PDA

View Full Version : Promotion Playoffs/Relegation

Maxim
-21st January 2005, 20:14
Can someone explain what promotion playoffs are (their format etc.) and when are they likely to be held?

pigeonmeister
-24th January 2005, 12:19
I'm not sure either. I think that the winners of all the provincial leagues somehow play off to gain promotion to the premiership (North and South). All the winners also join the Premiership teams for the Cup. Those coming 2nd or 3rd go into the shield. I think this starts April'ish?

Maxim
-24th January 2005, 13:01
OK, but what happens when you win regional division 2. I know you get to fence in the shield, but how does the promotion to division 1 work? Do we fence the bottom team(s) of that division?

pigeonmeister
-24th January 2005, 14:46
Dunno

The bottom 2 of the SE Conference Mens 1A's get automatically relegated. I can't see who you could play off to get into this league. It can't be those automatically relegated or those who are relegated from the Premiership South. Similarily it would be unfair to fence off the top two teams in your league for promotion.

I reckon if you win your league, you should go straight up.

Naimst
-25th January 2005, 15:11
Not sure what happens for D1/D2 Promotion and Relegation, but for the D1/Prem, last year the winners of the regional D1 leagues fenced each other and then the winners of that fight fenced the losing team from the Prem, so it was possible for them all to stay in their orignal leagues.
Not that it happened like that.
N

Emma T
-25th January 2005, 17:16
Originally posted by pigeonmeister
I'm not sure either. I think that the winners of all the provincial leagues somehow play off to gain promotion to the premiership (North and South). All the winners also join the Premiership teams for the Cup. Those coming 2nd or 3rd go into the shield. I think this starts April'ish?

I thought it was those coming 2nd, 3rd or 4th? Not massively important, but with a league of 4(!), I thought that everyone was guaranteed a go at something!

What happens to the winner of the shield, I heard that they might also get a promotion play off, but then that might be hearsay...

edwin
-26th January 2005, 09:31
Directly from the BUSA website.
Premier N & Premier S

"Top 5 teams to Championship. Bottom team to relegation playoffs. BUSA's National Committee reserves the right to amend these knockout qualification and promotion / relegation details in exceptional circumstances."

For the Conference Leagues

"Top 1st team to Championship. 2nd, 3rd & 4th placed 1st teams to Shield. Top 2nd team to Trophy. Top 1st team to promotion playoffs. BUSA's National Committee reserves the right to amend these knockout qualification and promotion / relegation details in exceptional circumstances."

JEH

edwin
-26th January 2005, 09:45
So by the looks of it there is a competition involving the last teams in the two premier leagues (N&S) and the winners from the 5 conferences (Midlands, N., Scottish, SE & W) with the winner being promoted to their appropriate league.

JEH

PS on a technical note The Mens S Premier need not submit any team to the relegation as it only has 5 teams.

Maxim
-26th January 2005, 10:26
Thanks, yet the question is mainly about D1/D2. The premier league regulations are quite clear (as you have pointed out).

pqg
-26th January 2005, 10:31
Originally posted by edwin
So by the looks of it there is a competition involving the last teams in the two premier leagues (N&S) and the winners from the 5 conferences (Midlands, N., Scottish, SE & W) with the winner being promoted to their appropriate league.

JEH

PS on a technical note The Mens S Premier need not submit any team to the relegation as it only has 5 teams.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe the Scottish conference is not included in that. There is no system in place to allow Scottish teams to reach the Premier leagues, but (presumably as compensation for this) they get to send the top 2 teams in their conference to the championship instead of just the winners.

Myopic is the man to confirm this (or inform me I'm out of date ;) )

pigeonmeister
-27th January 2005, 13:11
Originally posted by Emma T

What happens to the winner of the shield, I heard that they might also get a promotion play off, but then that might be hearsay...

We won the shield last year but didn't get a play off for the prem.

- So how do the winners of Midlands, North, S.E, and West leagues (plus the team coming last in Prem North) play off and when?

Kepster
-27th January 2005, 13:45
Originally posted by pigeonmeister
We won the shield last year but didn't get a play off for the prem.

- So how do the winners of Midlands, North, S.E, and West leagues (plus the team coming last in Prem North) play off and when?

As far as I understand it, winners of North 1A & 1B play off, winner of that plays winner of Midlands 1A, winner of that plays against bottom of Premier North for promotion.

For the South, Winners of West & S.E. play off, winner against bottom of Premier South.

Not sure about the dates though

Flemily
-31st January 2005, 01:58
"Top 1st team to Championship. 2nd, 3rd & 4th placed 1st teams to Shield. Top 2nd team to Trophy. Top 1st team to promotion playoffs. BUSA's National Committee reserves the right to amend these knockout qualification and promotion / relegation details in exceptional circumstances."

So does that mean that if you win a conference league then you are entered into the play-offs for the prem AND the championship?? or are they the same thing???

pigeonmeister
-31st January 2005, 10:29
The Championship is a knock-out comp between the top 5 of the Premiership (both) and the winners of the various conferences. A bit like the football Champions League with the Shield more like the EUFA Cup.

Dunno what trophy is though