PDA

View Full Version : Lesson Plans.

Adler
-6th December 2004, 17:54
I decided the other day that i try and write a set of coherent lesson plans,easier said than done, i've found it difficult to format them in a way that doesn't make me think that i was taking something illegal when i wrote them.
So do any of you have any system for lesson plans that i could poach or any advice on how to format them?

Thanks.

vil
-6th December 2004, 20:16
They have a few examples on fencing.net. I don't have a link handy, but they're not too hard to find if you click through the menus.

Adler
-8th December 2004, 19:58
Thanks i'll give it a look as soon as possible.

Winwaloe
-10th December 2004, 15:44
They used to show you how to do lesson plans on a BAF coaching course. Possibly they still do. As a basic model decide on the subject, cut it down to the very basic(s) then build on the natural progressions.

Aoife
-23rd December 2004, 20:56
I do a basic four step lesson usually:

Warm-up
Non-combative lesson (footwork et cetera)
Combative lesson (eg disengage)
Bouting and Feedback.

Sometimes I set written homework and/or tests, so I fit them in when necessary.

I also use the BFA guide sometimes of IDEA

I - Introduction (what you're about to show)
D - Demonstration (showing it)
E - Explanation (why it's used)
A - Application (how it can be used and giving it a go)

There is a standard school 'lesson plan' I recieved shortly before our OFSTED inspection a couple of weeks ago, but I found it didn't fit how I wanted to teach, and explained to the inspector who popped into my class that as a non-staff member who's not paid and not part of the curriculum I didn't want to use the recommended plan as it didn't fit the needs of fencing; they understood.

Aoife
-23rd December 2004, 20:58
Also, remember, unless you happen to be in a school in the one in five years OFSTED come in, your lesson plans normally only need to be understood by you. Do whatever help you; use diagrams, colour coding, stickers, numbers, or even just a biro and paper!

Adler
-2nd January 2005, 20:43
Originally posted by Winwaloe
They used to show you how to do lesson plans on a BAF coaching course. Possibly they still do. As a basic model decide on the subject, cut it down to the very basic(s) then build on the natural progressions.

I wasn't shown any lesson plans when i did a BAF coaching course i was however given some when i did my county coach award which work fine for individual lessons but are awkward for group sesions.

pinkelephant
-2nd January 2005, 21:55
Just don't hold the lesson plan in your hand while giving a lesson with the other - it doesn't inspire confidence.

Don't be afraid to deviate from a lesson plan in the light of what actually happens in the lesson - this applies to ANY sort of teaching or coaching. Good lessons are a partnership and rely on mutual feedback.

Winwaloe
-4th January 2005, 14:12
I was given lesson plan pro-forma at BAF and BFA coaching courses; they are quite similar. I didn't have any issues using them for either class or individual lessons. I think that the lesson plan can only be a guide an the progress through the plan will depend on a number of factors, that number usually increasing in a class lesson and increasing evn more if the class is very mixed in age and/or ability. I don't usuallu use a written plan now especially if working with the grading systems for BFA or BAF. However, it is good to keep a record of what you do. If I could organise it I would give every clum member their own training diary or record and am working on this at the moment -

Troll
-17th January 2005, 19:52
i was at bfa

beeast64
-17th March 2006, 02:03
;) what is your email address coz i have just spent 2 days writing a near pefect lesson for beginers

AMC
-17th March 2006, 11:56
Lesson plans are ok, but as you get to know your fencers you know what you are going to do before you start. This may change as the lesson progresses due to the fencer doing well/not doing well/feeling a bit unwell etc. Also looking at your fencer sparing before a lesson may also change what you do.

I remember when I did my exam's there was a phrase
Whole-Part-Whole. I still use this method and you could use this in a lesson plan.:)

gbm
-17th March 2006, 12:07
Seriously old thread warning!
beeast64 is about a year and a half too late I suspect!

Adler
-17th March 2006, 13:26
Originally posted by beeast64
;) what is your email address coz i have just spent 2 days writing a near pefect lesson for beginers

Perhaps you could post a copy, which would allow other coaches to see what their collegues are doing? (perhaps a coaching compendium thread?)

I'm always looking for new ideas when it comes to coaching.

Although I had been coaching for a while before posting this thread i was still building up my confidence and searching for my own style so lesson plans helped me a great deal.

drunken master
-21st March 2006, 22:57
Here's the formula I generally stick to in my classes:

1. Warm-up (shuttle runs, games, stretches etc.)

2. Footwork

3. Revision (queue lessons can be very effective here).

4. Use the revised material as a basis for introducing something new.

5. A few exercises focused specifically on developing the chosen stroke (the simpler, the better).

6. Slowly build up complexity, until the situation approaches competitive (make them move about, introduce two or three alternative choices, focus on timing, distance etc.; but keep the phrases short, so that they focus on technique and functionality rather than painting by numbers).

7. A quick knock-about.

8. Footwork/fitness (time permitting).

Marcos
-23rd March 2006, 13:18
nothing wrong with lesson plans

I often scribble a few things down to prepare for the footwork section - means that I don't forget what I wanted to do - also means that (I think) the footwork section of the session is more interesting and fresh as you don;t get bogged down doing the same stuff each week.

What helps me with the individual / group lessons is thinking about a theme for the session

it might be counter attacks, 2nd intention, bladework, simple attacks, etc

then whichever weapon I am teaching I use a similar lesson based on the theme (obviously tailored slightly to who I'm teaching). far less strenous than thinking new stuff up for each student (by the end of the season you'd have gone nuts!)

Marcos
-18th August 2006, 10:22
the canadian website has some excellent coaching ideas