PDA

View Full Version : Bug eyed boxes

Liv
-7th June 2003, 17:40
Just read some of Leon Paul news and am intrigued about those bug eyed boxes. Is anybody still using them? They seem to be quite a marvelous and stunning piece of equipment, surely an antique and worth a lot to the collector of fencing "stuff".

:cool:

Aoife
-7th June 2003, 18:17
Bug-eyed boxes?

Nothing like bug-eyed cars I hope.

I hate bug-eyed cars (the new Nissan Micra is a demonstration of a 'bug-eyed car').

Sorry, going off on a tangent already.

Please, tell me more about bug-eyed boxes, and how they differ from normal boxes. (and before anybody comments, I know full well we're talking SCORING boxes here! :tongue: )

Cheetara
-7th June 2003, 19:02
Sheffield Buccaneers has one in working order

Hudson
-7th June 2003, 20:51
i have a one in my room at Coltishall, not sure if it wirks still.

Rdb811
-7th June 2003, 23:19
Bug eyed boxes are teh old Leon Paul trnasistor boxes dating back to the sixties - both of the clubs that I fence at still use a couple. The Streatham ones will probably replaced over the summer,even though we're no longer using them except in emergencies.

wingnutLP
-9th June 2003, 11:32
A suprising number still work.

DC at LP keeps a record of each box we have ever made and the times (if ever it has been repaired).

Unfortunately the parts are now so expensive and rare that they can't be repaired.

Also, the transistor system is very hard to modify when new rules are introduced so a new microchip (how very modern!!) box has been designed.

ceprab
-9th June 2003, 12:58
We use one.

In fact it's my favourite because it is big and loud and looks impressive so we can use it for demos and stuff.

It also came with a circuit diagram so if it breaks we will try to fix it ourselves. We have enough electrical engineers that someone ought to be able to do it.
Richard
Bath Uni.

wingnutLP
-9th June 2003, 15:39
But try changing the timing!!

You need to remove random components and replace them with other seemingly random components!

Is nice if you can fix things yourself though...

Barry Paul
-12th June 2003, 15:07
Due to the lack of components Leon Paul can no longer repair these Bug Eye Boxes. Sorry they are 35 plus years old and we have finally had to stop taking them in for repair. ( try geting a two year old radio fixed).
We are making a special offer for 150 we will swop a working or broken Bug Eye for a two wepons club battery box. Barry Paul Leon Paul

lindsay watkiss
-15th June 2003, 21:46
:)
We have a bug-eyed box and used it on a regular bases, until it started to dim the lights in the fencing salle, when we used to switch it on?

May take you up on that swap box deal Barry.

Barry Paul
-16th June 2003, 07:26
Why not, Send the old one back we will post one out by return 150 plus 12.98 for batteries if required and 7.5 p and p. Barry Paul

Marcos
-17th June 2003, 15:06
Salle Duffy has around 5 bug-eyed boxes working!

sparkymark567
-9th July 2003, 00:57
Originally posted by lindsay watkiss
:)
We have a bug-eyed box and used it on a regular bases, until it started to dim the lights in the fencing salle, when we used to switch it on?

May take you up on that swap box deal Barry.

Good for you, trade it in a.s.a.p. If it's dimming the lights there is no way on earth that I would want to touch it with a barge pole. Sounds very dodgy to me. Have some common sense and stop using it straight away.

I'm sure you don't want to end up like burnt toast.

Jenrick
-27th July 2003, 22:35
We have one at Stormont. Looks like like we'll take up that offer.