PDA

View Full Version : Milton Keynes Sunday club

Adler
-12th January 2005, 18:05
Does anyone know if Prof Mike Law still runs the Sunday Coaching Club?

jasonf
-13th January 2005, 08:18
Yes, the next session is due on the 23rd January.

The location is Radcliffe School Aylesbury Street West Wolverton Milton Keynes MK12 5BT

From 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.

map: http://multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&db=pc&cidr_client=none&lang=&pc=MK125BT&advanced=&client=public&addr2=&quicksearch=MK12+5BT&addr3=&addr1=

If you pm me, I can send you mike's email address if you need it.

Touché Turtle
-13th January 2005, 09:14
Prof. Mike Law was my first coach when I was at school over 20 years ago! Good to hear he's still fencing. :)

jacquesdor
-18th January 2005, 14:30
I live near Milton Keynes and am looking for other fencing venues. I would say Ii am a good beginner. can anyone tell me the format there? Would not want to be a hold up to other more experienced fencers. I fence foil.
Thank you.

randomsabreur
-18th January 2005, 18:34
Depending on where in Northants you live, there are Bedford Fencing Club (Bedford - website www.bedfordfencing.co.uk ) open to all levels from people who have done equivalent of 10 weeks fencing ish - you'll be fine from your description- upwards) Certainly the biggest local club, in my opinion the best.

Milton Keynes Fencing Club, smaller, was based at Stantonbury Campus Leisure Centre in Milton Keynes when last I went/heard

Northampton and Towcester both have fairly small clubs as well - but at foil at least there are a fair few decent young competitive fencers at least.

North Northants (close to M1 particularly) may be closer to clubs such as Leicester - East Midlands region.

Most provincial clubs are open to beginners and actively welcome them, I can only think of a couple of London based clubs that are aimed exclusively at experienced fencers

jasonf
-19th January 2005, 09:00
Originally posted by jacquesdor
I live near Milton Keynes ... can anyone tell me the format there?

The sunday club is a monthly coach education session (i.e. coaching coaches) for a three hour session. The information on the sort of stuff covered can be gleaned from the course notes below:

http://www.cramphorn.demon.co.uk/herts/resources/miltonkeynes.html

It is mainly foil with some epee. - it depends upon what the nascent coaches want to learn.

As such a reasonable beginner , you would be welcome to come and pair up with one of the coaches and receive lessons.

I'll pm you some more details.