How about having some new topic areas as following:

University Fencing / BUSA

Youth Fencing

Moose
-28th May 2003, 21:56
We really should have a Uni/BUSA forum

Jambo
-29th May 2003, 10:03
Doing as I'm told and seconding this suggestion! A BUSA section would be good.

Cheetara
-29th May 2003, 10:12
I agree BUSA section would be really really good. It would be really really good for people in uni clubs to get to know each other a bit more.

Jambo
-29th May 2003, 10:13
Thats what drunken socials are for :grin:

Mantis
-29th May 2003, 10:13
I agree with that too, although I will not be in university fencing much more. I suppose I could sit around like the old man that I am moaning about how it was much better in my day.

NLSC Sabreur
-29th May 2003, 10:37
How about a Footwork section under General Fencing Discussion? It's not Off Piste and it applies to more than one weapon. We could have topics like why is footwork so much better in continental fencers? or does anyone like footwork practice (I know some that do)?

wingnutLP
-29th May 2003, 10:48
The slight problem I have with breaking the forum up much more is that I have noticed a slight tenency for threads to wander off topic.

If the forum is more divided and threads still wander off topic then it will be imposible to use the forum as a resource (archive) and it will just become a soapbox for asking questions from.

If you guys try to look at the title of the forum you are in before posting (about beer!!) then we can add as many subdivisions as you want...

I am not trying to make this sound like a moan but it would be nice if threads that provided good answers to questions were easy to find in the future. That way it would avoid people asking the same questions over and over (and mean less typing for all you helpful people out there).

All of the suggestions we have had for new areas have merrit and there are many more that we want to add over time. I guess the question is if there are more forums do you think it will encourage people to post in the right place or will it break the site up more?

oiuyt
-29th May 2003, 16:20
Originally posted by wingnut
If you guys try to look at the title of the forum you are in before posting (about beer!!) then we can add as many subdivisions as you want...

Ooooohhh, a section dedicated to beer. THERE'S a good idea. :)

-B :)

Moose
-29th May 2003, 19:29
You will always get mindless posting like this on any forum you care to visit on the net. Its what encourages a community spirit.

Oh and the beer section sounds like fun :grin:

Cheetara
-29th May 2003, 19:55
Back on topic I'm afraid

I think having a separate space for university fencers would be a really good idea and also helpful for team captains/club presidents etc. In my experience a university sports unions and students unions tend to neglect fencing as it counts as a minority sport and so doesn't get enough funding, publicity and the rest.
Any advice on how to get outside funding and publicity is always helpful as it is difficult to come up with ideas. A separate space on the forum would enable club committee members from different universities to share ideas. It would also provide support for trying to get more money out of the universities. If club committee members know what is going on at other universities then whoever funds the club within the university is more likely to listen.

A lot of fencers start at university and so having good university clubs would benefit british fencing in general. The needs of a university club are different to those of a normal club mainly due to the fact that the members generally join on a 3 year rotation and the committee members often change every year. If there was lots of advice all in one place then this can only be a good thing.

My experience of university clubs is that I was Club president and women's captain in the same year. Along with filling in for other committe members who took on too much.

As for going off topic, I'm not sure it would happen any more in this section than in any other. Uni fencers are probably just as enthusiastic about actually fencing as other hobby fencers.

Just including this coz it's cool
:eyerise:

Rdb811
-30th May 2003, 14:24
Can I request a section for clun management / publicity to break up the off piste section ?

Rdb811
-30th May 2003, 14:25
Originally posted by Moose
You will always get mindless posting like this on any forum you care to visit on the net. Its what encourages a community spirit.

What - everybody gangs up against you ?

Hudson
-30th May 2003, 15:08
a thread on how advice on how to set up clubs and get them of the ground would help.

Moose
-30th May 2003, 15:11
People only gang up on you if you post random spam, nobody here does that, yes the post may be not off topic, but its usually something funny :grin:

Rdb811
-30th May 2003, 22:56
Originally posted by Moose
the post may be not off topic, but its usually something funny :grin:

I.e. on topic ???

I enjoy the exchange bewteen you and Hudson et al - occasionally though, it does get in th way of serious debate.

Moose
-31st May 2003, 05:11
I appreciate where you're coming from, I admin 2 forums when I'm not posting on this one, and do understand the need to keep things track. On here tho, topics dont tend to get off topic until after the initial question has been answered. People just keep responding when they get an email telling them that someone has replied.

If you want to keep threads on topic then you have a couple of random forums where anything goes. There is the chit chat forum here, but one forum isnt really enough, if this were purely a resource for asking questions etc then that would be ok, but it isn't and I think its good in that respect. In the grand scheme of things the vast majority of us are hobby fencers, I know my limits, I fence for fun (and bankruptcy) and in that respect I use this not only as a resource, but as a place to talk to like minded individuals. We may not be talking about fencing, but we are fencers talking, for me the aspect of fencing that I enjoy is the social side, the going to the pub after training for food and beer. I enjoy the social side so much that instead of simply ordering some LP stuff over the phone that I'd spend 40, jump on a train and go to the shop, mainly just to say hello.

I'd like to stress Roger that I'm in no way having a poke at you mate, I just fancied telling the world about why I'm the way I am :grin: I know that I've probably pissed a few people off with the crap that I post, not least of all Kingkenny, who has to moderate it all, and its not the easiest job in the world to do. I'm the first to admit that most of what I post is trivial, but it keeps me coming back, and it does so for a lot of others too, I don't think that anyone has been chased off by it.

That was "The World According to Moose", incidentally the soundtrack is available in the foyer :grin:

Rdb811
-31st May 2003, 15:39
Point taken - I will say no more.

Aoife
-31st May 2003, 19:16
That Moose, is one of the smartest things I've ever heard you say (except perhaps that discussion about sexual ethics in the workplace... that showed a degree of depth).

Some people may have noticed.... recently I've been trying to keep thread on topic! (failing most of the time, but trying nonetheless!)

Anyway, now I've taken this one off topic. So... I think it would be good to have a Uni Fenicng forum, because I'm gogint o uni in two years and need to know about Uni fencing (yes, I'm selfish, I know, I just don't want to stop fencing)

gladiator
-31st May 2003, 22:02
We already have area for the elitist fencers (worlds, a grades, olympics).

I think that there would be good demand for a uni/busa section. This would give students an area to discuss all things related to uni fencing and how everyones doing, finding out whos who etc. This would keep it away from the other threads where many people may not be interested in reading. Who apart from other uni fencers wants to hear who did what against whom and who was seen in a dark corner of the bar after the match with whom. Gossip - part of what forums appear to be for. Meeting new people with whom you have something in common and students are known for this. This may bring the unis from across the country together for a bit of a laugh after the matches.

I don't expect that busa would bind at all and would probably realise that it cannot be a bad thing - knowing some people from busa and may even encourage it.

Anyway, don't think it would have any bad effects and think many people would like to find out what really goes on in uni fencing!

Moose
-2nd June 2003, 05:34
Originally posted by Aoife
That Moose, is one of the smartest things I've ever heard you say (except perhaps that discussion about sexual ethics in the workplace... that showed a degree of depth).

See, I'm not quite as shallow as it may sometimes seem :grin:

Cheetara
-2nd June 2003, 09:48
Please can we have a BUSA/Uni section?

bufc99
-2nd June 2003, 10:05
Being a Uni fencer, Please can we have a BUSA/Uni Section

Rdb811
-2nd June 2003, 10:21
Not being a uni fencer, please can we have a Busa/ uni section ?

gladiator
-2nd June 2003, 10:23
Go On, you know you really want to give us a uni/busa section!

Rdb811
-2nd June 2003, 10:27
Originally posted by NLSC Sabreur
How about a Footwork section under General Fencing Discussion? It's not Off Piste and it applies to more than one weapon. We could have topics like why is footwork so much better in continental fencers? or does anyone like footwork practice (I know some that do)?

How about a section on 'Early Nights' and 'Eating your Greens' while we're at it.

Cheetara
-2nd June 2003, 10:28
you really really do

(Do you reckon threatening to fill all the other sections with stuff about who's fencing who next year and which unis give good teas would help? My vote's for liverpool. you get pizza!)

Mantis
-2nd June 2003, 10:28
Hey, I've just had a great idea! How about a Uni/BUSA section?