PDA

View Full Version : BUSA Leagues Rules Confusion

Maxim
-3rd November 2004, 21:48
There has been some confusion with interpreting the rule "All matches shall be between teams of three fencers, with or without a reserve" I know for a fact that there has been a misunedrstanding in the South-Eastern 2A where some teams thought they are only allowed four fencers who are supposed to fence all weapons (instead of 4 per weapon) It would be nice if BUSA could clarify the meaning of the rule (especially useful for the teams new to the leagues).

Chris
-4th November 2004, 01:39
I think it's typically been interpreted as 3 fencers per weapon with a reserve, not 3 in total. I'm sure that's the intended meaning of the rules...getting 3 fencers to fence all 3 weapons is a pretty stupid idea :P.

Mantis
-4th November 2004, 08:06
I gave up on the 'official' BUSA rule book when I read that matches were to be carried out according to 'AFA rules'. Anyone still got an old AFA rule book? Maybe they have got round to changing this now. I wouldn't be surprised if there is ambiguity due to it being written by non-fencers.

Originally posted by Maxim
"All matches shall be between teams of three fencers, with or without a reserve"

Yes. Your foil team has 3 fencers, optionally with a reserve, your epee team has 3 fencers, optionally with a reserve, and your sabre team has 3 fencers, optionally with a reserve. :grin:

So your full team, comprising 3 teams :dizzy:, can be made up of between 3 and 12 people. I suppose it would be better to use the word 'squad' but I don't suppose it really matters.