PDA

View Full Version : foil body wire

foilerist
-28th May 2003, 12:29
what do the three prongs do on a body wire, is it two to complete the circuit and one to earth for off target hits. if so which is which???:confused:

Mantis
-28th May 2003, 12:44
Not quite. Two pins connect to the wire running down the blade and the blade itself and these make the complete circuit which is broken when you make a hit. The pin connecting to the blade also acts to earth out the guard. The third pin connects to your jacket, so that a new circuit is made when your opponent hits you.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the two pins close together go to the sword while the other connects to your jacket.

Bye,

Joe

foilerist
-28th May 2003, 12:48
you're close about the pins i just took a body wire apart and the jacket prong is the outside of the two close prongs. so if i'm testing for continuity i would just use the prongs that go to the wire and the blade to check the wire or faulty points

neevel
-28th May 2003, 17:43
At the three-pin plug, the lines are:

A __ B ______C

C is the circuit ground, B is the 'hot' line, and A is the clip for the lame.

B and C are the lines that go to the foil. On a two-prong foil plug, C is the thicker pin and B is the thin one. For Leon Paul bayonet plugs, B is the very end of the plug (the screw above the plastic insulation), and C is everything below that.

You're looking for 1 ohm or less on each line (i.e., B-to-B, C-to-C, A-to-A). It's also a good idea to check for any crossover (B-to-C, C-to-A, B-to-A). You want to flex and tug the wire coming out of the plugs when testing it-- slightly loose screws or breaks inside the insulation may not show when the cord isn't being stressed.

-Dave

pinkelephant
-28th May 2003, 18:22
An easier way to remember which wire is which at the bayonet end is "middle to middle". The central pin of the bayonet end goes to the middle pin at the spool end.:)

stevejackson
-28th May 2003, 20:29
Adding to the easy to remember ideas.
Foil is far = ie for foil you use the pin furthest away from the middle as the other wire to the weapon.

On the other hand Epee is near the middle and the nearest pin are the two you connect together to register a hit at epee.

Just to be perverse sabre uses the far pair but the far pin not the centre one for it's signal wire.