PDA

View Full Version : Armoruer's courses

bufc99
-6th June 2003, 23:21
I think we;ve had this question b4 somewhere but I can' be bothered to search for it.

Does anyone know about Armourer's courses, if there are any offered, when , where, cost etc. or of anyone willing to come out to clubs to do a nigth on euqipment.

I'm in Birmingham fi that helps any.

Cheers

Moose
-12th June 2003, 04:35
Originally posted by bufc99
I think we;ve had this question b4 somewhere but I can' be bothered to search for it.

Looks like nobody could be bothered answering it either :grin:

oiuyt
-12th June 2003, 16:06
I could tell you about great week long courses in the US. Too late to sign up for this summer, and being a non-US citizen would about double the cost (not including the extra airfare), but if you're interested in getting more information, let me know.

-B :)

Gav
-12th June 2003, 16:10
A week long course!?

:eek:

bufc99
-13th June 2003, 09:56
Cheers oiuyt, but we need something in england and preferably in the midlands.

Cheers

Moose
-13th June 2003, 14:48
I'm not sure who to talk to in Birmingham, but in East Midlands you want to talk to John Kennedy (but don't call him Gimli :grin: )

oiuyt
-13th June 2003, 15:43
Cheers oiuyt, but we need something in england and preferably in the midlands.

Figured as much which is why I hadn't posted about it earlier.

A week long course!?

Yup. Run concurrently with our annual Coaches College courses at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, CO. Actually a series of week long courses in 3 levels, the lowest of which assumes a fair amount of knowledge (have armored at your club for a period of time, have at least helped at regional events). I annually go to the Coaches College and plan to do the armorer's college at some point when it conveniently fits my schedule (or rather when coaching courses that I need don't). Last summer I spent a fair amount of time talking with the armorers taking the course and sitting in on their study session. LOT of material gets covered (not surprising when you consider 7-8 hours in the classroom plus 2-4 hours of study per day for 7 days). LOTS of hands-on work with basically every bit of fencing kit that anyone MIGHT ever run into. Taught by Dan DeChaine, the US member of the SEMI commission, and an all-around really good guy.

-B :)

bufc99
-13th June 2003, 16:14
Cheers Moose, East midlands migth be doable, do you have any contac details or a website or something for John Kennedy so that I can get in touch with him. If so then to avoid the mods, can you PM them to me please.

Cheers

stevejackson
-22nd June 2003, 15:28
Sorry not to respond earlier - I've been on holiday - this is the only time of year I can get away.

Have you approached your region or county for help? Birmingham is West Midlands and the commitee may know some one local or agree it's a good idea and sponsor a course as they do for refereeing or coaching - don't laugh Hertfordshire did - I ran it and it made a profit or so I was told

If you're interested in the American course let me know - I've seen their work It's very good but you'll need a translation of some terms before you start. I think I can provide this (well better than nothing) and they do seem to see a much wider range of kit than we do in this country.

Armoury courses try the Armourers Guild - depending on what you want it will depend on how long it takes. If you just want quick help or deep advice on a single topic talk to the armoury staff at any open - We're all pretty friendly and love assistance. People offering coffee are even more welcome. Best bet would be the Nationals (Sunday is usually quieter) but we've a large contingent of active armourers there.

For more formal sessions I can suggest 4 people to contact

Peter or Janet Hugins based in Kent but they will both travel. I know they've done courses for the Welsh and the Army.

John Kenedy based in Sutton in Ashfield Notts.

Finally you could try Steve Jackson (i.e. me) I'm based in St Ives Camb. To far from Birmingham to do evenings I'm afraid. but Saturday Morning would be possible. Contact me here for help or if you want to go for one of the others I'm happy to pass your request on.

Steve J

Rdb811
-22nd June 2003, 20:13
Ian de Whalley runs a course for Surrey each year.

bufc99
-22nd June 2003, 23:17
Cheers for the help peeps, i'll have a word with my club captain and see what we can do.

3 Card Trick
-23rd June 2003, 07:18
Pete Huggins is running a course in Davyhulme near Manchester on Saturday 19th July.