

rpryer
-31st October 2004, 20:57
The official letter from the FIE is here (http://www.fie.ch/download/letters/2004/urgent/21/en/Lettre%20urgente%20%2021-04-ANG.pdf) - it only appears to prohibit wearing a chest protector outside the jacket, directly underneath the lame.

The letter also points out the rule requiring a chest protector only applies to women.

Australian
-31st October 2004, 21:17
i think the arbitrage at the Junior Europeans have been instructed specifically on this issue.

Ian Hunter can enlighten us when he returns.

Boo Boo
-31st October 2004, 22:34
Originally posted by tomanepb
About lady's foil they, (FIE) are going to study a new type of protection.

:confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

ChubbyHubby
-1st November 2004, 09:15
just popping along to a doctor to show some bruises after a competition will be enough to get a "prescription"/doctor's letter anyway....

Me thinks Mr. Roch is not so bright :moon:

ChubbyHubby
-1st November 2004, 09:24
...besides I am sure they haven't actually banned it as such, just wearing under the lame. It does not forbid male chest proctectors. Rather, it states that such hard surface protectors may not be worn between the lame and the jacket. Text from the letter Mr. Dumb **** (sorry, Mr. President of FIE) wrote:
------------------------------------------
Ladies and Gentlemen
Urgent letter 21-04
28 October 2004,
I. Fencing clothing
The FIE has been informed by an Austrian club of the occurrence of
some speculative practices in response to the application at foil of the
new contact timings for the judging apparatus.
After consulting the SEMI, the Executive Committee has decided
to forbid fencers from putting any hard surface directly
underneath the lamé jacket (conductive over-jacket) and on top
of the fencing jacket.
The Rules specify, in Article m.25, that “Ladies' equipment must,
furthermore, include, in the jacket, breast protectors made of metal or
some other rigid material". Obviously this Article is only applicable to
women.
------------------------------------------

em...I wonder if wearing a metal one would offset the effects of wearing it under the jacket?

sparkymark567
-1st November 2004, 11:09
Originally posted by tomanepb
Now, according to what he said, only with medical prescription it will be possible to ware one. About lady's foil they, (FIE) are going to study a new type of protection.

So the FIE really are making it up as they go along. All the latest rulings (including that of the off target contact time) seem to be based on pure speculation and hear say.

It does not state in the rules, or in any other documentation that male chest protectors are forbidden.

Arturo
-1st November 2004, 18:52
I guess the FIE just forgot that athletes will do anything they can to give themselves a competitive advantage, which probably means they haven't been paying attention to the many doping scandals surrounding every sport these days.

Has anyone seriously considered the idea of a full trunk body protector? Would that be against FIE rules? Could you argue you're trying to protect other vital organs?

oddball
-4th November 2004, 13:13
A suit of armour for epee perhaps?

gbm
-4th November 2004, 15:39
Originally posted by oddball
A suit of armour for epee perhaps?

Might make you slower and easier to hit...

What you really want is a surface coating to a jacket that makes it very hard e.g. melt the surface fibres.