PDA

View Full Version : Lpjs help me please

kingkenny
-9th November 2004, 12:09
Ok I am doing the LPJS calendar again and I need pictures and any stories comments or articles. I can credit people so 2400 people will see your name. :cool: Any quotes or comments please post them here or email me.

Please help as the book may have a snazzy cover but its contenct could be improved.

kingkenny
-9th November 2004, 13:00
11 views and no answers!!!!!

kingkenny
-9th November 2004, 14:01
Still no help!!!!

Lynne
-9th November 2004, 14:45
As a fencer, coach, referee and mum, I think that the LPJS is a wonderful way of introducing young fencers to competitions. My own children love them, and we are now able to introduce more of our club fencers to some of them. The atmosphere is almost always wonderful, and the organisers have always been fantastic.

Parents are learning about the rules in an informal setting too, so that they know what they can and can't do on behalf of their young fencer.

Perhaps LPJS could run refereeing seminars for parents at these comps so that they can either join in as refs, or just follow what's going on more easily. When I ref, and parents question, I try to explain what's going on, but there isn't really time during a poule.

I'd like to run a Birmingham Leon Paul Juniro Foil. Now that SImon Trinder is retiring (or is that just a rumour), who do I contact with my vision?

Lynne Melia

PS You can quote the first bit, but not the rest!

kingkenny
-9th November 2004, 15:00
Contact Leon Paul on 02073888132 and talk to Joan Paul best to call on a Monday morning. Or email sales@leonpaul.com

As a fencer, coach, referee and mum, I think that the LPJS is a wonderful way of introducing young fencers to competitions. My own children love them, and we are now able to introduce more of our club fencers to some of them. The atmosphere is almost always wonderful, and the organisers have always been fantastic. I may use this in the book. Do you want a credit.

Lynne
-9th November 2004, 15:13
Well, I was mentioned earlier on the forum as a "lady ref, surely no more than 26" - you could use that! :grin:

Still haven't met Tubby!

Not bothered really.

PM1
-9th November 2004, 18:11
Not bothered about meeting my mate Tubby??????!!!! Will have to see what I can set up:grin: :eek:

Twohat
-9th November 2004, 20:36
Daughter has done all the epee rounds so far this year, I think, and has enjoyed the experience. It has definitely done her good to fence in a series like this with other girls of similar age.
Probably won't do the last three rounds because of travel and other commitments - it has been useful having the first half of the season all reasonably accessible from the North of England, and spanning an otherwise quiet time as far as Youth fencing goes.

I would echo what Lynne says about the atmosphere and the organisers - we can't think of one that wasn't very good.

Foilling Around
-9th November 2004, 21:08
I have run Leon Paul Series sabre and foil events for over 10 years and the greatest pleasure I get is seeing our fencers mixing with fencers from all over the country and making new friends. They then fence each other, try their hardest to win and sit down to chat again. It is this social side which the LPJS series provides which keeps young fencers in the sport even when the going get tough.

My daughter and the girls she started fencing with at the age of 9 in the LPJS foil series recently flew to Slovakia to fence with Great Britain Cadet Squad. What a journey through fencing they have made together all made possible by the LPJS series!

Kingkenny - You can use any of the above, adapted if you wish.

Incidentally Lynne, make sure you have plenty of valium to hand if you decide to run an LPJS! Birmingham would be a good location.

What's this about a blind date with Lynne and Tubby! (I find this amusing because I know both of you but you don't seem to know each other).

PM1
-9th November 2004, 21:49
Originally posted by Foilling Around
What's this about a blind date with Lynne and Tubby! (I find this amusing because I know both of you but you don't seem to know each other).

Ditto - I know both of them very well, too !! and the spouses and sprogs of each, too...:confused:

Bit of a joke, this "fixing up" thingy, but another part of LPJS, really - parents from all over the UK get to meet up and forge alliances and friendships too, not just the fencers. Tho' by no means a dating agency (!)

I reckon they would be a match for each other in many a way, don't you, foiling around?? Neither slow to let anyone know what they think, both good refs, and both good supporters of youth fencing. And I'd like to count them as mates, too (slurp slurp).

As for the LPJS series - It's what got Rich interested and motivated, and used to travelling for his sport. Good organisation, good friendship, and good sport. Everyone working together.

Not sure I have any photos of this year, but will check. Sure Tubs will have.

I shall miss the series (boy now 16 and too busy doing opens, etc) :( but we wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Lynne
-10th November 2004, 06:02
Originally posted by Lynne

Still haven't met Tubby!

Not bothered really.

Sorry, very bad organisation! Not bothered about a reference, dying to meet someone who thinks I'm younger than I really am (even if it's only a few years!):eyerise:

pinkelephant
-10th November 2004, 08:16
LPJS is a wonderful series - mine used to do the foil events, but then J decided to try epee, won his first comp, and has been doing it ever since. (Though after the MF result at the Welsh he's threatening to get the old foils out for Hereford & Worcester!)

My abiding memory of a LPJS foil was when B (now a sabreur) drew Corin Beck in the DE. Seeing the writing on the wall, we offered B 5 a hit. BIG mistake - I swear they got together beforehand and divvied up the proceeds afterwards!

kingkenny
-10th November 2004, 12:41
Just spoke to Simon Trinder and the rumor of him retiring may well be wrong.

Winwaloe
-10th November 2004, 12:54
Just to add support, the LPJS is a really first class series of comps, all slightly different and all a good learning curve. My fencers take part in most (working on all) and have a really good time. I have found it more friendly than the Premier and also more open. Organisation is invariably good (special well done to Truro/Bude). Meet some real characters, not just Simon T, and the "youngsters" do make some good friends from other clubs/areas. In turn, this helps the fencers to encounter and cope with different styles/techniques that they may not have across before. Equally they meet different styles of refing and application of local "rules" and interpretation, again all good and very valuable experience for youngsters. Well done all those involved in LPJS and look forward to 2005

Danny_Boy
-10th November 2004, 21:08
For me, the LPJS provided my first real experience of competetive fencing at a national level. It introduced me to a circuit of competitions with people I fenced regularly who I was also able to form friendships with. Almost all LPJS competitions are well organised and have a great atmosphere. I'm now fencing regularly on the British senior open circuit as well as in international tournaments; I couldn't have had a better introduction and preparation for this than the Junior Series.

Feel free to use that in the book if you want, Kenny. Daniel Randall's the name if you want to credit it. (2,400 people seeing my name sounds nice.)

-

Danny Boy

Foilling Around
-10th November 2004, 21:14
It's called attention seeking behaviour Dan. You can get therapy for it!!

PM1
-10th November 2004, 21:49
It's also about 15 minutes of fame...or infamy...

But you're worth it !!;)

PM1
-10th November 2004, 22:10
KK - found a few photos of Durham and Warwick epee - sent them email tonight.;)

Danny_Boy
-11th November 2004, 11:12
It's called attention seeking behaviour Dan. You can get therapy for it!!

Therapy's expensive. I'd rather just get the attention.

-

Danny Boy

kingkenny
-11th November 2004, 12:12
I have used quotes from:

Foilling Around
Winwaloe
Danny_Boy
and
Lynne

So Danny you have a credit but I need names for the rest.
Thankyou all.

kingbob
-11th November 2004, 12:23
Originally posted by Kingkenny
Just spoke to Simon Trinder and the rumor of him retiring may well be wrong.

good, he is a great person and a great salesman, makes me reach for my wallet every time i talk to him. :sabre:

gbm
-11th November 2004, 12:35
Is it true that Simon Trinder sells aluminium handles from the LP reject bin?

kingbob
-11th November 2004, 12:36
what weapon, foil, epee or sabre?

gbm
-11th November 2004, 12:47
Foil and epee handles are the same!

Except that one has paint on and one doesn't - but if they've been rejected, they won't have made it to the painting stage.

kingbob
-11th November 2004, 14:17
i think he, is but you will get a better answer off him.

Tubby
-11th November 2004, 23:47
Originally posted by Lynne
Well, I was mentioned earlier on the forum as a "lady ref, surely no more than 26" - you could use that! :grin:

Still haven't met Tubby!

Not bothered really. The really tragic pathos filled thing is we've spoken, briefly touched hands and one remembers and the other (filed the experience in the dust bin) doesn't. :endworld:

(Wish there was a Marvin android smilie)

Foilling Around
-12th November 2004, 11:57
"life, don't talk to me about life."

PM1
-12th November 2004, 18:12
"42!!42"":)

Keith.A.Smith
-12th November 2004, 18:23
The LPJS is fgabtastic and as the founder of the Epee Series, having run the first epee event at Whitgift, when Barbara Paul was in charge I have been really pleased to see the series develope into all three weapons and also team events.

It has undoubedtly encourgaed Youth fencing.

Well done to al the organisers, referees, fencers, coaches and parents not to mention Leon Paul.

Keith

Foilling Around
-12th November 2004, 22:39
Of course all our problems are because we dont count in base 13.

gbm
-13th November 2004, 08:55
Originally posted by Foilling Around
Of course all our problems are because we dont count in base 13.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, A, B, C, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 1A, 1B, 1C, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 2A, 2B, 2C, 30, 31,32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 4A, 4B, 4C, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 5A, 5B, 5C, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 6A, 6B, 6C, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 7A, 7B, 7C, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 8A, 8B, 8C, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 9A, 9B, 9C, A0, A1, A2, A3, A4, A5, A6, A7, A8, A9, AA, AB, AC, B0, B1, B2, B3, B4, B5, B6, B7, B8, B9, BA, BB, BC, C0, C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, C6, C7, C8, C9, CA, CB, CC, 100.

Foilling Around
-13th November 2004, 13:16
And so on that basis 8 x 7 = 42 and so all of our problems are solved.

Sorry this is so off thread!

Lynne
-13th November 2004, 13:39
Originally posted by Tubby
The really tragic pathos filled thing is we've spoken, briefly touched hands and one remembers and the other (filed the experience in the dust bin) doesn't. :endworld:

(Wish there was a Marvin android smilie)

ER, Read the whole thread! Tend to get stressed and forgetful when concentrating on reffing!