PDA

View Full Version : forging methods

DrT
-29th May 2003, 11:48
Can some one explain to me what the different forging methods used (by BF and LP for example) are and why they produce different blades?

Also, what's all this white, gold, blue, pink (well, maybe not pink) is all about?

Sasori
-29th May 2003, 15:58
they paint them different colours so they can sell more..

cynical?? Moi??:rolleyes:

wingnutLP
-29th May 2003, 22:02
As sasori says the coloured blades are identical in composition to the non coloured blades. The colouring usually comes from a chemical treatment applied to finished blades.

Forging is a complex process a blank is normally made from 9mm or similar rod which is "tanged" and then forged in an electronic forge (four hammers and a large RF heater). The forged blade is then heat treated, ground with progressively finer grades of grit 2-4 times (on each side) slotted, threaded, heat treated twice more and then sanded again!! Finally it is stamped and then coated in rust preventitive oil before being wired etc...

The process is very labour intensive and different manufacturers use different materials and a different number of stages which leads to the variations.

Barry Paul
-30th May 2003, 09:25
Hi, If you look at my answer do flicky blades last longer some of the question is answered.

Surface colourations can be a sign of subsequent final heat treatment as in our Paul France blade, which has a final stress releiving heat treatment. The temperature of which happens to turn the blade golden.

Other Chemical surface treatments create a surface layer which reflects light in different colours. Despite claims to the contary these layers mainly of oxide all increase the surface resistance.

The only other surface trestment which makes a difference is surface peening as found on the Flickmaster. Barry Paul MD Leon Paul

bydande
-30th May 2003, 11:32
It was explained to me as follows:

The colouration of the blade from some forges (BF, LP) indicates that a different tempering process has taken place which results in a different life expectancy or flexibility or something for the coloured blades. The different colouration may be a direct result of the process (see Barry's explanation above) or an after colouring added to indicate the tempering process that was used (BF do this). For these blades the colouring does indicate that they are different from the ordinary (white) blades produced by the same company.

However, some manufacturers (such as SM I think - but not sure so please dont quote me) merely colour the blades for ashetic/marketing puposes. These blades have not had a special tempering process and are no different from the plain (white) blades sold by the same company.

This and Barry's answer above would appear to suggest that some "coloured" blades are worth paying extra for (LP and BF) - but some arent. Caveat Emptor.

wingnutLP
-13th June 2003, 11:45
To my knowledge the coloured BF blades are not treated in any different way to the plain white ones (my understanding was that the extra price was to pay for the chemical colouring process).

I am not aware of what processes BF could be performing on their blades to improve them before they colour them. If anyone knows what the actual difference is between the physical processes and the result it has on the final blade I would be interested to hear.