PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Students Individuals

D'Artignan
-6th January 2005, 16:53
Anyone else planning on going to this?
Are the entry forms out yet?

More importantly, where the hell is the post fencing drinking going to take place?

myopic
-7th January 2005, 13:32
Hi D'artignan

Certainly hope some other people are coming. Entry forms will be out soon, after Aberdeen and myself sort out whether one of them will be directoiring or I will.

Are you on the SASF mailing list?

If not PM me your email and I will add you.

Thanks.

SASF president

D'Artignan
-20th January 2005, 16:08
Cheers for the emails myopic.
Now my other question. The drinking, who's organising that?
The Aberdeen lot or we doing the old "Lets see who turns up and if we like them, we'll go get plastered with them " routine?:cheers2: :beer: :drinkbott :party: :duff1: :drink: :grin:

myopic
-21st January 2005, 10:15
As the event is in Sunny Aberdeen this year I would assume that everyone will will be staying overnight at least on the saturday (captive audiance).

Whether we all get on well enough to have one big event or whether the uni's will split up into rival drinking factions, who can say??

I'm sure the Aberdeen guys have something planned.

rory
-21st January 2005, 12:26
Dearie me, D'Artignan, you've been doing this for a while...

I remember a night spent drinking and playing pool with you at a Student comp (may even have been the individuals) in 1998/99!

myopic
-21st January 2005, 15:05
Ahem, well there are a few of us back for 'a second crack' at it.

However there will always be the excuse of 'not nearly as many times as Steve Rennie though!':burns2:

D'Artignan
-21st January 2005, 18:11
Erm.... this is my third crack at studentdom. Might actually get a qualification this time:tongue:
Have to get a proper job at the end of it, though:(

Rory, you sure it wasnt one of the many Inverclydes we've infested, sorry, competed at over the years?
Or was it the Teams thing that was in Glasgow somewhere?
Or was it the Individuals thing?
Or was it a BYC final?
Or was it...:sleep:

D'Artignan
-21st January 2005, 18:13
Myopic, that smilie was very unfair on Monty Burns

nessyfencer
-26th January 2005, 14:44
Looking forward to the comp myself, will be the first student type comp, so should be fun. And nice choice o venue, Aberdeen, lol, not that far from me and ace for nights out!!! Can't wait.

nessyfencer
-8th February 2005, 21:14
Originally posted by D'Artignan
Cheers for the emails myopic.
Now my other question. The drinking, who's organising that?
The Aberdeen lot or we doing the old "Lets see who turns up and if we like them, we'll go get plastered with them " routine?:cheers2: :beer: :drinkbott :party: :duff1: :drink: :grin:

Think there is a night out organised in Aberdeen. Ace place for night life, gotta try the 7 deadly sins!!! ;)

D'Artignan
-14th February 2005, 19:07
Craig, i cant be bothered emailing you, but when's the check-in for the men's foil? Oh, yeah, and what day? My work are only giving me one day off (*******s!) and I've lost the entry form with the info.
Cheers

PS That means after all my moaning, I can't do the drinking thing:upset:

Prometheus
-14th February 2005, 19:58
men, foil, Scotland?

Are you sure those words go together?

nirvana
-14th February 2005, 20:06
didnt the scottish mf team win 5nations though?

haggis
-14th February 2005, 20:08
Originally posted by Prometheus
men, foil, Scotland?

Are you sure those words go together?

Tut, tut, Prometheus. Do we really have to set messrs McKenzie, Chin, Jamieson, Cook et al on you. I'm sure that "new" Scot Richard Kruse might take issue with you. Now get away from the student playground...

Regards

Haggis

haggis
-14th February 2005, 20:08
Originally posted by nirvana
didnt the scottish mf team win 5nations though?

Oh yes, last 2 years, in fact.

Prometheus
-14th February 2005, 20:12
Originally posted by haggis
Tut, tut, Prometheus. Do we really have to set messrs McKenzie, Chin, Jamieson, Cook et al on you. I'm sure that "new" Scot Richard Kruse might take issue with you. Now get away from the student playground...

Regards

Haggis

Home grown as ever, eh, haggis?

Just sour grapes on my part as usual......after the V. disappointing 6 nations.

Roll on the Calcutta cup :) (England's last chance at dignity)

D'Artignan
-14th February 2005, 20:25
Not that we want to labour the point, but..... 2 years and counting actually:grin:

Prometheus
-14th February 2005, 20:25
yyyyaaaawwwwnnnnn

D'Artignan
-14th February 2005, 20:26
The rugby teams got a wooden spoon waiting for you sassenachs...
We'll gladly give it to you guys.
Please?

Prometheus
-14th February 2005, 20:59
You will need it for your porridge as usual won't you?

D'Artignan
-14th February 2005, 21:17
Nah, we've got shovels for that:grin:
Seriously, we've got loads of wooden spoons, almost as many as Wales, so we want rid of some. Plus you want to win something this year, don't you?:tongue:

nessyfencer
-14th February 2005, 22:38
How tough is the competition in a Student tournament? This will be my first student comp.

D'Artignan
-15th February 2005, 11:12
It depends what weapon. the foil for example has some very good fencers eligible to enter, like Scott Brodie, Gordon Jamieson(?), Jamie Sala, Kristian Turnbull, Michael Caldwell, me(!). Who actually bothers to turn up might be a different matter! Some good epeeists as well, but again, who turns up might not actually be the strongest fencers, not so sure about the sabre, though. Like most Scottish comps, it doesn't really get interesting till the L8, or L16 if someone has cocked up a poule. Having said that, the overall standard is only slightly less than that of say, the Glasgow or Highland Open.
What weapon(s) you doing BTW?

bucket
-15th February 2005, 11:36
The Bucket will be making his final, farewell appearance as a Student fencer at this comp (Graduate in June). Entry form permitting.

competiting in foil, and if can find a weapon in time, Epee - Yes, I am a sabreur but don't have enough kit to do it this time.

Hopefully do better than the last two times and come above the bottom 6.

If you see me, say Hi.

Pete "Bucket" Traill

D'Artignan
-15th February 2005, 11:54
Haven't heard from you for a while, Bucket. You haven't actually been working have you?:tongue:

myopic
-15th February 2005, 12:02
FAO D'artignan

Men's check in is 9.30 officially, but the hall is open from 9 so dont be shy about turning up a wee bit early to help everything run smoothly - and help put down tape as we cant get in to do that on friday night.

myopic
-15th February 2005, 12:05
Actually I think the standard this year might be a wee bit higher than the Glasgow Open in the men's events at least if ,as D'Artignan most of those eligible everyone turn up.

D'Artignan
-15th February 2005, 12:11
Oh yeah. I almost forgot, where is it?
Would help if I knew:blaaaa:

Sorry, couldn't resist the smilie

myopic
-15th February 2005, 12:27
You should just have got the full entry form in your email from the sasf list . . . should hep any other little forgetful souls too.

D'Artignan
-15th February 2005, 13:02
Cheers, Craig.
It was more a case of being slightly over-zealous with the delete button on my email account, than being forgetful (this time).
See you saturday

bucket
-16th February 2005, 15:48
Haven't heard from you for a while, Bucket. You haven't actually been working have you?:tongue:

Me? work ? Never. Just ask my supervisor.. :) Thought I was the cleaner until two weeks ago, only been working for him six months.

Been hiding in mountains doing "training montage" thing.

Ready to fence like I've never fenced before.

D'Artignan
-16th February 2005, 16:05
I can believe that thing about your supervisor thinking you were the cleaner, somehow! I've seen you wandering about campus, but not very often in the chemistry dept. or any where near the dept for that matter! You fencing foil for definite this weekend?
PS I know who you are, even if you don't know who I am!
(sorry, been wanting to say that to someone for ages:) )

nessyfencer
-18th February 2005, 22:53
See you all in the morning folks!!

Ronnie

D'Artignan
-20th February 2005, 12:35
Well, wasn't the foil fun?:( Bloody new timings. I tried to be diplomatic about them before I had fenced on them properly, but bloody hell!!!! They are sh^t!!! No wonder people are put off foil! In one DE fight I had 8 attacks, 6 ripostes and at least 4 stop hits land but not register!!! In one fight!!! I ended up losing the fight, but surely the timings weren't changed to make that big a difference?
At the moment I'm so p!ssed off with them I'm actually seriously thinking of taking up one of the other weapons (after all my epee and sabre bashing, too!).
One look at the results will tell you that something ain't right - Scott Brodie put out in the L16, Jamie Sala in the L16, me in the L8, having struggled to get there in the first place.
OK so I admit, fencing like a total muppet didn't exactly help my cause much, but come on!! Something has to be seriously wrong for guys of that calibre to muck up so badly, and you can't just put it down to one or two people having off days.
I'm going to shut up now before I end up saying something I will regret later, but I will be interested to hear what other people thought of the foil results and the "quality" of the fights

D'Artignan
-20th February 2005, 12:50
PS Apologies to anyone who was offended by my profanities yesterday, I was getting a bit frustrated!
Anyway, between Mr Brodie and myself, I think we both managed to invent some all-new sweary words, and I'm a little embarassed by it, being so mild-mannered and curteous normally:rolleyes:

gbm
-20th February 2005, 16:57
Are your swords properly taped? Were you trying 'straight' hits or flicks or 'nearly-a-graze' hits (i.e. anything that hits at an angle) that have always come on the old timings but rarely on the new?

D'Artignan
-20th February 2005, 17:02
I deliberately taped all my foils bfore and during the comp. and the "hits" were a mixture of all three types.
I think the point I was trying to make was that the new timings are actually to the detriment to the technically better fencers (on the evidence of this comp only, admitedly) which I do not think is good for the weapon

gbm
-20th February 2005, 17:11
I deliberately taped all my foils bfore and during the comp. and the "hits" were a mixture of all three types.
I think the point I was trying to make was that the new timings are actually to the detriment to the technically better fencers (on the evidence of this comp only, admitedly) which I do not think is good for the weapon

Fair enough then.

Direct straight hits not at an angle in my experience of me hitting people generally work. In my experience of being hit, they sometimes don't. Which is a bit odd, but I generally assume it is their kit (my hits work after all).
Grazing hits seem to very rarely come up, whereas in the old timings it was almost enough to simply connect lame and point and slip past.
Flicks sometimes work and sometimes don't in my experience of being flicked, but it seems to depend on the 'flicker' and the flicks rather than a random process - I got 'nuked from space' (as one of the fencing.net people calls it) by a flick for the first time on new timings by somebody at the Hampshire last Saturday.

nessyfencer
-20th February 2005, 17:32
Heh, was Saturday night fun :confused:

Was a good weekend though, even though I fenced terrible today!

D'Artignan
-20th February 2005, 17:36
I admit that I thought some of the postings about the new timings were a bit OTT, and reserved any real judgement until I had actually used them in competition, I am now of the opinion that the FIE can ram the timings up their jacksies.
While I agree that something had to be done about the quality of foil fencing (my own especially), I would have thought raising the quality might possibly be a better idea than removing it almost completely.
The changes seem to have been to the detriment of the more technically gifted fencers who have the ability to get their opponent running in circles, chasing shadows before hitting them.
A lot of the hits the better fencers lost were due to setting up the opponent, drawing the counter, then getting hit by the (usually) poorer fencer sticking their arm out and hoping that they got lucky.
That is not what foil fencing is about IMHO and never has been, and should never, ever under any circumstances should foil, of any weapon for that matter, be reduced to luck:soap:

D'Artignan
-20th February 2005, 17:37
Nessy, what did you think of the quality of the fencing on saturday?

nessyfencer
-20th February 2005, 17:46
I was reasonably impressed, would compair it to that of the highland open maybe. Some good fights and I had a lot finish 5-4 ish, always exciting. But agree with you about the timings, gonna take some time b4 everyone gets used to them I think.

D'Artignan
-20th February 2005, 17:53
Yeah, maybe 10 years, by which time the FIE will have changed them back.

nessyfencer
-20th February 2005, 18:07
Lol, yeah, very true.

Did I meet you at all D'Artignan, on or off piste?

D'Artignan
-20th February 2005, 18:11
I watched you fencing one of the St Andrews mob (doesnt really narrow it down much I know!) in the DE. Not sure which round, though. I was going to give you some advice during the break seeing as you didnt seem to have as much support as the other guy, but figured that since you were doing a good job of beating him that I didnt bother.
Thats assuming you are who I think you are.

nessyfencer
-20th February 2005, 18:16
Heh heh, nice one, thanks. Pretty sure you are talking about the match I won 15-8. Was it a bigish ginger headed fencer I was up against?

nessyfencer
-20th February 2005, 18:17
And yeah, I was the only person there as an only person there. The smallest group apart from me was a group of 4 from Edinburgh area, Queen Margerate's I think.

D'Artignan
-20th February 2005, 18:19
Yeah, the big ginger guy was the opponent I was watching you beat up.

D'Artignan
-20th February 2005, 18:21
BTW he didn't seem very impressed by getting beaten!
Though not as unimpressed as certain other fencers there (not talking about myself at all...:confused: )

nessyfencer
-20th February 2005, 18:21
Was quite pleased wi myself in that fight, started off kinda hit for hit, then I realised right, if this bloke wants to keep attacking attacking attacking, let him. After that I think he got 2 more hits on me just. Such fun!! Lol.

D'Artignan
-20th February 2005, 18:23
Didnt see you after that, who put you out in the end? And what round?

nessyfencer
-20th February 2005, 18:29
That put me up against the number1 seed in the L32. Forget his name, long surname though...

nessyfencer
-20th February 2005, 18:30
BTW he didn't seem very impressed by getting beaten!
Though not as unimpressed as certain other fencers there (not talking about myself at all...:confused: )

Lol, didn't notice how he reacted afterwards.

D'Artignan
-20th February 2005, 18:33
The look on his face suggested that he thought he might have been a bit better than you!
Not that he proved it!

nessyfencer
-20th February 2005, 18:33
Met a lot of good people this weekend though, especially during the night out. Is it just because it is a student comp that more people seem friendlier and willing to have a chat?

D'Artignan
-20th February 2005, 18:35
I take it you mean the tall leftie epeeist from St Andrews?
I've fenced him before - absolute git to fence, but he seems like a really nice guy!

nessyfencer
-20th February 2005, 18:38
Yeah, from St Andrews. Very tall. Was funny though when I got the first hit. Think I shocked him a bit.

My final place was 29th.

D'Artignan
-20th February 2005, 18:41
I think a lot of the mingling is to do with the fact that there are quite a lot of beginners and inexperienced fencers there.
Most of the other, more "serious" comps., I think the less experienced fencers have an inferiority complex and as a consequence are more hesitant than they would normally be. Most of the more senior fencers are more than happy to talk to anyone and give advice if asked, but I can understand why some of us appear to be aloof and unapproachable, maybe even a little clique-y. Generally we're not, but if you hear someone growling and swearing, it's probably best not to approach them for a while. Either that, or its me on the new timings again...

D'Artignan
-20th February 2005, 18:42
Let me guess, he beat you with stop hits and remises, with a few counter attacks thrown in?
I think I finished about 5th BTW

nessyfencer
-20th February 2005, 18:46
5th, well done.

D'Artignan
-20th February 2005, 18:54
Cheers, but I was expecting to get a medal at least, being a big-headed git.:)

D'Artignan
-20th February 2005, 18:56
Were you fencing today? If so, how did you get on? I would have but I couldn't be bothered and went home to drown my sorrows, which I made a much better job of than the fencing!:tongue:

nessyfencer
-20th February 2005, 19:00
Yeah, was fencing epee, did terrible though, was seeded 32 but got beat by 33 seed 15-13 during L64. No plate comp either (typical).

Never mind though, hopefully will start seeing some improvements in the near future, getting some regular coaching now for first time ever! :grin:

D'Artignan
-20th February 2005, 19:01
Always helps....

puffin85
-20th February 2005, 21:41
In all honesty, Scott Brodie lost because he was fencing really poorly - nothing to do with the new timings. To prove this point... lets remember he came 3rd at BUSA on the new timings. Jamie Sala out in the last 16?- I saw the fight and James Loggie creamed him... and from where I stood, would have had exactly the same result if on the old timings. I think Sala just lacks a proper training regime and coaching up ion Aberdeen.

How did the sabre go? Where there any inexplainible "oddities" there with respect to the new timings?

fitch
-21st February 2005, 08:00
well the new timings didn't affect MY fencing in the slightest. I don't see what the problem is.

Oh, I forgot, I only fence epee these days..... :moon:

Junkie
-21st February 2005, 09:24
I think the surprising thing was that jamie sala and james loggie met in the last 16 they both dropped a fight in the one round of pools (jamie to the aformentioned big left-handed st nadrews american). I think that a second round of pools that we didnt fence due to time constraints would have sorted out some of the anomolies in the seeding and avoided 2 fencers who both deserved to be in the last 8 meeting each other in the last 16.

nessyfencer
-21st February 2005, 09:37
Hey fitch, pretty sure I met you in one of my epee poules? I was the slightly dazed fencer with a milnes badge on my jacket.

Ronnie

puffin85
-21st February 2005, 14:04
Good point Junkie. I blame those abnormalities on the fact that the foil poule was sorted by random - not by seedings. Its not rocket science to realise that this will put two or more experienced fencers in the same poule, and none in others. I was talking to the main men, and apparently seedings were meant to be used - dont know what went wrong.

D'Artignan
-21st February 2005, 15:09
I wont argue that Scott wasn't fencing very well, but he would still have expected to beat Christophe (no offence Christophe!) fairly convincingly. I have no doubt that the timings played a big part in the final outcome.

nessyfencer
-21st February 2005, 15:57
Results are up here http://www.studentfencing.com/ just click on individuals at the top left ish.

D'Artignan
-21st February 2005, 16:07
I actually finished 6th:upset:
Still, at least there's next year. Oh, the joy, can hardly wait to use the new timings again.
F*****g things..fullmoon Thats where the FIE can shove them.....rantono

nessyfencer
-21st February 2005, 16:22
Originally posted by nessyfencer
That put me up against the number1 seed in the L32. Forget his name, long surname though...

It was Kimo Quaintance.

nessyfencer
-21st February 2005, 16:23
I actually finished 6th:upset:
Still, at least there's next year. Oh, the joy, can hardly wait to use the new timings again.
F*****g things..fullmoon Thats where the FIE can shove them.....rantono

Yeah, thought you would look forward to using them again! ;)

D'Artignan
-21st February 2005, 16:26
What gave you that idea?:grin:

fitch
-21st February 2005, 20:39
Hey fitch, pretty sure I met you in one of my epee poules?

yup

might see you again at the glasgow if ur there

Aer
-3rd March 2005, 08:35
i missed the individuals cos if the lergy thats going around st andrews :( - was going to be my last scottish student comp too :(

ho hum.

nessyfencer
-3rd March 2005, 11:15
Originally posted by Aer
i missed the individuals cos if the lergy thats going around st andrews :( - was going to be my last scottish student comp too :(

ho hum.

what's lergy?

fitch
-3rd March 2005, 13:17
what's lergy?

it's a big hairy blue thing (rather like a cross between a wookie and the thing in that bioyoghurt-r-whateveritwas advert) that roams Fife after dark, looking for foilists for his dinner.

Aer obviously had a run-in with this beast, and was so knackered after running away that he missed check-in. Either that or it bit his sword-arm off.

vil
-3rd March 2005, 13:35
:funnyman: Post of the month!

D'Artignan
-3rd March 2005, 16:20
Fitch wasn't joking - I've been attacked too:(

nessyfencer
-6th March 2005, 12:28
Originally posted by fitch

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
what's lergy?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it's a big hairy blue thing (rather like a cross between a wookie and the thing in that bioyoghurt-r-whateveritwas advert) that roams Fife after dark, looking for foilists for his dinner.

Aer obviously had a run-in with this beast, and was so knackered after running away that he missed check-in. Either that or it bit his sword-arm off.

Aah, of course :rolleyes:

MakeTradeFair
-7th March 2005, 22:45
Maybe it was the lergy that has stolen my Mens Sabre trophy.

D'Artignan
-7th March 2005, 22:47
I think you'll find that was Andy Clarke

MakeTradeFair
-7th March 2005, 22:56
Errr... nope - cos that would be me. And despite winning the thing not once but twice ... no sign of my shiny pot.

D'Artignan
-7th March 2005, 22:58
Originally posted by MakeTradeFair
Errr... nope - cos that would be me. And despite winning the thing not once but twice ... no sign of my shiny pot. Your location thingy confused me. Evil git! ha ha :mad: :mad: :mad: :) :mad: :mad: :moon:

MakeTradeFair
-7th March 2005, 23:04
Your location thingy confused me. Evil git! ha ha :mad: :mad: :mad: :) :mad: :mad: :moon:

Well... yours is hardly that obvious either!

nessyfencer
-7th March 2005, 23:05
Under the sea? Must mean between Dundee and Edinburgh?

D'Artignan
-7th March 2005, 23:06
Originally posted by MakeTradeFair
Well... yours is hardly that obvious either! Yeah, but no-one really expects sensible stuff from me

nessyfencer
-7th March 2005, 23:07
Yeah, but no-one really expects sensible stuff from me

And that is getting too close to sensible!

D'Artignan
-7th March 2005, 23:08
And that is getting too close to sensible! Don't worry. I'm going to revert to type soon